Derrick Walker challenged to be the player Rick Barnes Recruited

SJAVol32

UT Vols' Derrick Walker challenged to be the player Rick Barnes recruited

“We talked to him about being the player that we know we recruited – a guy that can be aggressive, can be physical, can rebound and can run,” Barnes said Saturday.

Walker responded Friday, and it carried into Saturday, playing double-digit minutes as No. 3 Tennessee (12-1, 1-0 SEC) trucked Georgia (8-5, 0-1) in a 96-50 win at Thompson-Boling Arena. Walker played 10 minutes, matching a season-high five points and grabbing a pair of rebounds.

Sounds like Barnes wants Walker to take a Reggie Evans type role. It was great seeing Kyle own the boards Saturday. Hopefully, Walker and Fulk will bring the same energy Kyle did towards rebounding the rest of this season. If we start rebounding well, the only weakness this team will have is our three point shooting from our guards (I expect their % to increase because they all shot over 38% last year) and Pons.

Reactions: The Dog
Watch Walker during player intros. He doesn't just give a little fist bump... he's barking at and chest bumping each starter as they're introduced. After games, even if he barely played, he'll walk off of the court with his arm around a walk-on or whichever teammate is nearby. Even though his stats don't reflect it right now, he epitomizes what makes this team excellent. They're possibly my favorite one ever.

Watch Walker during player intros. He doesn't just give a little fist bump... he's barking at and chest bumping each starter as they're introduced. After games, even if he barely played, he'll walk off of the court with his arm around a walk-on or whichever teammate is nearby. Even though his stats don't reflect it right now, he epitomizes what makes this team excellent. They're possibly my favorite one ever.
Did you see the video of him and the strength coach pregame? Not sure how Walker didn’t wreck his should or how Medemwald stayed standing.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I thought Walker looked slimmer and better conditioned,but still stands a lot instead of moving around more and getting in better floor position.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I thought Walker looked slimmer and better conditioned,but still stands a lot instead of moving around more and getting in better floor position.

He's definitely lost weight. So much so and he seems a bit less energetic that I had wondered if he might have had mononucleosis or something to lose that much. Medical issues are kept so much quieter these day.

Loved his second half dunk versus Georgia. I bet we see more of that going forward. Burns and Walker are going to elevate each other's games going against each other in workouts over the next couple of years.

We don't get to see it much since in his limited minutes he's usually posting up down low, but he's a really good passer. He's a perfect fit for this system. Unselfish. Smart.

Reactions: calban and The Dog
Gonna be honest, all i remember of Walker Saturday was him making a bad pass to Admiral, Admiral giving him a "wtf man??" face, then draining a 3 in a dawgs face lol

If Rick Barnes challenges someone, they usually respond. It happened with Grant his Freshman year, happened with Admiral in Barnes’ first year, happened with Kyle last year, happened with Bone since he got here. Notice a trend? Those are the top contributors and they all got challenged by Barnes at some point. Barnes knows what he’s doing.

Reactions: 1985Vols
If Rick Barnes challenges someone, they usually respond. It happened with Grant his Freshman year, happened with Admiral in Barnes’ first year, happened with Kyle last year, happened with Bone since he got here. Notice a trend? Those are the top contributors and they all got challenged by Barnes at some point. Barnes knows what he’s doing.
Barnes knows who can take being challenged and that is the type player he recruits. No surprise that so many respond and that he has a low attrition rate.

Barns really gets in his players heads, in a good way. Connects with them then uses the relationship to mold them. Really a special management skill. Walker will get there. He may have that thing underclassmen get where they are waiting their turn.

He's going to have to improve a lot but Coach Barnes understands how to manage personalities. If you ever heard people say they like hearing the big Luther Vandross sing and not the small Luther. Well the big Derrick Walker looked more formidable though this version is more in shape.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Barnes knows who can take being challenged and that is the type player he recruits. No surprise that so many respond and that he has a low attrition rate.
Don't think he has a low attrition rate but the rest I'll buy. Didn't realize how many til Thunder started listing them yesterday. But of course, most weren't his recruits.

Don't think he has a low attrition rate but the rest I'll buy. Didn't realize how many til Thunder started listing them yesterday. But of course, most weren't his recruits.

Compared to the rest of CBB I would say it’s less than average, especially if you eliminate the guys that weren’t his recruits.

You mean Barnes didn't walk around practice, with a Microphone, calling him out.......hmmm!?!?

Last edited:
Compared to the rest of CBB I would say it’s less than average, especially if you eliminate the guys that weren’t his recruits.
Kwe and Ray were his only 2.Phillips, Owens, McGhee,Carmichael,Thompson -Tyndall's or was thompson Cuonzo's. Been a while.

VN Store

Back