Derrick Tinsley

He's done. That's all I have heard.

Broken leg. Tennessee career over. Derek has been an interesting player for the vols. Plenty of big plays (e.g. Bama punt return but wasn't he the guy in the 2002 bama game that didn't catch the "lateral" that bama returned to start the onslaught?) but never seemed to do it consistently. I don't know if it was him or circumstance. I always liked him though and he certainly was important this year. Sad to see him go on a freak accident like that.

I don't think we ever saw his full potential. Has to be classified as an underachiever but like you said it could be circumstance.

I can remember before the 2002 season, Fulmer said he was going to get Tinsley the ball every way he could. He did, but Derrick just couldn't come up with the big play. Hes kind a dropped off since.

I have class with Derrick, he's really broken up about it! :cross:

Originally posted by volbrian@Nov 8, 2004 10:21 PM
I can remember before the 2002 season, Fulmer said he was going to get Tinsley the ball every way he could. He did, but Derrick just couldn't come up with the big play. Hes kind a dropped off since.

??? :blink:

Tinsley had 20 receptions and scored 5 TDs (25%) in 2002. He also rushed 45 times for 202 yards (4.5 average). Last year, he only had 7 receptions but still scored 3 touchdowns. He also scored a rushing TD on 6 attempts... averaged 11.2 yards per rush. Did not see action until the Alabama game last season, where he came up huge in the overtime win. He took a reverse down field 28 yards and scored a touchdown in the first overtime. He was the hero against Miami, scoring on a reverse for the games only touchdown and also jumping on a fumbled punt that iced the game.

I've heard CPF say many times that it was his (CPF) fault for not getting the ball to Tinsley more because Tinsley is a play maker.

UTVOLFAN please do pass on to DT that we will miss him and thank him for all he has done. Tell him that we will keep him in our prayers.

I read somewhere that there was slight hope he could play in the bowl game?!?! I mean, even if he can't be at "go" speed... put him on the field for kickoff or something. DT deserves at least that. He did everything he could to help our team win...

I'm pretty sure he's the one that won the Miami game last year... or was that Larkins?

VN Store

Back