Derrick Ansley Hired as New DB Coach

Maybe I just remember, but it didn't seem like there were as much discussion with those two as it is now. Obviously I remember it being brought up occasionally, but just not discussed this much.

Anyway, no big deal, I'm just messing around waiting on that little girl that called me a moron and an idiot to come back around and see if she's calmed down any.

How you doing? Feeling better about the future of Vol football? (Except for Jurmy leaving for Bama).
All good in Sarasota. Mom & Dad left yesterday to head back to LC.

Re: UT football...on paper it's coming together. If these coaches can inject some attitude to go along with the players' talent I'll be happy. I just want our opponents to walk, limp, shuffle off the field knowing they were in a battle. Win or lose, I can handle the outcome.

EDIT: Regardless, I'm going to do my best to behave in 2019!

What's happening in Ft. Myers?

Last edited:
Apparently a lot of people who have knowledge on the subject care. But thanks for sharing with the group what it will take to get you interested

Like most of us give a crap.
Come to think of it, most of us don't give a crap what most of us say. For a guy to not give a crap what he says, well who gives a crap!!!

Another way of looking at things...if Pruitt goes through the fires and tribulation to rebuild something special at UT, would he be inclined to leave it for a job to follow in the footsteps of what is arguably the greatest college football coach the sport has seen at a school where not winning the championship every year is seen as a failure? It's said...and for good reason....you don't want to be the guy who replaces a legend. You want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the legend. Hey, he may want to return to bama when the time comes, but he might just turn out to be like Dabo. Build something grand and enjoy it. Why jump when you have all you want where you are?
Timing is a big factor tho. Bama approaches Dabo a few seasons ago, and it’s unlikely he turns them down imo. Right now he’s built his own legend. I compare it to Kansas alum turning down multiple overtures to return to his alma mater after he had built that at UNC. One could always hope with Pruitt, but at this early stage I don’t think he’s gone all in emotional attachment wise. He’s doing his job how he does it. Hard to tell because the son of a coach doesn’t let much slip as way of a clue.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
All good in Sarasota. Mom & Dad left yesterday to head back to LC.

Re: UT football...on paper it's coming together. If these coaches can inject some attitude to go along with the players' talent I'll be happy. I just want our opponents to walk, limp, shuffle off the field knowing they were in a battle. Win or lose, I can handle the outcome.

EDIT: Regardless, I'm going to do my best to behave in 2019!

What's happening in Ft. Myers?

That's most important to me in 2019. That's what I hoped for last season and was disappointed, not give up disappointed, just disappointed. I've forgotten 2018 and have cleaned the slate. I mean, unless its a repeat, then ....well I don't think it will be.

Things are good here, just hoping for some cooler weather before summer skips spring.

That's most important to me in 2019. That's what I hoped for last season and was disappointed, not give up disappointed, just disappointed. I've forgotten 2018 and have cleaned the slate. I mean, unless its a repeat, then ....well I don't think it will be.

Me too. I was hoping to see a bit more fight. The team was softer than I had hoped. Maybe year 2 is when it kicks in.

Things are good here, just hoping for some cooler weather before summer skips spring.

It may be too late...at least up here.

So is it certain that D Ansley has been hired? I read “reports” and reports on “reports” saying it was reported, but is it a done deal yet? Always hate it when Sexton is involved

And the BOOMS just keep on coming!!! Man, my optimism just keeps growing.
There will be a battered Vol to rise up and try to squash your optimism. Actually Pruitt seems to be transforming and making believers out of some I thought would never go that way.

This off season so far has told me one thing.

The University of Tennessee is committed to winning again. The football program is going to back to being the front porch.

And it seems we have the right people at the helm.

I think the future is pretty bright and no longer a matter of "if", but "when".

I don't think anyone else in the conference had had as good an off season as us, in totality.

Which is huge considering the off season we had last year.

Now go win 7+ games and sign a great class next cycle and the sky is the limit.

Reactions: 7maxims and Behr
This off season so far has told me one thing.

The University of Tennessee is committed to winning again. The football program is going to back to being the front porch.

And it seems we have the right people at the helm.

I think the future is pretty bright and no longer a matter of "if", but "when".

I don't think anyone else in the conference had had as good an off season as us, in totality.

Which is huge considering the off season we had last year.

Now go win 7+ games and sign a great class next cycle and the sky is the limit.

I peed a little.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Sounds like we’ll be lucky to hang on to Ansley for more than a year. Pruitt might have to actually give up play calling duties if he wants all these studs on staff.

Good problem to have right now though!!

I hope he is good at what he does. Our backfield has been a weak spot for many years.

I like several things about the hire.

1)Fair is supposedly a decent coach, but Ansley is seen as one of the better DB coaches out there.
2)Ansley is also an elite recruiter as well. That's a step forward from Fair on two fronts.
3)Ansley is a much more expensive option as well. How many years have we seen our AD go cheap on assistants.
4)Ansley left the NFL to step back down to the college level. I think that speaks well for retention unless he gets offered a HC gig somewhere.

Pruitt nor Fulmer seem to be satisfied with average which is highly encouraging given what we've seen in the past.

Former Troy DC Wayne Bolt coached Ansley and says he wouldn't have left the NFL for just anything.

Derrick Ansley ‘would not have left for just anything’

Standard VolsWire m.o. - Contact distant associate of important person. Get them to say 3 general statements about the person. Extract 1 statement that looks meaningful, but isn't, to be the headline. Fill in 3 paragraphs with regurgitated bio. Onto the next article...

Last edited:
Reactions: NYCVolunteer
Not to bump a post but... you’re about to see this spring why this was such a big hire for Tennessee and Coach Pruitt.

QUOTE="TennesseeTarheel, post: 16455454, member: 66879"]Three weeks after it was announced?[/QUOTE]
I think you missed the sarcasm!

VN Store

Back