"Departures have Saban Seeking Answers"

Man RJD, I'd love it if you are right. The contrast in styles between Dabo and Saban couldn't be more glaring. Dabo has joy in his soul, win or lose, and Saban has neither joy nor (apparently) a soul.

If I'm a 5* I'm going to Clemson all day long over Bama right now. And the bloodshed in Ttown is only making that more clear.

At worst case scenario the Tide go 11-1. If the wheels fall off they will be 9-3 or 10-2. That would cause mass concern among the Tide faithful that Saban’s days at the top of the mountain might be nearing an end...next year will be interesting to see what happens. Go Vols!!!!

A loyal tide fan said after the game

“We used to be good at football”

This is merely a set up for Saban to throw it back in everyone’s faces.

Reactions: feathersax
Man RJD, I'd love it if you are right. The contrast in styles between Dabo and Saban couldn't be more glaring. Dabo has joy in his soul, win or lose, and Saban has neither joy nor (apparently) a soul.

If I'm a 5* I'm going to Clemson all day long over Bama right now. And the bloodshed in Ttown is only making that more clear.
I think Saban is a completely different person when the cameras are off. You don't become the greatest recruiter the sport has ever seen with a cranky, damp rag-personality. I think he's hesitant to glowingly compliment his teams/players or appear happy and joyous in the media because he's afraid they'll take their foot off the gas. Remember he called media compliments and praise of Alabama "rat poison" last season.

He's kind of the opposite of some celebrities - when the cameras are on, he's this cranky and joyless guy but when the cameras are off he pretty clearly can appeal and relate to his players.

I think Saban is a completely different person when the cameras are off. You don't become the greatest recruiter the sport has ever seen with a cranky, damp rag-personality. I think he's hesitant to glowingly compliment his teams/players or appear happy and joyous in the media because he's afraid they'll take their foot off the gas. Remember he called media compliments and praise of Alabama "rat poison" last season.

He's kind of the opposite of some celebrities - when the cameras are on, he's this cranky and joyless guy but when the cameras are off he pretty clearly can appeal and relate to his players.

It's no coincidence that Saban came up under Bill Belichick.

Reactions: feathersax
@bamawriter

I’ve got a question:

Some kids are committed to coaches so if they’re leaving Bama how come the kids don’t follow? I understand it’s not every case but this never happens there. TIA

@bamawriter

I’ve got a question:

Some kids are committed to coaches so if they’re leaving Bama how come the kids don’t follow? I understand it’s not every case but this never happens there. TIA

It never really happens anywhere.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. Do you have a specific player or two in mind?

It never really happens anywhere.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. Do you have a specific player or two in mind?

Not really, but players have de committed in the past. Just thought it was a good question since staff turnover is so high at Bama

Not really, but players have de committed in the past. Just thought it was a good question since staff turnover is so high at Bama

Oh, I thought you meant current players.

We've had decommitments. Some have been for coaches. I bet we loses the LB from Cali now that Tosh is gone.

Not saying it’ll happen but Tennessee has room lol
we are next in line.

the issue with Bama right now is most of their class is signed. so they can't leave.

also as long as Saban is there most of them are going to be happy anyway.

Have a general question about recruiting. Lupoi was a defensive analyst/LB coach/DC at Alabama. He was the primary recruiter for Tua, Jonah Williams, Najee Harris, and Alex Leatherwood. All highly recruited offensive guys.

This happens a ton in college recruiting, but isn't it funny how lots of times the primary recruiter for a kid is an assistant coach at a different position than they will play, sometimes not even on the same side of the ball? If I were Tua, Harris, or any one of those offensive players, I'm not sure I'd allow myself to be swayed too much by a coach who isn't going to be coaching/teaching me on a day to day basis, and honestly might not have much contact with at all if I decide to go there. I mean, I'm assuming Lupoi didn't spend one second coaching Tua or any of those offensive players he recruited, right?

It seems like if you're being recruited, you'd want/need to be sold by the head coach, your position coach, and/or perhaps the coordinator on your side of the ball. I get that recruiting is like being a salesman, and the guy who sells you a car is a different person than the one you'll take the car to if you have something wrong with it. But your college choice will be driven a lot by where you'll think you'll get the most developed - seems like your position coach would be a key figure in your recruitment.

Have a general question about recruiting. Lupoi was a defensive analyst/LB coach/DC at Alabama. He was the primary recruiter for Tua, Jonah Williams, Najee Harris, and Alex Leatherwood. All highly recruited offensive guys.

This happens a ton in college recruiting, but isn't it funny how lots of times the primary recruiter for a kid is an assistant coach at a different position than they will play, sometimes not even on the same side of the ball? If I were Tua, Harris, or any one of those offensive players, I'm not sure I'd allow myself to be swayed too much by a coach who isn't going to be coaching/teaching me on a day to day basis, and honestly might not have much contact with at all if I decide to go there. I mean, I'm assuming Lupoi didn't spend one second coaching Tua or any of those offensive players he recruited, right?

It seems like if you're being recruited, you'd want/need to be sold by the head coach, your position coach, and/or perhaps the coordinator on your side of the ball. I get that recruiting is like being a salesman, and the guy who sells you a car is a different person than the one you'll take the car to if you have something wrong with it. But your college choice will be driven a lot by where you'll think you'll get the most developed - seems like your position coach would be a key figure in your recruitment.

The "lead recruiter" tag is a bit of a misnomer. It's really done to keep things organized. Sometimes position or geography plays a small role, but it's usually just about the division of labor.

I respect Gump. I hate Florida, and both their fan bases. Nothing is going to be sweeter than to see Alabama fans crying over losses. I mean physical tears.
What's funny is that it won't take much. I know that Bammers think that any loss is shocking, but what's the last truly shocking loss they had? 2015 Ole Miss? It happens so infrequently that when it happens again, and it will, it is such a shock to their system. Most of these people think 14-1 with an SEC Championship is a horrendous season. Hell, I'd be thrilled if I saw Tennessee have a season like that once in the next 25 years. Alabama has had 7 seasons at least that good just in the last 10 years.

W
What's funny is that it won't take much. I know that Bammers think that any loss is shocking, but what's the last truly shocking loss they had? 2015 Ole Miss? It happens so infrequently that when it happens again, and it will, it is such a shock to their system. Most of these people think 14-1 with an SEC Championship is a horrendous season. Hell, I'd be thrilled if I saw Tennessee have a season like that once in the next 25 years. Alabama has had 7 seasons at least that good just in the last 10 years.
whats their main forum they use? I would be interested to see how they are melting down at their nuclear core right now....

Johnny Football piling up over 500 yards of offense on them and a loss was shocking at the time.

VN Store

Back