Delmonico Era Over, Let's Talk new Replacements.

adidassler99

Let's open the board up to Prosepective replacements:

Leader in the clubhouse,

University of Memphis, Daron Schoenrock.????

I just saw where Coastal Carolina's coach is being considered....what do you know about him and his style of play?

He's done at outstanding job there getting them a number 1 seed for the tournament, but I believe they were eliminated in the tournament yesterday.

Gary Gilmore can coach, a little brash, maybe not the marketing personality that Hamilton may be looking for, not charasimatic guy like Bruce Pearl.

I think he is defenitely in the top 5 on Hamilton's short list.

Contact has been made by University of Tennessee officials to Austin Peay coach Gary McClure. This is in my opinion more of a courtesy call by Mike Hamilton. Congrats on the great season, would like to offer you the job, but, no thanks.

Will we hire an outside firm as in basketball...or will Hamilton do this himself.....Hamilton is considered a baseball guy isn't he?

The University of Tennessee has asked Vanderbilt for permission to talk to Tim Corbin. Also, University of Memphis Baseball coach Daron Schoenrock was in town meeting with University officials.

Let's open the board up to Prosepective replacements:

Leader in the clubhouse,

University of Memphis, Daron Schoenrock.????
I've stated it in other posts but I think there are many good candidates out there with the progression of college baseball in the last 10 years. There will always be a "short list" but top on my list is John Pawlowski, Head Coach at the College of Charleston. Former MLB pitcher, played at Clemson, assistant coach at Clemson and Arizona State. Knows big time baseball and recruiting. See for yourself at JohnPawlowski.com Link

Another head coach rumored to be interested is Kevin Cooney at Florida Atlantic, established head coach with numerous regionals and a win over Alabama in Tuscaloosa regional. Heard he has a home near Knoxville and is interested in the job. He's a veteran coach to stabilize the program.

Thats an interesting name in the Florida Atlantic coach. I went to the games we played down there last season and they had a strong team. What makes that really amazing is their stadium is really poor-In order to find a restroom you have to leave the park and go across to the swimming complex and use the lockerroom there-LOL.
If he manages to recruit good players and go to regionals regularly there, I'd like to see what he could do here.

Thats an interesting name in the Florida Atlantic coach. I went to the games we played down there last season and they had a strong team. What makes that really amazing is their stadium is really poor-In order to find a restroom you have to leave the park and go across to the swimming complex and use the lockerroom there-LOL.
If he manages to recruit good players and go to regionals regularly there, I'd like to see what he could do here.

I was there too, and liked things I saw from their coach. Their team gave Tennessee a run for their money in 2 of the games.

there's an article on govolsxtra saying UT has contacted College of Charleston's head coach.

Kevin Cooney is a great choice. I watched his name in this forum, and have come up with an interesting stat. In 2002, as the quote from the FAU Owls website states, he managed to defeat 3rd ranked Alabama. While this seems good enough, he defeated Alabama with teams around him cherry picking the “best” players. Lest we forget, he must contend with Miami, FSU, Florida, and others, that recruit with more illustrious carrots. His carrot is he cares, listens, finds talent, and then coaches the talent well.

Under Cooney's guidance, the Owls have won two A-Sun regular season titles and an A-Sun postseason championship, and have played in seven NCAA Regionals. In 2002 FAU won the University's first NCAA Regional championship, defeating 3rd ranked Alabama on their home field. (From Player Bio: Kevin Cooney :: Baseball )

Doing a little more research, there is a website, College Baseball Insider , that has some more insight to the personal thoughts of Kevin Cooney. There are journals that several people keep, Kevin is no exception. The link, March 28 , allows people to understand what goes though his mind during an away game...at the very least. Down near the bottom, he defines himself as a leader, understanding how people operate, listening, really listening, and being able to not only win well, but how to console to an individual loss. The other journals are just as well written, and provide more evidence of heart.

Kevin Cooney has something special. I have seen some of his games, I have read about the condition of the stadium, and have witnessed his ability to lead an adequate program to more than adequate results. If he can endow the University of Tennessee program with the results of FAU, the VOL Baseball Program could not help but benefit…and even, possibly, ….dare it to be mentioned….be champions?

FWIW, I like Bobby Pierce (Troy U), Kevin O'Sullivan (AC Clempppson), Serrano (UCI) and Toman (USCar).

Coach Schoenrock has league experience, assistant at Kentucky, Georgia, Mississippi State. Head Coaching Experience, took won National Championship at Birmingham Southern.

Coach Rock has good repor with local Tennessee High School coaches. He can get the job done.

I Read Somewhere That Ut's A.d. Is Looking For A Coach With Experience, And Head Coaching Experience To Boot. I Also Read That Kevin Cooney (from Fau) Is Interested. I Just Moved To Tenn. From South Fla. I Have Been To A Lot Of Fau Baseball Games In The Past. I Had The Chance To Meet Coach Cooney Before, He Is A Stand Up Guy, Knows How To Coach, And Cares About The Players He Coaches.
Coach Cooney Has Over 700 Wins In His Career At Fau. They Play Some Good Schools, There R.p.i. Rating Is Always Near The Top Of The Nation.

Ut Doesn't Need Another Hot Shot Coach, They Need A Solid, Proven Winner, With Experience -----like Coach Cooney.

I just do not think that Coach Cooney is familiar with the SEC and the recruiting that goes on in this league. Coach Cooney has the luxury of probably recruiting within a 150 mile radius. Unfortunately the SEC does not allow for that unless you are Florida.

VN Store

Back