Defensive philosophy

Roustabout

I know we’ve had posters break down film on the football side. It would be nice to have someone breakdown this team. I saw some continual defensive concerns that hurt this team all year.

Being a primarily man to man team they struggled all year defending the three. The tourney games saw them give up a crazy high % from beyond the arc.

Another thing that hurt this team was our bigs pursuing their man on defense beyond the three point line. The other teams would often set a high screen with their big. Our big would often attempt to double team the ball handler, which left their man unguarded and sprinting back toward the post. Purdue had success with this on multiple occasions, which resulted in unresisted layups and dunks.

When you see the same errors over and over you start to think it’s a coaching issue. This tourney has shown the importance of the 3 ball. What tendencies did you see?

Purdue burned us a couple of times with the fake screen, but you have to hedge with your bigs sometimes or you get killed by the pick and roll.

Reactions: savannahfan
Though we're out, many folks on TV thought we had the best, top to bottom team. Auburn is man, but think they probably have quicker guys. That being said, what we've really not had, because it's not our true identity is consistent 3's, though Bone, Lamonte, Admiral had their runs. After a couple days, and watching Auburn last night, whether it's a one game occurrence, or consistent like Auburn's run... I don't care who you are, if you run up against that team that is just unconsciously hitting contested 3's like Purdue Thursday or Auburn last night, there's really not much you can do about it. UNC was totally out done and looked like they didn't know what hit them.

Guess we're on the Grant countdown now. If we've got Grant and Bone back, which prob won't happen, we're right back in the mix, with players coming in, and our redshirt frosh. If Lamonte doesn't have to be "that guy" on defense every night, maybe Barnes can concentrate him on being more consistent on his 3's? FWIW, I don't think Bone played his best game vs Purdue. He looked timid in some cases, and prob hurt his trajectory on draft this year. I'm hoping the loss propels them to wanting to come back for one more run.

I know we’ve had posters break down film on the football side. It would be nice to have someone breakdown this team. I saw some continual defensive concerns that hurt this team all year.

Being a primarily man to man team they struggled all year defending the three. The tourney games saw them give up a crazy high % from beyond the arc.

Another thing that hurt this team was our bigs pursuing their man on defense beyond the three point line. The other teams would often set a high screen with their big. Our big would often attempt to double team the ball handler, which left their man unguarded and sprinting back toward the post. Purdue had success with this on multiple occasions, which resulted in unresisted layups and dunks.

When you see the same errors over and over you start to think it’s a coaching issue. This tourney has shown the importance of the 3 ball. What tendencies did you see?
You are right Tenn always does switch on high ball screen or DBL TEAM , that leaves opponent running unguarded to rim or mismatch 6' guard guarding
a post player this needs to change.............................GO VOLS

You are right Tenn always does switch on high ball screen or DBL TEAM , that leaves opponent running unguarded to rim or mismatch 6' guard guarding
a post player this needs to change.............................GO VOLS

They don’t always switch. Most of the time, they hedge, and then hurry back to their man.

It really didn’t matter what they did with Cline. He was unconscious. One issue in today’s game is they have the “cylinder” rule where you can’t guard a guy’s personal space, and Joe Lindsey lives to call it.

They don’t always switch. Most of the time, they hedge, and then hurry back to their man.

It really didn’t matter what they did with Cline. He was unconscious. One issue in today’s game is they have the “cylinder” rule where you can’t guard a guy’s personal space, and Joe Lindsey lives to call it.
If its a hedge that hedge is still leaving players wide open for 3 pt shots or rim dunks , these players hurrying back to cover their man aren't get there fast
enough...……………..GO VOLS

we need to play zone against the teams that shoot threes

Though we're out, many folks on TV thought we had the best, top to bottom team. Auburn is man, but think they probably have quicker guys. That being said, what we've really not had, because it's not our true identity is consistent 3's, though Bone, Lamonte, Admiral had their runs. After a couple days, and watching Auburn last night, whether it's a one game occurrence, or consistent like Auburn's run... I don't care who you are, if you run up against that team that is just unconsciously hitting contested 3's like Purdue Thursday or Auburn last night, there's really not much you can do about it. UNC was totally out done and looked like they didn't know what hit them.

Guess we're on the Grant countdown now. If we've got Grant and Bone back, which prob won't happen, we're right back in the mix, with players coming in, and our redshirt frosh. If Lamonte doesn't have to be "that guy" on defense every night, maybe Barnes can concentrate him on being more consistent on his 3's? FWIW, I don't think Bone played his best game vs Purdue. He looked timid in some cases, and prob hurt his trajectory on draft this year. I'm hoping the loss propels them to wanting to come back for one more run.
and jb didnt push the pall he would slowly bring it up the court

If its a hedge that hedge is still leaving players wide open for 3 pt shots or rim dunks , these players hurrying back to cover their man aren't get there fast
enough...……………..GO VOLS
And leads to the type of foul called on Turner(?) on that last shot by Purdue. (rushing to get there)

Zone is typically not a defense you play when the opponent shoots threes. I loved playing against a zone.

I look at it this way, which ever type of defense you play, if you play it really well (lock down well) you will likely win the game. That is with most other things being equal. Over the years, I have noticed that most close games are not won by defense or offense. What I look for are the made free throws. Usually the team that misses the most they have attempted loses.

Reactions: lynnh

Zone doesn’t allow them to set that pick the same way. I don’t think they ever tried it. We were able to put offense teams early in the year, but for some reason became less consistent as the year went along.

Zone doesn’t allow them to set that pick the same way. I don’t think they ever tried it. We were able to put offense teams early in the year, but for some reason became less consistent as the year went along.

You can still set picks against a zone. A zone does not stop shooters, and it hurts rebounding as well. You play zone mostly against a team that struggles with outside shooting. It has a time and place in certain spots, maybe to protect someone in foul trouble or just to throw another look.

That wasn’t on a screen though. Edwards pushed off and went to the short corner, and Turner followed.
Right, followed late. Like we have done on most 3s this year. What I see is not very good technique as to guarding the three, always seem to be following never anticipating.

Actually Turner was there and Willams got away with a push-off
Correct!! I made mention of this fact in another thread in a post about about officiating. They seem to even out over a whole game. But as has been stated many times, officials don't make calls that decide games in the last seconds. At least most of the time.

I look at it this way, which ever type of defense you play, if you play it really well (lock down well) you will likely win the game. That is with most other things being equal. Over the years, I have noticed that most close games are not won by defense or offense. What I look for are the made free throws. Usually the team that misses the most they have attempted loses.
That isn't what happened Thursday night. Purdue missed 17 free throws out of 33, and we only missed 14 of 28.

Reactions: TJ1985
That isn't what happened Thursday night. Purdue missed 17 free throws out of 33, and we only missed 14 of 28.
The strange thing is this game had 61 free throws and the next game same court VA/OR only had total of 13 Free throws for the game. Officiating standards difference or better disciplined teams?

Zone is typically not a defense you play when the opponent shoots threes. I loved playing against a zone.

Me too. You play zone in rec ball, when the players don’t shoot as well. Most teams at the highest levels (college and professional) shoot well, making the zone more ineffective.

Reactions: lynnh
The strange thing is this game had 61 free throws and the next game same court VA/OR only had total of 13 Free throws for the game. Officiating standards difference or better disciplined teams?
Officiating. I am in Louisville for all 3 games. There were only 5 foul shots taken in the 2nd game until the last few seconds.

Reactions: utvolkyle

VN Store

Back