Defensive Holes

tabrams

Supportin' the Cause
Call me crazy, and I’m sure it’s been discussed all spring… but I really think we need to pick up 2 more LB and 2 more corners for this season from the portal.

I know you can only get what you can get right?
But how can we compete in our backend when we lost our best 2 DBs, and barely Hv any LB?

Ideally I’d like to also add a stud DE rusher too.
I love our Coach Hype and think we will hv a nice offense again, but I’m not seeing how we can get any better than 7-5 or maybe 8-4 with no defense…
If things break badly for us we could even fall to 6-6, although I don’t see that happening.

Does anyone have any insight on how our defense will be better than last year based on our roster?

I agree with you on corner, but don't we return everyone at LB? Granted we aren't exactly returning a room full of studs, but it's hard to imagine us not improving at that position form the simple fact of returning everyone and gettign Juwan Mitchell back healthy (possibly). Maybe I'm missing something though.

Reactions: VolsSince78
I could be wrong, but is it too late to get players from the transfer portal for this coming season? Even if it isn't, the ones remaining in the portal are obviously not what the coaching staff believes will help us. But I agree with you about defense deficiencies. If we have a half way decent defense that can get some three and outs, we could beat just about any team. Games last year were painful to watch as opponents made first down conversions seemingly at will.

At LB, picked up HS signees Herring (who hopefully helps this year) and Perry, along with Nebraska transfer Hannah (who I think initially is a walk on, but chance to be placed on scholarship). We lost Willis to transfer portal.

I agree with above comments that we REALLY need quality depth at LB. Hopefully the 3 guys mentioned above will bring that.

Useful article attached shows additions/subtractions from last year’s roster by Position.

Tracking all of Tennessee’s offseason roster movement

I think we lack bodies at LB more than corner. Not sure why we didn’t get one.
The Portal as a whole was disappointing this year. I think NIL allowed alot of teams to retain the quality players that otherwise may have moved last year. There were fewer real difference makers available at most positions.

Reactions: bpalmer28
There aren't any quality transfers left I don't think.

We could easily be better at LB with Banks, Beasley, Page, Garland, Mohan and Juwan Mitchell returning healthy who of course lead Texas in tackles in 2020.
Then Elijah Herring impressed, Kalib Perry and then Jackson Hannah comes in after two years at Nebraska. Was a 3 star dude.

Lots of experience. Second year in a system. Pretty good odds our LB play is better this year. Some people don't believe in players getting better from year to year though...

Is there a John Henderson or Albert Haynesworth clone in the portal?
Young Haynesworth, I hope:p
I remember when Big John Henderson stalked the sideline. From the stands, he looked 8 feet tall and 50 years old. He was rugged and I can't imagine how intimidating that face was lined up against you, face to face.

You almost never play more than 2 LB's in this era of football. The numbers aren't that bad at either position. The question is quality and/or development. I think you only take from the portal if you have someone who is a good fit and can bring more value than the guys you have or your new recruits. Apparently UT didn't see anyone like that who wanted to be Vols.

As I said before,a few more stops on third down,the other teams defense back on the field unrested.We would score more. more pressure on opposition's defense.Better record,a lock.We could always use more players,but,this year depth will be better and,hopefully,frosh can help.
Really this O makes the game about who performs on 3rd down. UT only won one game last fall in which the opponents 3rd down conversion rate was better- UK. In wins, UT permitted only 32.7% 3rd down conversions. In losses it was 59%.

Around 40% appears to be the number on both sides of the ball. If UT converts over and allows under their likelihood of winning goes way up.

I just hope the LBs can cover this year. That was a weakness that was repeatedly exposed last year.

Call me crazy, and I’m sure it’s been discussed all spring… but I really think we need to pick up 2 more LB and 2 more corners for this season from the portal.

But how can we compete in our backend when we lost our best 2 DBs, and barely Hv any LB?

I love our Coach Hype and think we will hv a nice offense again, but I’m not seeing how we can get any better than 7-5 or maybe 8-4 with no defense…
If things break badly for us we could even fall to 6-6, although I don’t see that happening.

Does anyone have any insight on how our defense will be better than last year based on our roster?

Yes, we need more talent and depth @ LB and back end of defense. Of all people, Doug Matthews (Nashville - Big Orange Sunday radio show) s basically stated to pump the brakes on TN being 2nd in the East this yr due to defense. Many think the media will place TN behind UGA in the East. My concern is health on offense and getting off the field on defense.

Reactions: BreatheUT
I agree with you on corner, but don't we return everyone at LB? Granted we aren't exactly returning a room full of studs, but it's hard to imagine us not improving at that position form the simple fact of returning everyone and getting Juwan Mitchell back healthy (possibly). Maybe I'm missing something though.

We lost Aaron Willis to trans portal. But hopefully we get TX Transfer Mitchell back healthy and fully rehabbed.

Yeah we could sure use some quality CBs to replace Taylor and Theo Jackson. I think we are in good shape at Safety though.

Does anyone know where Q. Crouch might be playing ball next year? I would love to see him come back

We lost Aaron Willis to trans portal. But hopefully we get TX Transfer Mitchell back healthy and fully rehabbed.

Yeah we could sure use some quality CBs to replace Taylor and Theo Jackson. I think we are in good shape at Safety though.

Hopefully like some posters on here mentioned that our freshman recruits can help us out right away… we hv 2 LB, 2 corners, and a safety to provide some help…. Would be awesome to pick up 3 more transfers - a rush DE, stud LB, stud corner, lol 😂

But I guess that’s just dreaming at this point perhaps.. if we got those 3 players I think we could have a very solid team. But as we are I’m thinking our D is in for a long year ahead… I hope I am very wrong.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I think we lack bodies at LB more than corner. Not sure why we didn’t get one.

I believe Dee Williams could come in and hold his own to lock down one of the vacant corner spots. JMO

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Yes, we need more talent and depth @ LB and back end of defense. Of all people, Doug Matthews (Nashville - Big Orange Sunday radio show) s basically stated to pump the brakes on TN being 2nd in the East this yr due to defense. Many think the media will place TN behind UGA in the East. My concern is health on offense and getting off the field on defense.

It's not a defense that gets you excited going into the year. That's for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: vol94

ADD ADD ADD!!! how do you keep adding when you have all that is allowed? Not sure we are at that point, but if we "add" as many as are wished for here and those wished for in other threads, at some point you will have to subtract!!

Young Haynesworth, I hope:p
I remember when Big John Henderson stalked the sideline. From the stands, he looked 8 feet tall and 50 years old. He was rugged and I can't imagine how intimidating that face was lined up against you, face to face.

John Henderson was the driving force behind Tennessee beating Florida at Gainesville in 2001. In a interview, He said, "We are going down there to whip Florida" (Paraphrased)

Reactions: SpookyAction

VN Store

Back