DEFENSIVE HIRES

So why would Donde hire a DC who was let go just because Fulmer and Pruitt were going to be gone? That makes no sense. The more logical reason is Fulmer told Steele he would have a job here.
Insurance policy. They needed an interim in case white couldn’t make a hire; Steele wasn’t part of the staff with ncaa violations.

Reactions: BondJamesBond

Fun interview with Rodney Garner. Defensive line will be coached significantly up vs. the train wreck during the 2020 season.

Reactions: Ratvol
I’m thinking recruiting will be high on the priority list. Jancek or Martinez don’t move the needle much. Terry Fair coming back would be good.

Martinez is a great recruiter and has the reputation as one. He just sux as a developer. Fair wasn't any better when he was here.

Reactions: Ratvol
Martinez is a great recruiter and has the reputation as one. He just sux as a developer. Fair wasn't any better when he was here.
Not true. This was by far the worst year for Pruitt and Fair was not part of it. There is plenty out there that Fair was not on board with Pruitt’s tactics and got out quick.

Reactions: sjt18
Jancek would be an excellent hire to finish this staff.
Thought hit me concerning this post. Jancek supposedly had some "co-ed" issues. A running theme in the staff CJH has built is that they are guys with solid character and "good family" men. Skill wise, Jancek would seem to fit. Chemistry wise... maybe not.

I don't claim to know his future, but Steele walked in the middle of chaos and as far as I can tell, has acted very professionally and done everything Tennessee could have asked. He maintained communication with recruits and calmed many current players. He didn't bat 1.000... even Pruitt staying wouldn't have accomplished that. But he seems to have done his best to act in the best interest in the University of Tennessee.

At the time, I thought his hiring was an insurance policy, and he could add value regardless of how things worked out. Steele is like a Swiss army knife... a great tool to have when you don't know what you will need. He could serve as head coach, interim head coach, defensive coordinator, defensive position coach, analyst, effective recruiter... and could do a credible job at any of them. I though it made sense to bring him in. If Heupel trusts him and their visions match, I'd love to see him on staff in some capacity he finds rewarding. If not, UT knew when they hired him that this was a possibility and went ahead and invested the money. Steele had to see this possibility as well.

He is acting like a professional and should be treated with the commensurate level of respect whether or not he and the Vols part ways.

Well said.

Go VOLS

Reactions: BondJamesBond

VN Store

Back