defense recruiting, 2 people we have to get!!!!!

exotic_vols

UT just got a verbal commitment today from Donald Langley, #32 overall DT, from Maryland. But honestly, this guy is just average, I believe he will be no better than those DT we have right.

I just went to some major recruiting websites. 2 major defensive players we have chance, theoretically pretty good chance, to get:

1. Chris Donald: unanimous outside/strong linebacker #1 in the country, from Huntingdon, TN. Right now he is making descion between Tennessee and Notre Dame. I think Tennessee has a chance. I mean Jimmy Clausen went to ND is understandable, but Tennessee has better defensive tradition than ND.

2. Marvin Austin: unanimous DT #1 in the country, from Washington, DC. Please notice, UT top recruiting product last year: linebacker Rico McCoy is his good friend. I believe our coaches will work on this...

His interests:

Florida State: He probably will go to FSU, if he is insane. Some top FSU and Miami commitments already become available again.

Illinois: are you kidding me?

Maryland: moderate opponent, not a bad choice, also close to his family

Miami-FL: same as FSU

Southern Cal: We lost Patrick Turner (#1 widereceiver) to USC in 2005, but Turner is a widereceiver, and he is a DT. I don't believe he would like to go across the country to a offense school with average defense. Again, Tennessee has defense tradition, and don't forget: we have Rico McCoy...

I really hope we can get these two guys. They are very good players who can help us to rebuild our upfront. But I believe they will ask UT to let them start as a freshman.

Please notice these two guys.

Sounds like Austin will go to FSU. Illinois is on his list because Zook is a great recruiter. I'd love to land Donald!

UT just got a verbal commitment today from Donald Langley, #32 overall DT, from Maryland. But honestly, this guy is just average, I believe he will be no better than those DT we have right.

I just went to some major recruiting websites. 2 major defensive players we have chance, theoretically pretty good chance, to get:

1. Chris Donald: unanimous outside/strong linebacker #1 in the country, from Huntingdon, TN. Right now he is making descion between Tennessee and Notre Dame. I think Tennessee has a chance. I mean Jimmy Clausen went to ND is understandable, but Tennessee has better defensive tradition than ND.

2. Marvin Austin: unanimous DT #1 in the country, from Washington, DC. Please notice, UT top recruiting product last year: linebacker Rico McCoy is his good friend. I believe our coaches will work on this...

His interests:

Florida State: He probably will go to FSU, if he is insane. Some top FSU and Miami commitments already become available again.

Illinois: are you kidding me?

Maryland: moderate opponent, not a bad choice, also close to his family

Miami-FL: same as FSU

Southern Cal: We lost Patrick Turner (#1 widereceiver) to USC in 2005, but Turner is a widereceiver, and he is a DT. I don't believe he would like to go across the country to a offense school with average defense. Again, Tennessee has defense tradition, and don't forget: we have Rico McCoy...

I really hope we can get these two guys. They are very good players who can help us to rebuild our upfront. But I believe they will ask UT to let them start as a freshman.

Please notice these two guys.

Judging by the problems that Bolden has had, I would say that defensive lineman are the hardest to judge when it comes to potential. I think you are off base by writing this guy off so quickly.

Yeah, its stupid to say he is very average. Have you seen his offers? Oklahoma has landed the top DT the past 2 years, yet they wanted him. He is very quick and explosive at DT.

As for the other 2, we need to land Donald. If Austin is a need, then we are in trouble. I would take Wynn and the Hawaiian right now at DT. Berry is a possible need to land guy though.

Let's see for Austin:

UT-good DL tradition, good fan support, immediate playing time
USC-the best in the game right now(with the best recruiter), NFL players left and right, tops in his major
FSU-great DL tradition, Florida, Austin visiting for banquet weekend

Any of these 3 could land him, but I would put us at 3 right now.

Austin could be a potential starter next year, but doubtful with Donald. Donald has some good guys ahead of him, but would be in the 2 deep.

I think Berry may be a bigger need because of the depth in the DB's. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get those guys but I think Berry fills a bigger need.

Im not high, as a matter of fact, I work at a treatment center for women that have come out of abuse and gotten trapped in addiction. you can check out index

I know you were joking, but what I meant was we need to be prepared for the worst. the last really big upset I can remember was when we landed Robert meachem.

I dont understand your point. Why do we have to be prepared for the worst exactly? What difference does it make if we are prepared for the worst? Do we get sympathy commitments if we are prepared for the worst? You just want to be negative about the situation and that is your right, but to say we will likely not get Donald or Berry is just false. It is possibly that any person verballed could sign somewhere else, anything is possible. But, we are in great shape to sign Donald and Berry, neither of them would be "a big upset" like Meachem. Austin would be considered a big upset, but all we are saying about him is that he took an official visit and that at least gives UT a chance.

I dont understand your point. Why do we have to be prepared for the worst exactly? What difference does it make if we are prepared for the worst? Do we get sympathy commitments if we are prepared for the worst? You just want to be negative about the situation and that is your right, but to say we will likely not get Donald or Berry is just false. It is possibly that any person verballed could sign somewhere else, anything is possible. But, we are in great shape to sign Donald and Berry, neither of them would be "a big upset" like Meachem. Austin would be considered a big upset, but all we are saying about him is that he took an official visit and that at least gives UT a chance.

I was talking about Austin being the upset. You can rant and rave all you want about negativity, but who was the last blue chip signing day suprise that we received? As for being prepared for the worst,is it not common sense to not put all of your eggs in one basket. Do you really disagree with the idea of a valid back-up plan in the event the player we want first chooses to go elswhere? You make me laugh.

Back-up plan? We already signed a DT (Langley) and we have several other recruits at DT that we are looking at. I dont think anybody following UT's recruiting is foolish enough to think we should go after Austin and not recruit any other DT's.

Who starts at DT next season if Austin comes to Knoxville? Mapu and Bolden? Austin and Mapu? Austin and Bolden?

I think that Fisher, Mapu, and Bolden are your top 3 DT's in no particular order. If we get Austin he will be number 4, if not it will be a toss-up between a few of the younger players.

IMO, Fisher will be better served at DE next season... starting alongside Xavier Mitchell.

Back-up plan? We already signed a DT (Langley) and we have several other recruits at DT that we are looking at. I dont think anybody following UT's recruiting is foolish enough to think we should go after Austin and not recruit any other DT's.

that's what I mean by "expect the worst", I hope Austin comes to the Hill, but prepare to be diappointed on signing day

They said Fisher would stay at DT. He will be heavy enough, certainly by next year. Basically, he is either a fast DT or average-speed DE. If Austin comes to UT he will start as a freshman. He is that good. He would most likely start alongside Mapu, with Bolden and Fisher working into the rotation a lot.

I won't be disappointed if we don't land Austin because I think we will land 3 good DTs, even without Marvin. We could easily land Langley, Kaniela, and English. We are looking at 5-6 other DTs that are quality.

I agree that we can still sign a very good DT class without Austin. Langley is very good. Kaniela is a stud and I think we are in really good shape with him.

They said Fisher would stay at DT. He will be heavy enough, certainly by next year. Basically, he is either a fast DT or average-speed DE. If Austin comes to UT he will start as a freshman. He is that good. He would most likely start alongside Mapu, with Bolden and Fisher working into the rotation a lot.

Whatever happened to Dan Williams? I heard a lot about this guy in spring and summer practices. I haven't heard his name in a game yet.

VN Store

Back