Dee Beckwith to LB ?

I think he’s going to have his own position where he can log a carry one play, block the next and convert a 3rd down the next. He’s got legit skills offensively. He’d be starting over square one on defense which would most likely take a season or two. I think he stays offense...happily.

We're still talking about Whitehead, right? If so, IMO, I think he has potential as a RB, especially within a pro style offense. I personally don't think he projects we'll at RB in this offense. Of course, I could be wrong. He was just as outstanding in hs as a LB as he was RB----interestingly, he was also a state champ shot put thrower.

Sometimes it takes a kid comparing himself to others in the meeting room to see the writing on the wall. I'm sure CJH doesn't want to drive a wedge between himself and his new players, especially in the spring and just getting here. He's a good athlete and I'm glad we got him as its a good problem to have. I just believe this ILB deficiency is pretty substantial.

I think the short yardage guys will be Evans and Beckwith. Beckwith, of course, will have a wider variety of roles.

Last edited:
Reactions: LittleVol
We're still talking about Whitehead, right? If so, IMO, I think he has potential as a RB, especially within a pro style offense. I personally don't think he projects we'll at RB in this offense. Of course, I could be wrong. He was just as outstanding in hs as a LB as he was RB----interestingly, he was also a state champ shot put thrower.

Sometimes it takes a kid comparing himself to others in the meeting room to see the writing on the wall. I'm sure CJH doesn't want to drive a wedge between himself and his new players, especially in the spring and just getting here. He's a good athlete and I'm glad we got him as its a good problem to have. I just believe this ILB deficiency is pretty substantial.

I think the short yardage guys will be Evans and Beckwith. Beckwith, of course, will have a wider variety of roles.
What was quoted had me thinking Beckwith. Apologies if wrong.

Comon' now. He's shown about as much ability to be a game changing QB as he has the ability to be a game changing RB.

We are deep at running back. Small will most likely be RB1, and there will be an intense competition for that backup spot, whereas he could be a starter on defense.

Granted, Whitehead is probably the first candidate that should consider a switch to LB.
Beckwith may wind up being our most versatile and talented offensive player. I believe he should stay in offense.

What was quoted had me thinking Beckwith. Apologies if wrong.

I thought there might have been some confusion.

I don't see Beckwith ever moving. 6'6" 225 ILB? I try to delicately correct people when they bring up crazy stuff like that.

Reactions: butchna
Dee Beckwith will not play on defense. Y'all don't want to see a giant crash in from wing and clear the way for a beast like Small? What about catch a seam and make everyone around him sorry they tried to compete. Dude is a monster and offense is his place.

Last edited:
Just put him at TE hybrid role, watch tape of Kyle Pitts and do everything you can to mimic how they got him the ball. Make him a matchup nightmare.
This! He's a Kyle Pitts clone! Don't know if he can catch as well as Pitts but I would sure try and see. I'd like to see if his 40 time is comparable to Pitts.

Agree completely. Whitehead's film out of HS looked like a 4 star LB and a 3 star RB. I get that they allowed him to try at RB and that helped them land him but we not only have the need at LB but it is probably his most natural position.
I agree Whitehead's best chance to get on the field is LB. But if he's dead set on RB what are you gonna do? Switch him to LB and watch him transfer?

I think people get caught up in the height too much. Typically, you want a RB between 6'2-5'8 but sometimes players just have the intangibles, "IT" factor to dominate.

I know people have mentioned Derrick Henry but it's a good example of when incredible talent is in a taller frame. The argument against taller backs is that they taken down easily by the legs but for players like Henry that's not the case. His incredible strength and explosiveness keeps whimpy tacklers from exploiting that. So CB/Ss have a hard time one-on-one (hell even linebackers do). He runs with a good pad height through the holes as well. Basically, he has a blend of all these things you want in a RB. I'm not saying Beckwith is the next Henry but don't know him until we try him.

This! He's a Kyle Pitts clone! Don't know if he can catch as well as Pitts but I would sure try and see. I'd like to see if his 40 time is comparable to Pitts.
If he could be half the player Pitts is, I think it would be a home run . Pitts is probably the best player in this draft, would love to see us utilize a guy with a similar skill set in our offense.

Reactions: CJBlaze

VN Store

Back