Dee Beckwith to Kentucky

My favorite of the quotes on Beckwith
"Tennessee fans over on Vol Nation are describing him as a bust, but they're pieces of sh!t so I'd take their words with a grain of salt. "
Heh, yeah.

I do agree with the common consensus over there. His size and athleticism argue strongly for him to switch to defense: edge perhaps. But he is dead set on playing offense it seems, so...what do you do with him? Heup never pulled him up from way down the depth chart last season, which means he's missing the hands or the route discipline for WR or TE ... he's awfully tall for RB ... not a lot of choices left, except perhaps on special teams.

He may just be an oddly-shaped widget that doesn't fit into any of the available holes he's willing to jump into. For us or the Wildcats.

But wish the lad luck, any time he's not playing against orange and white.

No idea. They tried him at RB, WR and TE. TE was never going to really be a legit option for him at UT because he’s only 6’2.

Everything I heard was that he had no interest in playing defense.

He's listed as 6'5", so it could be a case of exaggerated measurements. Not uncommon. :)

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I mean if you’re 6’5 230lb and hate any type of contact as a football player then it’s time to just be a student or go to work somewhere. Thats just the truth. Let him use a scholly there. It is what it is.

Reactions: jarnol32
Talk about someone who doesn’t know what he’s talking about… The irony. And for the record, Croom‘s production while at Tennessee was affected significantly due to injuries throughout his career. He played through a lot of them. Don’t throw shade unless you know the full details. It’s why he is in the NFL now making bank.
Lol. I see some of you guys are still here…

Heh, yeah.

I do agree with the common consensus over there. His size and athleticism argue strongly for him to switch to defense: edge perhaps. But he is dead set on playing offense it seems, so...what do you do with him? Heup never pulled him up from way down the depth chart last season, which means he's missing the hands or the route discipline for WR or TE ... he's awfully tall for RB ... not a lot of choices left, except perhaps on special teams.

He may just be an oddly-shaped widget that doesn't fit into any of the available holes he's willing to jump into. For us or the Wildcats.

But wish the lad luck, any time he's not playing against orange and white.
It can work for him because UK has bigger holes to fill on offense. Wide open space in the roster for him to plug into. No one disputes his potential. Good move for him. I hope he can't hold onto the ball against us. I hope he is All-SEC against everyone else.

The UK benches must be more comfortable than the UT benches.

IMO, it looked like he was afraid of contact, the few plays we saw. He would stop and curl up right before contact instead of laying the wood. Not ideal for a RB or LB.
The talk about switching positions, he was here for two seasons and played RB. That tells me he isn't good anywhere else.

Reactions: IndianaVol
We knew Dee was ineffective but didn’t know he was crazy in leaving for UK. Dee’s nuts belongs to Kentucky.

I get it, sometimes it doesn’t workout at one school for a myriad of reasons. Hope he does well there, except when they’re playing us.

Reactions: Sarms58
As I recall, Randall Cobb has yet to whip the Tennessee Vols.

Now, please pass the Grey Poupon

I hate that Dee didn't work out for us - good kid and a good athlete. He wasn't ever really in the depth chart at RB and I'm not sure why he was even taking reps - more of an H back/TE but with enough speed to play WR. I'd love for him to have a great career at UK - just not ever beat us.

We have an RB Room full of above average talent.
Not too concerned about an RB that couldn’t even get mop up duty snaps.
Good luck to DB in life after football 🏈

Well he got a better landing spot than expected. I thought Austin Peay or Tennessee Tech would be more likely. Will be interesting to see if he can gain serious playing time.

Completely untrue. Fulmer knew he would be a WR and told him that. UK promised him a shot at QB and after one practice, moved him to WR. Fulmer was just a little too honest (is there such a thing) and lost him because of it. Not misevaluated at all.

As I understand it, Fulmer basically told Cobb he was too small, that he liked his player bigger.

As I understand it, Fulmer basically told Cobb he was too small, that he liked his player bigger.

As I recall, Cobb said he wanted a shot at playing quarterback.

To Phil's credit, he said, "no way, Jose"

Kentucky let him play some quarterback until it became evident that his talents were better suited elsewhere. For weak Kentucky teams, he did everything except hand out the popcorn.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back