Decibel Record

Yes and one of the games in 1990 was ear splitting too, my ears rang for 2 days! My belief is Neyland has cracked 130 AT LEAST 6 times! It also depends on where the meter is located for the reading. By the same token, Florida’s seems low too. That dump ass stadium is acoustically loud but maybe it does not hit the meter right. I also don’t believe Clemson’s is legit.
Unfortunately, the list I saw had Fla a decibel higher at 115

I don’t believe this is accurate. They haven’t always kept records of it but I KNOW NEYLAND has been easily louder than 114! The Chiefs and Oregon’s “record” are artificial!
Someone in my section at The OU game clocked it at 120 something on his phone. That was in the upper east end. Our numbers are higher than are officially recorded

I think I would almost be ashamed if the loudest we ever got Neyland was against Pittsburgh because it made us have a pretty good shot at going 6-6 on the year.

Not to be a negative Nancy. We are going to beat Pitt by 14+ anyway.

If we beat Pitt, we'll win 7 plus..........

Decibel readings seem awful flawed in my opinion. I think it’s got a lot to do with where the reading is taken and what kind of device is used. Kyle Field is not louder than us or the Swamp. Neither is Arrow Head. I bet there’s been some cooking of the numbers
Yep, if you asked to see the methodology used and tried to verify the calibration of devices used, I bet you have little confidence in this list.

Top 10 Decibel Records in College Football
1. Washington Huskies 133.6
2. Clemson Tigers 132.8
3. LSU Tigers 130
4. Oregon Ducks 127
5. Virginia Tech Hokies 126.2
6. Penn State Nittany Lions 122
7. Texas A&M Aggies 117
8. Tennessee Volunteers 114
9. Michigan Wolverines 110
10. Florida Gators 107
Rigged… not a doubt in my mind.

Reactions: lukeneyland
I think I would almost be ashamed if the loudest we ever got Neyland was against Pittsburgh because it made us have a pretty good shot at going 6-6 on the year.

Not to be a negative Nancy. We are going to beat Pitt by 14+ anyway.
I get that, but I’m more tired of our best moments being over a decade ago. Let’s break a new record every week.

I'd think it has more to do with the acoustics caused by design and shape of the stadium that total fan attendance. Arrowhead only holds around 76k people.

If Neyland hadn't broken that before, I doubt it would now.

Good observation

Yep, if you asked to see the methodology used and tried to verify the calibration of devices used, I bet you have little confidence in this list.
The Swamp and LSU’s Death Valley are damned loud places and it’s plausible for them to be louder. Or we could be it’s a close run thing. Having been to Kyle field their fans are great but the place doesn’t have great acoustics compared to some of these other places. Penn State looks like a loud place too

2. Clemson Tigers 132.8
3. LSU Tigers 130
4. Oregon Ducks 127
7. Texas A&M Aggies 117
10. Florida Gators 107
No way thats accurate...I've been to the Swamp and Neyland and Baton Rouge and I can not picture it being any louder than what those stadiums bring to the table...Even Baker Mayfield said Neyland was the loudest he had ever heard before, It was a different kind of loud...Personally the loudest I've ever heard was the 1982 and 1984 Bama games at Neyland...Those were scary loud and the Swamp when Peyton was at UT was the 2nd...That place is impressively loud when they are geared up.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
2. Clemson Tigers 132.8
3. LSU Tigers 130
4. Oregon Ducks 127
7. Texas A&M Aggies 117
10. Florida Gators 107
What the date for our 8? I’ve been to some loud games at Neyland. I wonder if I was there to help set our record.

It does. Notice the two PAC-10 stadiums sitting in the top 5 for example. Oregon's 50,000 seat stadium has a large overhang sitting on top of its larger sideline, which bounces a lot of crowd noise back down toward the field.

View attachment 389790

Now take at #1 noise ranked Washington's Husky stadium. More overhangs. Only 70,000 capacity but the structure captures more noise.

View attachment 389792

Now, wanting to set a noise record of some sort is all well and good, but Pittsburgh? What a huge waste of time and energy. The loudest game in the last ten years was Oklahoma, and that's because it was Oklahoma -- (and Tennessee looked good). If any records get set at Neyland, they'll be for big ones. Probably next time time Tennessee's in a home game featuring a Top 5 showdown where you have a big change of momentum to win at some point. Something to get people to really pop, like CM Punk in Chicago pop. Otherwise, man ... you ain't motivating the folks at Neyland for Pittsburgh. Just not gonna happen.

This post deserves more likes. It's completely accurate.

Autzen only holds 60k, but is one of the loudest stadiums in the world because it traps so much noise in due to its design. Michigan Stadium is the exact opposite; holds over 107k, but doesn't get that loud considering.

Neyland traps more noise in than Michigan Stadium, but not nearly as much as Autzen or Husky Stdium. Has nothing to do with the fans; we'll never set a decibel record because other large stadiums trap more noise in.

2. Clemson Tigers 132.8
3. LSU Tigers 130
4. Oregon Ducks 127
7. Texas A&M Aggies 117
10. Florida Gators 107
Don’t know how they recorded those numbers but been to va tech and unless they are recording during enter sandman no way is it louder than us.

Reactions: beachvol23
Don’t know how they recorded those numbers but been to va tech and unless they are recording during enter sandman no way is it louder than us.
Right! The deal is other than LSU, Clemson, Fl, and TN is the other places are pumping/amplifying the sound! Yes Autzen and UW have overhangs but I’m pretty sure they were caught amplifying as well!

The southern schools with real damn fans bring the freakin real noise! No FAKE s**t!!!!

It also makes me laugh every time anyone says how great Sanford is! That place is a joke! And bammers stadium is lame too! Jordan Hare and Williams Bryce both louder!

Reactions: Rickyvol77
2. Clemson Tigers 132.8
3. LSU Tigers 130
4. Oregon Ducks 127
7. Texas A&M Aggies 117
10. Florida Gators 107