DE flips to Miss St.

You're wrong on so many points here.

First, SOME recruiting services take your top 20 and use that to determine your class ranking, not your top 15.

Secondly, there are legitimately 5 players that can be expected to be Vols soon. It's even been rumored that they are silent commits by other recruits. Just those 5 are enough to put our class somewhere around 12 to 14. All are highly ranked and quality players. Heck, some are even recruiting for us.

And lastly , our average player ranking for those committed is within the top 5 in the country, and that's with a 2 star long snapper dragging the average down. You say you KNOW the staff wants more kids committed. The reality is that you have no idea what the staff wants. What it appears to be looking from the outside in, is that the staff wants quality players that will qualify academically so we get everyone in that we sign. Seems to me that they are being very selective in who they take. This staff hasn't lost very many recruiting battles on players they seem to really want.

Several other high ranking recruits have the Vols high in their list and have said they want to see how we do on the field this year. If we show any improvement there is a good chance we land some of those too.

Pruitt isn't just taking commitments willynilly , he being very selective and filling needs, trying to build depth and this team the correct way. He's not pushing for and taking every commit he can get like CBJ did and then cutting them loose if someone he thought was better came along.
We will finish the year around 10 to 12, and maybe better if we get a few of these 5 stars.

And even if we do finish somewhere around 15, I wouldn't be too alarmed. This staff can develop players and the players they are bringing in are quality kids.

There are so many assumptions here. First off...I doubt very very seriously we have 5 really highly ranked recruits that are silent commits. I’ve never really bought into that concept. Not saying it doesn’t ever happen but I’d say it’s very rare. And to think that we currently have 5 is just absolutely ridiculous. We all want the same thing here so I hope you’re right. I just don’t think you are. These coaches would never choose to be sitting outside the top 25 at this point.
I will absolutely agree that if we were to end up with a ranking of around 15ish that’d be just fine. If we fill the positions of need, get them all in school and keep them out of trouble, and then create a great culture and s&c program...that’s enough to win big. I’m not one of these guys that thinks we need top 3 classes to win. But we need to do way better than #30. And while I’m confident we’ll improve, it’s very troubling to this far behind this deep in the cycle.

There are so many assumptions here. First off...I doubt very very seriously we have 5 really highly ranked recruits that are silent commits. I’ve never really bought into that concept. Not saying it doesn’t ever happen but I’d say it’s very rare. And to think that we currently have 5 is just absolutely ridiculous. We all want the same thing here so I hope you’re right. I just don’t think you are. These coaches would never choose to be sitting outside the top 25 at this point.
I will absolutely agree that if we were to end up with a ranking of around 15ish that’d be just fine. If we fill the positions of need, get them all in school and keep them out of trouble, and then create a great culture and s&c program...that’s enough to win big. I’m not one of these guys that thinks we need top 3 classes to win. But we need to do way better than #30. And while I’m confident we’ll improve, it’s very troubling to this far behind this deep in the cycle.

I'm not huge on silent commits, but other commits are saying it too. And one in particular is openly recruiting for us. I do believe it happens, just not as often as some claim.

I think we end up between 10 to 12. CJP and his coaches seem to be able to recognize talent, so if they do take a handful of 3 stars later I don't sweat it. At least not like I would CBJ. Roman Harrison is the perfect example. I think he will be a great player here. He has all the measureables and motor to go along with it.

Somehow I think we didn't run off a four-star.

Presently we trail South Carolina, North Carolina, Iowa, and Northwestern in recruiting. We should never, ever trail any of those schools for a day.

Are the checks bouncing? Have our hostesses gained weight? Do our hostesses need to gain weight?
Its July. Most classes will change significantly by December. If we are trailing those schools in October/November then worry.

Its July. Most classes will change significantly by December. If we are trailing those schools in October/November then worry.
that's still too early.....probably.

last year was a great example. there were more than a couple that weren't real excited about our class after the ESD in December.

then on the Feb signing day we closed with the two highest rated prospects left on the board with Wright and To'oto'o.....totally changed the outlook of that class imo

that said, i do expect that we'll see north of 85% of the class signed in December so we should have a good idea by then, but that doesn't mean it's over.

just sayin'.......

Reactions: chargervol and Behr
So you’re not at all concerned with us being ranked outside the top 25 at this point and think we could still end up with a great class. Is it possible? Yes. Probable? No. If the current rankings have little correlation between the final rankings...then it’s quite the coincidence that the top 10 include uga, Michigan, Florida, LSU, and of course Clemson amd bama (currently at 1 and 2). If we were currently ranked between 12-18 l, I wouldn't be thrilled but might be cautiously optimistic considering we still had a lot of room. But at this point we’re not going to end up with a great class. We’re too far behind. Whether you’re willing to admit it or not.
We have a lot of work to do to get in the top 20. And virtually no chance at a top 10/12ish class. And while I don’t believe we need top 5 classes to contend for a championship, you definitely need to do better than top 20.
Long but cliff notes for those curious.
My general scope:

Anything better than horrendous, end of days, season, top 20.

Mediocre/expected season: 10th - 16th.

Surprisingly great season - who knows but really good.

The days of beating our chest and just saying TN are over. At least until we win again. Butch was our last shot at using our brand. These kids now, don't know anything about us except that we struggle.

Basically EVERYONE in the SEC has good facilities now, hell, even KY. So we can get over that as well. Excluding absolute nobodies, i.e. Vandy.

What we do have - decent location and a great recruiting staff. Only team with a losing record in these kid's top 5. And highest ranked class by far last year - amongst losing records.

Bottom line, We must win before all this "but Clemson and Bama are..." crap. Kids don't give a damn what TN did 20 years ago. The afore mentioned teams are NC's, we're shooting for a bowl.

Wishy-washy. Prima Donna? Grades? Grades possible, and very possible because people who act this way usually are unable to stay committed. They draft and float off from here to there, burning bridges and fall off cliffs. Personally, I'd like to see this lead to either our flipping a big-time replacement or a major transfer portal gift.

I especially liked....

If we were currently ranked between 12-18 l, I wouldn't be thrilled but might be cautiously optimistic considering we still had a lot of room. But at this point we’re not going to end up with a great class. We’re too far behind. Whether you’re willing to admit it or not.
We have a lot of work to do to get in the top 20. And virtually no chance at a top 10/12ish class.

That's why I rarley make definitive statements about things I have zero control over and very little knowledge of. Last time I can remember doing that here was in 2016. I said we WOULD beat SC and beat them by 24 points. Guarantee!
It is crazy how many of the false and emotional statements that are prevalent these days. That’s not even counting the just wacky off the wall stuff. Can’t really say I blame you for for the 2016 SC prediction after UF.

Yeah... About that...

OMG. So it was looking good 10 mounts ago when we weren’t ranked in the top 25? Good lord. Why don’t you go back and find so post of us saying this season was a disaster when we were 1-3. Who have thought we’d end with a bowl game win. I doubt Pruitt wanted our recruiting class to be ranked outside the top 30 with 6 months till singeing day and I doubt he wanted us to start the season 1-3. But the season got turned around and so did the recruiting. Still doesn’t mean we weren’t right to be critical of where we were at those times

Reactions: FïreBall
giphy.gif

OMG. So it was looking good 10 mounts ago when we weren’t ranked in the top 25? Good lord. Why don’t you go back and find so post of us saying this season was a disaster when we were 1-3. Who have thought we’d end with a bowl game win. I doubt Pruitt wanted our recruiting class to be ranked outside the top 30 with 6 months till singeing day and I doubt he wanted us to start the season 1-3. But the season got turned around and so did the recruiting. Still doesn’t mean we weren’t right to be critical of where we were at those times
You jumped the gun to declare doom and you look like a goober. Own and move on.

You jumped the gun to declare doom and you look like a goober. Own and move on.

Except i continually said we’d likely improve quite a bit as we didn’t have as many commits as many of our competitors did. I remember feeling however that we were too far behind to have a shot at a top 5 type class. But I felt it possibly to close strong and end up top 12-15 or so. We actually did slightly ether than that and I was was pleasantly surprised by that. I didn’t imagine that we’d come from outside the top 30 to a top 10 class. In future years I think pruitt definitely would prefer not get that far behind

VN Store

Back