DE flips to Miss St.

If you think that sounds "incredibly", wait till you hear this.
Each team only gets to sign right at 25. So all those teams with 20 commits, only get 5 more, while we get 14 more.

It's like preseason rankings, it doesn't matter now. It only matters where you finish.

So you’re not at all concerned with us being ranked outside the top 25 at this point and think we could still end up with a great class. Is it possible? Yes. Probable? No. If the current rankings have little correlation between the final rankings...then it’s quite the coincidence that the top 10 include uga, Michigan, Florida, LSU, and of course Clemson amd bama (currently at 1 and 2). If we were currently ranked between 12-18 l, I wouldn't be thrilled but might be cautiously optimistic considering we still had a lot of room. But at this point we’re not going to end up with a great class. We’re too far behind. Whether you’re willing to admit it or not.
We have a lot of work to do to get in the top 20. And virtually no chance at a top 10/12ish class. And while I don’t believe we need top 5 classes to contend for a championship, you definitely need to do better than top 20.

So you’re not at all concerned with us being ranked outside the top 25 at this point and think we could still end up with a great class. Is it possible? Yes. Probable? No. If the current rankings have little correlation between the final rankings...then it’s quite the coincidence that the top 10 include uga, Michigan, Florida, LSU, and of course Clemson amd bama (currently at 1 and 2). If we were currently ranked between 12-18 l, I wouldn't be thrilled but might be cautiously optimistic considering we still had a lot of room. But at this point we’re not going to end up with a great class. We’re too far behind. Whether you’re willing to admit it or not.
We have a lot of work to do to get in the top 20. And virtually no chance at a top 10/12ish class. And while I don’t believe we need top 5 classes to contend for a championship, you definitely need to do better than top 20.
Lets see where we are on the first Wednesdatyin February 2020 before we get our bowls in an uproar. Way to early to leap out a tenth story window. We are in a similar position last year and we signed a very good class, especially for a first year head coach and coming off the worst season in the school's history.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood

I agree, but with the way the rest of the conference recruits in this day and age, you need top 10 classes annually and outstanding coaching to even have a chance. We’re just not there anymore.

Wtf?
We only have 11 commits! You are acting like those scrub teams are actually ahead of us, they're not!
Do you understand???
We could accept 6 commitments from nothing but 3 stars right now and jump a 1/4 on that list. And 10-12 is what I'm shooting for. Not even near the position on the field, this class, to be discussing Bama and Clemson.

Just be honest, are you really this hard headed or are you just trying to troll and make readers nervous? I know you're the same guy that tried to convince everyone that TN fans would never allow 4* Cooper Mays to commit here, I think you're just trolling, tbh.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
Doing this for those that don't follow recruiting. This is just a quick example pic of what the next 10 - 12 teams in front of us, look like. Look at their number of 4 stars vs 3 stars etc..

We could literally accept commitments from almost anyone and jump them.

20190709_092922.jpg

This is like 3rd grade level math, I actually hope that guy is trolling because if not, dayuummm.

Doing this for those that don't follow recruiting. This is just a quick example pic of what the next 10 - 12 teams in front of us, look like. Look at their number of 4 stars vs 3 stars etc..

We could literally accept commitments from almost anyone and jump them.

View attachment 211980

This is like 3rd grade level math, I actually hope that guy is trolling because if not, dayuummm.

I'll be clear at the beginning here and say, I don't know if it's the same posters or not. But it is funny when Bama and Georgia were in the high teens and low to mid twenties during the summer, some of our fans were all giddy they were doing so poorly. Turned out they only had 10-12 commitments compared to everyone else's 20-25. But February... 8 months and a whole season and post season later mind you, BOOM!!

Obviously I don't think we end up THAT good, but come on.

I'll be clear at the beginning here and say, I don't know if it's the same posters or not. But it is funny when Bama and Georgia were in the high teens and low to mid twenties during the summer, some of our fans were all giddy they were doing so poorly. Turned out they only had 10-12 commitments compared to everyone else's 20-25. But February... 8 months and a whole season and post season later mind you, BOOM!!

Obviously I don't think we end up THAT good, but come on.
yeah, there's room to move up. how far? that's the unknown.

there were a lot of folks last season also taking pot shots at UF and their 30ish ranked class all summer last year, but they too, also only had like 11 commits and wound up finishing in the top 10.

now, that class's luster has certainly worn off (lol), but the "ranking" means nothing right now.

Reactions: Behr
@chargervol you're fight is valiant, but unwarranted, and will not yeild the result desired. you can take solace in just knowing you're right......
We've got some good posters that honestly just don't follow recruiting. As long as they get the other, real picture, instead of his scare tactics.. only result I'm after.

Wtf?
We only have 11 commits! You are acting like those scrub teams are actually ahead of us, they're not!
Do you understand???
We could accept 6 commitments from nothing but 3 stars right now and jump a 1/4 on that list. And 10-12 is what I'm shooting for. Not even near the position on the field, this class, to be discussing Bama and Clemson.

Just be honest, are you really this hard headed or are you just trying to troll and make readers nervous? I know you're the same guy that tried to convince everyone that TN fans would never allow 4* Cooper Mays to commit here, I think you're just trolling, tbh.

Why do you act as though I can’t comprehend that we have fewer commitments than some of the other teams that are ranked higher than us? Obviously… I get that. But what you don’t seem to get is we are way farther behind than anyone would hope to be at this point. At what point would you accept that we are not doing well? We are barely inside the top 30 right now. What if we were barely inside the top 50? Would you still say don’t worry, we only have 12 recruits? We’re going to crush it come February. It’s like you’re oblivious to the reality that this coaching staff wishes we had more recruits signed right now. And again, if it matters nothing right now… Why is the current top 10 made up of all of the best recruiting teams? Why or Clemson and Alabama number one right now when it doesn’t matter? Also, I’d add that most recruiting rankings only take into account your top 15 or so. That means that adding 14 3 stars won’t necessarily jump us ahead of all those other teams ahead of us. We’ll be fortunate to end up with a top 20 class.

Also, I’d add that most recruiting rankings only take into account your top 15 or so. That means that adding 14 3 stars won’t necessarily jump us ahead of all those other teams ahead of us. We’ll be fortunate to end up with a top 20 class.

Wut??? Dis gon' be fun.
Here's your chance, how about an Avi bet, big man?
And no disappearing/switching accounts like D4H. Put up or shut up time. What do you say?

Wut??? Dis gon' be fun.
Here's your chance, how about an Avi bet, big man?
And no disappearing/switching accounts like D4H. Put up or shut up time. What do you say?
th

Why do you act as though I can’t comprehend that we have fewer commitments than some of the other teams that are ranked higher than us? Obviously… I get that. But what you don’t seem to get is we are way farther behind than anyone would hope to be at this point. At what point would you accept that we are not doing well? We are barely inside the top 30 right now. What if we were barely inside the top 50? Would you still say don’t worry, we only have 12 recruits? We’re going to crush it come February. It’s like you’re oblivious to the reality that this coaching staff wishes we had more recruits signed right now. And again, if it matters nothing right now… Why is the current top 10 made up of all of the best recruiting teams? Why or Clemson and Alabama number one right now when it doesn’t matter? Also, I’d add that most recruiting rankings only take into account your top 15 or so. That means that adding 14 3 stars won’t necessarily jump us ahead of all those other teams ahead of us. We’ll be fortunate to end up with a top 20 class.
oh, bless your heart.
ac89096daabd5c4f492074182090de1a_w200.gif

Reactions: Behr and chargervol
Heck, I want 2 bets.
One starting right now on the "most only count the top 15"
And a 2nd one on the "lucky to get top 20".

I don't follow recruiting hardly at all, but even without reading yours and others explanations, it ain't rocket surgery to look at the numbers and figure those out.

We were a total cluster fork at the end of 17, in damn near every way possible, and had a 4-8 record and got in tbe top 20. We only won 1 more last year, but we had enough good to build on.

It's July and the staff has been doing some work. There are no guarantees, but it's way too early to be chicken chit skurt. IMO.

Last edited:
I don't follow recruiting hardly at all, but even without reading yours and others explanations, it ain't rocket surgery to look at the numbers and figure those out.

We were a total cluster fork at the end of 17, in damn near every way possible, and had a 4-8 record and got in tbe top 20. We only won 1 more last year, but we had enough good to build on.

It's July and the staff has been doing some work. There are no guarantees, but it's way too early to be chicken chit skurt. IMO.
Long but cliff notes for those curious.
My general scope:

Anything better than horrendous, end of days, season, top 20.

Mediocre/expected season: 10th - 16th.

Surprisingly great season - who knows but really good.

The days of beating our chest and just saying TN are over. At least until we win again. Butch was our last shot at using our brand. These kids now, don't know anything about us except that we struggle.

Basically EVERYONE in the SEC has good facilities now, hell, even KY. So we can get over that as well. Excluding absolute nobodies, i.e. Vandy.

What we do have - decent location and a great recruiting staff. Only team with a losing record in these kid's top 5. And highest ranked class by far last year - amongst losing records.

Bottom line, We must win before all this "but Clemson and Bama are..." crap. Kids don't give a damn what TN did 20 years ago. The afore mentioned teams are NC's, we're shooting for a bowl.

The guy has been a head case since the beginning.. we need edge rushers but there are better options out of HS. Bet Shoop will develop him well though.

Long but cliff notes for those curious.
My general scope:

Anything better than horrendous, end of days, season, top 20.

Mediocre/expected season: 10th - 16th.

Surprisingly great season - who knows but really good.

The days of beating our chest and just saying TN are over. At least until we win again. Butch was our last shot at using our brand. These kids now, don't know anything about us except that we struggle.

Basically EVERYONE in the SEC has good facilities now, hell, even KY. So we can get over that as well. Excluding absolute nobodies, i.e. Vandy.

What we do have - decent location and a great recruiting staff. Only team with a losing record in these kid's top 5. And highest ranked class by far last year - amongst losing records.

Bottom line, We must win before all this "but Clemson and Bama are..." crap. Kids don't give a damn what TN did 20 years ago. The afore mentioned teams are NC's, we're shooting for a bowl.
all of this.

i'd just sum up by saying TN has everything a prospect wants, when compared to anyone...........except national relevance.

finding a way to acheive that, w/out the high level prospects is the eipitomy of putting the cart before the horse. so we're stuck with with fighting for these top notch kids with what we got, and what we we hope to have in the near future....some results. unfortunatley, there are prospects out there, as much as they may like TN and the coaches, that are most certainly in wait and see mode. it's also making it difficult to balance when to take a commit and when not to. another reason why this staff is putting a very high premium on kids that come to camp here, and do well. if you're not a top notch prospect, and you con't wanna camp, chances are your offer isn't committable....

so the longer some of these recruitments go, the better, and several of the commits we've gotten have been camp commits. another couple reasons i wouldn't worry right now.

i get the sense there's a quiet confidence among this staff. what that means or translates to at the end, i have no idea. but in all the things i've read and listened to, there's no real sense of urgency (in a bad way) about recruiting. in fact, it seems like they are encouraging a lot of these kids to go visit, take their time. i think the staff wants as much time as possible to "prove the pitch" so to speak........the challenge lies ahead in the season, and getting these kids to continue to come visit.....

Reactions: Woke and chargervol
Reading this thread, I am once again dumbfounded at the absolute, complete incompetence and ineptitude it has taken to reduce the Tennessee of the 1990s and early 2000s to the Tennessee of today. You literally had to get EVERY SINGLE DECISION WRONG to manage it, and by George, our admin/coaching staffs/donors managed to pull it off.

I'm beginning to think we are Minnesota-level bound. And while we as fans would not deserve that, the powers that be certainly would.

You're wrong on so many points here.

First, SOME recruiting services take your top 20 and use that to determine your class ranking, not your top 15.

Secondly, there are legitimately 5 players that can be expected to be Vols soon. It's even been rumored that they are silent commits by other recruits. Just those 5 are enough to put our class somewhere around 12 to 14. All are highly ranked and quality players. Heck, some are even recruiting for us.

And lastly , our average player ranking for those committed is within the top 5 in the country, and that's with a 2 star long snapper dragging the average down. You say you KNOW the staff wants more kids committed. The reality is that you have no idea what the staff wants. What it appears to be looking from the outside in, is that the staff wants quality players that will qualify academically so we get everyone in that we sign. Seems to me that they are being very selective in who they take. This staff hasn't lost very many recruiting battles on players they seem to really want.

Several other high ranking recruits have the Vols high in their list and have said they want to see how we do on the field this year. If we show any improvement there is a good chance we land some of those too.

Pruitt isn't just taking commitments willynilly , he being very selective and filling needs, trying to build depth and this team the correct way. He's not pushing for and taking every commit he can get like CBJ did and then cutting them loose if someone he thought was better came along.
We will finish the year around 10 to 12, and maybe better if we get a few of these 5 stars.

And even if we do finish somewhere around 15, I wouldn't be too alarmed. This staff can develop players and the players they are bringing in are quality kids.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back