DE depth - razor thin

tabrams

Supportin' the Cause
Even if we covert 3 DT’s into DE’s, I’m only seeing 6 DE’s on our team....snd tgats if they switch those 3!

Im Thinking this could be the DL depth chart, something like this...

WDE - Byron Young/ Ty Baron/ Eason
DT - Solomon/ Garland/ Simmons/ O. Thomas
DT - Butler/ Middleton/ Emerson/ D. Bailey
SDE - Bumphus/ Blakey/ I. Washington

It looks alright but very thin at DE.... it would be nice to see us add 1-2 DEs via transfer portal...

Even if we covert 3 DT’s into DE’s, I’m only seeing 6 DE’s on our team....snd tgats if they switch those 3!

It looks alright but very thin at DE.... it would be nice to see us add 1-2 DEs via transfer portal...

I'm more worried about CB depth for now.

IMO... here’s how I see it shaking out:

WDE - Ty Baron/ Young/ Eason
DT - Solomon/ Simmons/ O. Thomas/Evans
DT - Middleton/ Emerson/ D. Bailey/ Washington
SDE - Butler/ Bumphus/ Blakely

I’m cautiously optimistic about the DL...and LB to be honest but that’s as much about our new scheme using LBs less as it is LB talent...

CB scars me...I honestly think we’ll see some position switches from WR to CB at some point...I thought it might be Calloway but he seems to be making noise at WR

Transition year with more than a few players transferring out so we’re gonna have some areas where we are thin. Roles and responsibilities are different in a 3-4 vs a 4-3 so I’m looking at the entire front 7. But I know that we have recruited some talented, athletic players and trust the new staff to put them together as a cohesive unit. Hopefully we will have more speed at LB and be able to get better pressure with the front 4.

Any chance we get the suspended defensive player back? If so unfortunately they are behind at this point. It would be nice to grab a couple of LBs out of the transfer portal as well.

IMO... here’s how I see it shaking out:

WDE - Ty Baron/ Young/ Eason
DT - Solomon/ Simmons/ O. Thomas/Evans
DT - Middleton/ Emerson/ D. Bailey/ Washington
SDE - Butler/ Bumphus/ Blakely

I’m cautiously optimistic about the DL...and LB to be honest but that’s as much about our new scheme using LBs less as it is LB talent...

CB scars me...I honestly think we’ll see some position switches from WR to CB at some point...I thought it might be Calloway but he seems to be making noise at WR

Agreed. Just my opinion, but that looks like a solid unit on paper. Not great but solid.

What worries me is injuries. With UT’s luck as of late, all it’s going to take is an injury or two, and the defense will be toast.

Gotta be honest. When it comes to the defensive side of the ball, I think it's gonna be hard to get quality front line players much less build quality depth. With Heupel's offense, the defense is gonna have some rough, rough days.

Gotta be honest. When it comes to the defensive side of the ball, I think it's gonna be hard to get quality front line players much less build quality depth. With Heupel's offense, the defense is gonna have some rough, rough days.
Completely agree here...once Heupel gets the offense rolling and kids see the fun, exciting, "put your name on the highlight reel" type system the QBs, RBs, TEs, WRs, Onlinemen will be clamoring for a spot.

My concern like yours is how to attract the quality defensive guys we are going to need...and we are going to need a lot of them too.

Reactions: CAVPUT
We are very thin at DE, LB, and Corner..... so crazy bc Pruitt is a defensive coach....

Obviously Toto and Crouch leaving hurts the depth a lot.... I think Crouch would be a DE in this 4-3, and he could do well there....

FACE IT!!!! We are very thin at defense! As I see it, this is going to be a problem or a couple or three years. I can see us losing a lot of games 45 to 46 or some score like this. I think that after this year our offense will score lots of points (notice I said after this year) and we will see a fun team, but a team just not able to hold many teams enough to be the winners we want to be.

You gave a 3 deep so even with an injury or 2 they should be just fine as long as its nothing season ending. U could slide Emerson & Middleton to SDE in an emergency so that gives you 8 DE's. Still got Roman who can play WDE on passing downs. I would bet on Baron & Butler as the starting DE's. Both have motors and have been pretty durable. I wouldnt be suprised to see them eat up a ton of snaps because they are 3 down players. The Dline has the most talent as far as defense goes and its also the most experienced unit on that side. I expect them to lead the defense this year

Which of our men will step up and be this Fall's Derek Barnett or Darrel Taylor?
Not sure there is anyone on the roster capable of living up to either one. Sad, but true..........
giphy.gif

ILB is my biggest concern. (Banks has what, 30 some-odd tackles, and he's the best?)

tenor.gif

Reactions: VAVol85
If we get 4 or 5 more guys take that developmental step like Davis has, we will be very competitive. Development is the key. I think the pieces are there. That will lead to a jump in recruiting. I know I have always tried to be supportive of whoever our coach was...and have been wrong each of the last 3 times...but seeing the excitement in the practice videos this year feels different. We will see in the Fall.

Which of our men will step up and be this Fall's Derek Barnett or Darrel Taylor?
Will most likely be done as a group. I dnt think 1 guy goes for double digit sacks. If anybody could do it I would say its Baron. Its much more likely that we get 5-6 guys with 3-4 sacks. I dont think the strength neccessarily comes from an individual for us this year. Its going to have to be a group effort or more like a sum of all the parts.

Reactions: OneVolNation

This is one of the reasons I am really not looking forward to UGA's ground and pound in November and to a lesser extent UK, doesn't help that we play UGA right after UK. Those are going to be two physical games late in the year after a lot of wear and tear on this defensive line.

VN Store

Back