'20 DC FS Mordecai McDaniel (FL commit)

One of Tennessee's top defensive-back targets is ready to announce his college decision.

Three-star Class of 2020 safety Mordecai McDaniel of St. John's College High School in Washington, D.C., who took an official visit to Tennessee in June, posted Thursday on his Twitter account that he's planning to reveal his choice on Aug. 21.

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound McDaniel has yet to publicly name a group of finalists, but he told 247Sports' Brian Dohn last month that Florida, Penn State and Tennessee were his "top three." In April, he named a top five of Penn State, Notre Dame, Florida, Tennessee and Georgia.

McDaniel also told Dohn last month that he planned "to decide in August, probably after August 20."

Notre Dame, Florida, Tennessee and Penn State all have hosted McDaniel on official visits. He most recently traveled to Penn State the weekend of June 21 after taking his first look at the Vols the weekend of June 7.

He's ranked the No. 409 overall prospect and No. 33 safety in the 2020 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.
McDaniel is a teammate of another of Tennessee's longtime top targets, five-star LSU wide receiver commitment Rakim Jarrett. The Vols have hosted Jarrett on multiple visits, including an official visit in June.

Tennessee has made McDaniel a priority, too, since extending an offer to him in January.

While he's a track standout who could play either wide receiver or in the secondary, the Vols — like most of the teams recruiting him — have told him they envision him playing safety.

“They say that, by the time I get there, it will be a good time to be playing (for Tennessee) and I could get (early) playing time as well,” McDaniel told Dohn last month. “The coaching staff there really wants me, and they would use me early.”

After his official visit to Tennessee in June, McDaniel said Vols coach Jeremy Pruitt's message to him while he was on campus was "really to just make the right choice for me and my family." But McDaniel made it clear that Tennessee impressed him during the visit.
McDaniel also said in June that the people in and around the Vols' program "stood out the most to me (with) how they treated me and each other."

“You see the family that is built,” he said at the time.

According to milesplit.com, McDaniel has been timed at 6.54 seconds in the 55-meter dash, 21.99 seconds in the 200 meters and 34.33 seconds in the 300 meters.

He said last month that he wanted to pick a school where he could compete in track and field in addition to playing football.

“That is one thing that is going to be an (important) aspect for me — the track team,” McDaniel told Dohn last month. “I want to do that in college.”

No predictions for McDaniel have been made on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.
-Callahan

Whitehead?
Yeah they were in contact with him. Nothing out there that I’ve seen about this kid but you’d think they would do the same here if they’re serious about him.

No idea what kind of track program Penn State has currently. I know Florida had a great one a few years ago but I don’t keep up with track much. Tennessee had an awesome one in the Fulmer days.

Working the Mordecai McDaniel story with Brian Dohn our East Coast Analyst. I think right now we like Tennessee for him leading up to his decision next week. Dohn is hearing from a source around McDaniel that the Vols are in front. I've talked to a couple other sources with knowledge of the situation and like the Vols position. Penn State is the competition.

- Wiltfong

Ojulari, Rybka, and this kid all in the next week. If we can get 2/3 I’ll be stoked. All 3? Well...

VN Store

Back