Dayne Davis - Dropped Bombs on Last Staff

I guess that supports people saying the players where too worried to just play and being tight. Also the program being run like it was the military.
I agree but that style works for savanna somehow. And I don’t know why. Other than the road leading to nfl

Goes hand in hand with the other thread on Tyler Baron

Baron, a former four-star recruit from Nashville, spoke to reporters this week about the current state of the UT program under Heupel.

“It’s a totally different atmosphere,” said Baron while discussing the program. “I tell everybody coming in from our season last year to this year, you almost can’t even call it the same program. It’s a totally different mindset. People are taking more advantage of everything and it’s going to be really positive.”

“The biggest thing for me is the mindset of the team and the mindset in the building,” added Baron. “Everybody is looking for how they can improve more so than just getting through. Everybody is determined. All the new guys are buying into the program. Coach Heupel is leading us in the right direction and we’re just happy to follow him.”

The part of that quote from Baron that stands out the most is “everybody is looking for how they can improve more so than just getting through”.

Last edited:
This same thread is produced the following season after each coaching change. Only the enthusiastic player and HC's name changes. I no longer buy this, just produce on the field. That's for players and staff.

The development part was true. Pruitt's problem is he doesn't know how to coach a team that isn't full of 4 and 5 star players. I think he tried to teach things that our players couldnt do or were more advanced and he just expected them to do it without fail and had no clue how to take a 3 star player and make them play like a 5 star. Pruitt had an expectation that the execution piece would just be there and that the players could just do that without being taught skills they didnt have. Again, he coached as if his team were full of 5 star athletes. Maybe Huepel knows how to develop and not just instruct.
I don’t think it had anything to do with stars. I think it’s more so trying to teach it that way out the gate with a bunch of young players depended on. Saban’s team is full of veterans that also know how to teach the younger players.

Pruitt should’ve instituted his system more gradual than he did. Should have taken years vs weeks

Reactions: spyfish007
You could easily see how unprepared Pruitt's teams were starting games and halves in order to know practice was screwed up. Shocked it took some people on VN 3 years to realize that.
Well! Something surely didn’t look right in games, did it? It was the 3-7 and the investigation that took me out to not like the guy, or the coaching staff.

Well! Something surely didn’t look right in games, did it? It was the 3-7 and the investigation that took me out to not like the guy, or the coaching staff.

I can stomach if the other team lines up and beats us because they are more talented.

I can not stomach having the other teams want it more and being better prepared.

I can stomach if the other team lines up and beats us because they are more talented.

I can not stomach having the other teams want it more and being better prepared.
Basically this the way I feel. The teams that we should beat, we should beat. The teams that are more talented, I say they should beat us, but why not play hard and try to be competitive and try to win some of those games? What do you have to lose?

Reactions: ArdentVol and 67Vol
If you have to discipline college players to keep them accountable for pushing themselves, getting in shape, learning, etc. then they don't need to be college football players. I get what people are saying about "all fun and games" but having a fun atmosphere to work in helps keep people loose and I believe people at this level already have the proper motivation to keep growing and working to get better. There does need to be accountability but you can have accountability while keeping the atmosphere around the program one that players look forward to being a part of.

If you have to discipline college players to keep them accountable for pushing themselves, getting in shape, learning, etc. then they don't need to be college football players. I get what people are saying about "all fun and games" but having a fun atmosphere to work in helps keep people loose and I believe people at this level already have the proper motivation to keep growing and working to get better. There does need to be accountability but you can have accountability while keeping the atmosphere around the program one that players look forward to being a part of.
Pete Carrol did a great job balancing fun and practicing hard when he was at USC.

Pete Carrol did a great job balancing fun and practicing hard when he was at USC.

And also cheating his tail off. Don't forget that part. Hard to lose when you can buy players and sit back and have fun.

Although I guess that didnt work for Pruitt LOLOL Carrol was shopping at Nordstrom and Pruitt was shopping at Family Dollar.

Some folks want to take this in extremes in both directions. Our staff I am sure sometimes will yell or get flustered sometimes with players, just like probably any staff in America. But it's how you talk with them 24-7 if you are fair and upfront and give encouragement as much or more than you just yell to yell it sinks in better. If the players know you care about them and you are encouraging along the way, it makes things go more smoothly. It's not like they never yell, heck it sometimes almost impossible not to yell even when you are encouraging over a practice field. I think what they are talking about is constant berating more than actual coaching. GBO!!!!!!

You have to pick your battles as a coach in today’s game. These players aren’t like the previous generations where they grew up with the military type coaching. You have to relate to the players and be a lot more personable. Heupel seems to know the pulse of his players, at least to this point.

I don't want to be the oxymoron of the group but...... if everything is going to be about just having fun, where is the discipline going to come in for the guys to push themselves, get in shape, learn and be prepared?

First of all, Coach Heupel isn't going to recruit guys who aren't already 90% motivated from within. I think the answer to the question beneath your question is that "fun" came from brain science discoveries, not changes in culture or values.

All discipline has to be rooted in motivation. That motivation might be fear of consequences or displeasing someone important to you. It could be irritation ("I'll do it--but just so you'll shut up!"). Those are all example of being motivated by negatives to avoid something even more negative.

Motivation for discipline can also be positive, like to help you achieve personal goals, or achieve team goals.

Fatigue tends to break down all discipline, because when we're under physical or psychological stress, our brain system defaults to survival mode--conserve energy and think only about getting through the next moment. That's where the "having fun" tactic pays dividends: if you're enjoying your physical stress, your brain doesn't start throwing those survival switches--each of which will decrease your ability to push yourself physically, engage mentally, learn, or focus on finesse things like technique.

The physical sensations of falling off a cliff and riding an amusement park ride are approximately the same. But how your brain responds to them makes a huge difference. One is, "If I survive this, I'll avoid heights for the rest of my life!" But if you're having fun, "This is awesome! How long is the line to ride it again?"

So it's not really a cultural change; it's a tactic, based on discoveries in brain science, to maximize the time you get with players in practice and maximize their performance during game situations.

But players (like golfers) still have to experience (in order to learn from) those pressure moments when you can't avoid knowing that "if I screw this up, we lose." But even then, some players instinctively "run that unique stress through their fun circuit" and actually relish those pressure moments--maybe for their own adrenaline high. We can all name some VFLs who had that gift!

This was evident from the first practice video we saw from Fingers. The entire team was very "ho-hum" with zero energy and that translated to the field.

VN Store

Back