Dawn Staley rumored Interview for NBA Portland Trail Blazers

This can certainly be used against her in recruiting if she is looking to leave, or accepts an interview.

If they are just releasing a list without any signs of reciprocal interest then that likely wouldn't provide any wedge to use.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Funny how coaches would tell recruits, " this the best place to come, yet coach planning to leave.

Sorry to disappoint but I'll quote Dawn's response printed in today's "State Newspaper"

"No ounce of me wants to coach outside of college".

"Too much work to be done in women's basketball"

Nobody really thought she was leaving or even qualified to have her name in the pool as an NBA coach. She is a good coach but it’s the same thing they did with Anne Donovan way back in the day (added her name to be progressive). Dawn enjoys doing what she does at the collegiate level and here she can coach pros in the olympics.

i think it’s funny if anyone was disappointed to here she isn’t leaving because i don’t know if she was realistically going to have a shot.

Its a tactic to get SC to pay her more money, See seen what Kim is getting at LSU and Barnes is getting at Arizona. If the NBA job was to go to a women it should be Becky she has paid her NBA dues and players around the league respect her..

If they do offer Staley, it’s a long-deserved acknowledgment that women coaches are capable of leading NBA teams. However, women coaching women is a top priority.

If they do offer Staley it’s a courtesy thing Becky Hammon would be the logical choice who had coaches men, paid her dues, and learned from one of the best coaches to coach the game. I think that would have far more legitimacy than Staley and that’s not a knock on Staley’s ability to coach but more a recognition of who is probably more prepared.

This would be huge for the SEC if this happened, so I think it does deserve it’s own post.
the thing is she isnt leaving....this is like Jeff Walz name always being brought up in when new HC jobs open... the NBA always bring up Dawn Staley and Becky Hammon when NBA jobs open knowing very well Becky is the only one truly qualified for the position.

I dont hear about Geno leaving for the NBA but Im always hearing about Dawn to the point of it not being newsworthy.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I've heard Kara Lawson brought up for the Celtics HC position as well. I think that they are just throwing out the names of recognizable women's coaches, but other than Becky, I don't think the others have a prayer.
Kara coached Duke for like 5 games but yeah she's qualified to be an NBA coach I guess Kellie Harper is qualified too.

dont get it twisted I love KLaw she is a Lady Vol for Life but at some point these "sources" need to be reasonable..

Kara coached Duke for like 5 games but yeah she's qualified to be an NBA coach I guess Kellie Harper is qualified too.

dont get it twisted I love KLaw she is a Lady Vol for Life but at some point these "sources" need to be reasonable..
Yeah, I've always been a fan of Kara too. She's worked with the Celtics in the past and has a lot of respect, but she has like 1 year of NBA assistant coaching experience and barely any college coaching experience. Right now, she's not NBA HC material.

Becky is a different story, and I think it's just a matter of time before her name is called.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
If they do offer Staley it’s a courtesy thing Becky Hammon would be the logical choice who had coaches men, paid her dues, and learned from one of the best coaches to coach the game. I think that would have far more legitimacy than Staley and that’s not a knock on Staley’s ability to coach but more a recognition of who is probably more prepared.
I agree. I’m just happy to see women as legit contenders for coaching jobs they once had no shot at.

If an organization thinks a bunch of multi-millionaire alpha athletes with testosterone out the roof are going to listen to a female college coach then they are delusional. The woke in this is astounding.

If an organization thinks a bunch of multi-millionaire alpha athletes with testosterone out the roof are going to listen to a female college coach then they are delusional. The woke in this is astounding.

They don't listen to male coaches either, so what's the difference?

Reactions: volman128

VN Store

Back