Davis Staying

LA Vol

Instead of focusing on the one who's gone, I thought it would be worth appreciating the ones who're staying, including the other one that led the team in many categories. Rennia Davis averaged 14.9 PPG (tied with Westbrook) and led the team in rebounding (7.7). She’s an 85.6% free throw shooter-- the best on the team and in the SEC (34th nationally).

According to UT, Davis led the LVs in double-doubles (9) and scored in double figures a team-high 26 times, including 16 games with 15 or more points and six with 20 or more. She also led the team with 10 double-digit rebound games this season. Her 7.7 per game rebound average is the ninth-best ever in a season by a LV sophomore, while her 14.9 scoring average tied for #5 all-time by a UT sophomore. In the final four minutes of games, she has hit 21 of 25 FTs for 86.7%.

In addition to ranking #1 in FT% among all SEC players, Davis ranked #8 in rebounding, #10 in FG% (.456) and #12 in scoring.

She was named second team All-SEC, a WBCA Honorable Mention All-American and a Top 10 finalist for the 2019 Cheryl Miller Award—the only LV to win post-season accolades, other than Zaay Green, who represented on the FR All-SEC team.

Davis is the leader of the team and the future of the program… and she’s not gone. She’s still here.

Last edited:
I am sure she will thrive if they run a set offense with lots of motion and screens. I really hope Zay is able to stay along with all of the other players.

Yes, Rennia could make a living off mid-range jumpers off screens. Get the defense moving and get her a good look and she’ll knock it down more often than not. She shot a good percentage taking heavily contested shots last season.

Instead of focusing on the one who's gone, I thought it would be worth appreciating the ones who're staying, including the other one that led the team in many categories. Rennia Davis averaged 14.9 PPG (tied with Westbrook) and led the team in rebounding (7.7). She’s an 85.6% free throw shooter-- the best on the team and in the SEC (34th nationally).

According to UT, Davis led the LVs in double-doubles (9) and scored in double figures a team-high 26 times, including 16 games with 15 or more points and six with 20 or more. She also led the team with 10 double-digit rebound games this season. Her 7.7 per game rebound average is the ninth-best ever in a season by a LV sophomore, while her 14.9 scoring average tied for #5 all-time by a UT sophomore. In the final four minutes of games, she has hit 21 of 25 FTs for 86.7%.

In addition to ranking #1 in FT% among all SEC players, Davis ranked #8 in rebounding, #10 in FG% (.456) and #12 in scoring.

She was named second team All-SEC, a WBCA Honorable Mention All-American and a Top 10 finalist for the 2019 Cheryl Miller Award—the only LV to win post-season accolades, other than Zaay Green, who represented on the FR All-SEC team.

Davis is the leader of the team and the future of the program… and she’s not gone. She’s still here.
Thanks LA Vol.
GoRenniaDavis!

I’ve ALWAYS said that Rennia can be another Tamika Catchings type player if she truly wanted too.. she’s way better than what she already is... i feel like she can be her worst enemy at times, so I hope Kellie find more ways to get her involved offensively..

I look forward to seeing an entire season of the type of on-court demeanor that Davis had at the very beginning of the season last year. She was happy, having fun, and always hustling. I am so excited for her that she’s going to be able to get back to feeling the same love of the game that she came to Tennessee with.

She is going to kill it next season!

Great idea, LA Vol, it’s a welcome thread to be able to recognize and appreciate Rennia, and all our Lady Vol basketball players. I believe Coach Harper will help them find their confidence, and instill toughness in each member of the team. It’s a new beginning, next year is gonna be exciting!
GO LADY VOLS!!!

Finally someone with a healthy outlook on Lady Vol BB’s present situation. I think the Lady Vols will be fine. Let’s settle back and be positive. Support who we have and let them know that they are appropriated. Don’t look back, look forward, I believe that good things are about to happen.

Lot of eyes will be on Rennia Davis this year. With a slew of new changes, players leaving etc, she will be that one person that will need to be looked upon for leadership. Will it happen, that’s another story. She just doesn’t have that will or go getta that I’ve seen from her ex teammates from her class, Evina and Annie sooo I hope that changes this year and she steps up on the court, on the sideline and being that leader we so gratefully need right now.

TRUST

friend-trust-level-epic-and-unprecedented.gif

Reactions: RollerVol

And those are just her basketball aspects... I hope she fills the Vol Leadership Program role. I know her coming in with an Associates Degree essentially put her on a different academic track than her teammates but if I was CKJH I would say Re we need you and this program (not that she doesn’t have enough on her plate but what’s one more thing right 😂) this would probably put her in an situation that isn’t natural but would benefit her not only on the court but when she is starting up her own restaurants.

I am intrigued to know how she does off the court because she seemed like a pretty no-nonsense student focused on getting her schooling done. It has been reported some of her teammates possibly not so much so she hopefully she has separated herself in that aspect too !

A more aggressive Davis could be the best player in the SEC next season. I expect her to work on her ball handling and cut down on her bad decisions that led to 83 turnovers. She is a very talented player that turns down to many open shots and doesn't take it to the rim with enough aggression.

If Davis was this good this year without the benefit of great coaching and good team chemistry, it's heartening to imagine how much better she can be when she's well-coached, happy and motivated. She didn't seem to be having much fun this year, and it affected her energy level and intensity at times. Her ceiling is very high.

Mimi Collins is another reason to be positive. She was our best 3-pt shooter and she didn't shoot that much or have a lot of confidence. She can be a lot better with good coaching. All the FR have the potential for great improvement, and we have a talented class coming in. No reason not to be optimistic now that a lot of the problems have been, and are being, resolved by a coach who's invested in bringing the program back.

If Davis was this good this year without the benefit of great coaching and good team chemistry, it's heartening to imagine how much better she can be when she's well-coached, happy and motivated. She didn't seem to be having much fun this year, and it affected her energy level and intensity at times. Her ceiling is very high.

Mimi Collins is another reason to be positive. She was our best 3-pt shooter and she didn't shoot that much or have a lot of confidence. She can be a lot better with good coaching. All the FR have the potential for great improvement, and we have a talented class coming in. No reason not to be optimistic now that a lot of the problems have been, and are being, resolved by a coach who's invested in bringing the program back.

I agree wholeheartedly, I think Rennia was putting a lot of pressure on herself at times last season as well, looked like she was trying to carry a heavy load.

Mimi Collins could be a difference maker next season, her play did improve as the season progressed and it is awesome that she can stretch the defense a little bit. If she buys in to Coach Harper's vision I could actually see her being a starter. She needs to improve her redounding a bit, but she was one of our best defenders and moved her feet really well, even guarding on the perimeter and at the top of the press.

I'm thinking a line-up of Horston (if she's ready and as good as everyone says), Green, Davis, Collins and KK/Key could be great. I think Zaay has a ton of potential as well, just needs reined in a little and she'll be amazing in transition and off the bounce. She is FAST and she does play hard, she just needs to learn to play smart. Unless Jazz really elevates her game over the summer I don't see her as our starting PG, her defense was non-existent last season and she never showed she could be a consistent offensive threat.

Rennia is probably already the leader of this team in work effort. Not everyone wants to be the vocal leader, if she doesn’t want to be that person, someone else with that type of personality, maybe even a new recruit, will. The future looks bright.

Reactions: lvocd and LA Vol
Rennie is one three point shooter that will be with the team. We need another three point shooters that are consistent make all the difference in the world as to how a team can play you. Davis is a tremendous three point shoot she just doesn't take them as often as she should. I like Burrell's shot couldn't understand why she was missing so many terrific form on her shot.

Totally agree with everything you said. Mimi looks like she can shoot from anywhere, and made some clutch shots last season, she’s also a fighter, she’s just beginning, and has tons of upside. Coach Kellie will be driven to help them all be their best.

Looks like Lou Brown could be a vocal leader next year. Davis is naturally quieter and tends to lead by example, though she could step up and be more forceful with a different team dynamic. Davis really does have a tremendous work ethic; hopefully, that will encourage some of the others to work on their own games.

The FR were already showing flashes of improvement, but the frustration was evident as the season went on. Collins, Green and Burrell all showed signs of being great players for us, and KK will be more of an impact as her conditioning improves. Massengill got more PT than some, but seems to have a way to go. We need perimeter shooters, so Brown and Rennie can help us there, along with Davis, Collins and Green. It will be interesting to see how quickly they all develop under the new staff.

VN Store

Back