Danny White

An AD isn't a "rock star" position. White is exceptional at the boring stuff: drawing money, updating facilities, hiring coaches, etc. That's not sexy work.

He's like George Martin was for the Beatles. You need someone who DOESN'T want to be a "rock star" as an AD. That's been our problem with the last AD.

OK, I have asked this question in several threads and not received any answers. What makes this guy such a rock star? He was at UCF. Hardly a school known for any stellar excellence outside of a couple of years prior to CJH's arrival. Before that, obscurity, and not just in football. As I said elsewhere, all I have seen is a week long search and the hire of a guy he knows very well that was on NOBODY's A list. So he's a home run type hire? I don't see it.

Help me out.
Dan has an immaculate pedigree. His family ties and education are top of the line. His hiring of coaches has been impeccable to this point, and that has been at challenging locales. He hires amazing support staff, and their treatment is amazing. He is a wizard at communication and interpreting innovative Excel spreadsheets. UCF is the largest University in the nation, and that means something. I believe he could do little wrong and would follow him about anywhere at this point.

That being said, I found his Head Football Coach search to be lacking in light of everything else.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
OK, I have asked this question in several threads and not received any answers. What makes this guy such a rock star? He was at UCF. Hardly a school known for any stellar excellence outside of a couple of years prior to CJH's arrival. Before that, obscurity, and not just in football. As I said elsewhere, all I have seen is a week long search and the hire of a guy he knows very well that was on NOBODY's A list. So he's a home run type hire? I don't see it.
Help me out.

Much like you I’m not sure either. I’ve read all the hype the talking heads fed us about his credentials and I guess some of it makes sense. I see it just like our new coach. Only time will tell. Out of curiosity, who would you have went after over White? I don’t keep up with who is a successful AD and who isn’t.

We were talking about the AD, yes? UT athletics as a whole is in good shape. It is the Football program that has been underperforming.

Exactly. The ADs primary job is to run a clean and profitable athletics program. That, to many folks, means increasing revenue year/year. Implied task there is success in Football and BB (revenue producing sports).

Exactly. The ADs primary job is to run a clean and profitable athletics program. That, to many folks, means increasing revenue year/year. Implied task there is success in Football and BB (revenue producing sports).
One happened prior to him. One is yet TBD. Let's see if he can increase revenue without raising ticket prices. :) (I'll take the 'bet he can't' on that one, and raising prices is easy)

Reactions: TBDVOL
Much like you I’m not sure either. I’ve read all the hype the talking heads fed us about his credentials and I guess some of it makes sense. I see it just like our new coach. Only time will tell. Out of curiosity, who would you have went after over White? I don’t keep up with who is a successful AD and who isn’t.
Honestly I don't know which is part of the reason I started the thread. I just wanted to know what makes this guy so special.

Could one of the doubters please recommend a better AD that we could have hired? I vaguely knew some of the family history before he was hired. He was ranked #4 AD in the country by Stadium.

Reactions: dlravol2
I want one worth $2 million... since that's what we paid.
He is considered among the top ADs in the entire industry. Those endorsements come from his peers as well as media.

Name someone better than him that would consider leaving their current job for UT. You can't. Not only is he among the best in his profession, he's driven by ambition, shown by his eagerness to attempt a revive of UT football and UT athletics in general.

There are so many positives in this guy's resume, past performance, and character, you'd be very hard-pressed to find anyone close to him to fill the AD spot.

If you think you can find better, please list them. I'm sure we all want to know who your "rock star" AD is.

One happened prior to him. One is yet TBD. Let's see if he can increase revenue without raising ticket prices. :) (I'll take the 'bet he can't' on that one, and raising prices is easy)

On one hand you say.....”let’s see if he can”......then on the other you simply say “I bet he can’t”

Your simply coming from the standpoint.....”that he can’t”

Which clearly indicates......your not even giving him a chance.

You asked a question. You’ve been given answers. Maybe he “can” be good.....maybe he can’t. However why even ask this question or start this thread......if your not even willing to give him the “chance”?

Reactions: hexnut and 1967vol
He hired Bobby Hurley who went 40-22 and went to the tourney before moving up to Ariz St. He hired Nate Oats who went 96-43 and took the team to 2 tourneys before moving up to
Alabama where he has them undefeated in SEC play. He hired Lance Leipold who has taken Buffalo to 3 straight bowls. He hired Scott Frost who went 13-0 in 2017 and took UCF to bowls both his years there. He hired Heupel who went 28-8 at UCF and went to bowls all 3 years.
Way better answer than mine.

Help me out.

He was also the #4 ranked AD in the country. He's got history of success.

Help me out.

50 level 1 Violations. What coach in their right mind comes to a toxic fan base, where they could possibly have one hand tied behind their back before they even start.

Help me out.

It's a lot of wishful thinking, orange colored glasses. VOL fans have a contingent that does the same for every hire. Exaggerate all of the accomplishments and completely ignore any less than favorable data.

I hope he does well here, we need that to happen in a big way.

It's a lot of wishful thinking, orange colored glasses. VOL fans have a contingent that does the same for every hire. Exaggerate all of the accomplishments and completely ignore any less than favorable data.

I hope he does well here, we need that to happen in a big way.
Absolutely. With out a doubt I agree with you.

VN Store

Back