Danny White Year 1

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Let's not overplay the importance of NCAA bids in basketball. It's something, but not exactly a major achievement. They are big tournaments with lots of participants.
Turbo, I agree with just about everything you posted, really good run-down. Just have to pick a nit with the first thing you said (quoted above).

Big tournaments, yes, but big fields to choose from too. There are 353 division I men's basketball teams. 68 of them make the NCAA tournament. That's just over 19%.

As a point of comparison, 19% of the Power 5 teams in football == 12 teams. That is, perhaps not coincidentally, how many participants some proponents would like to see in an expanded football playoff.

Or, if you wannt to include all of FBS, 19% == 25 teams.

In other words, getting into the NCAA tournament in basketball is equivalent to ending the season with a Top 25 ranking in football.

Not elite, not Top 10 or Top 5, no, but still an accomplishment. It's worth a bit of crowing.

Again, thanks for the nice post.

Go Vols!

Majors

Yes.. but Fulmer hired most of these coaches if not all. The only hire White can claim so far is in Football…. Yea Fulmer screwed up with Pruitt but the search was basically ruined when he came into it.

I think Fulmer did a great job with most of the sports… just not really with football bc it was a huge rebuild and he hired Pruitt who wasn’t the right dude…

Whether White does a great job or not will take several Years to find out.
He hired, CJH. If football is healthy everything else falls into place. He elevated baseball experience under his watch with an investment into the program long term. Which Currie hired CTV. White made the fans a priority while others just tried to get football in the right direction with mediocre to failing results.

Orange_Crush

I'm thankful.
Wouldn't there only be two possible candidates for that anyway? It kind of reads like, "We were pretty good in two sports and excellent in one."

I'm the only person in the world to wear a t-shirt, flannel PJ bottoms and flipflops to work from my specific home office today.

GUNTERSVOL

VOL FROM BIRTH
That was clear about the administration the day Fulmer was hired as AD. But we have enough to make Greenland green. Or if they get irrigation going well there, what about Ethopia? We could cause an obesity crisis over there if we got the shipping issue solved. I guess they got some of the hunger crisis issues solved there, but has anyone ever met a fat Ethopian? I don't think so.
It is sad that the unruly, snarky and discretion starved fans get the amount of attention that they do, but it is just the reality of the world we live in. Mattress burners, bus schedulers, and mustard and golf ball throwers get plenty of attention and are most likely among those character challenged fans that think "giving their all" requires them to consistently shovel their own brand of fertilizer, most of which is of the equine created variety. They do not seem to realize that when their offerings get deep enough they are burning the grass we need for the program to sell to the Jimmys and Joes and Janes and Jills and their support folks and even coaches and staffers needed to advance. Scorched earth has very little value add.

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
...has anyone ever met a fat Ethopian? I don't think so.
Oh, yeah. Several. First one, I met in 1986, then met several more when I traveled through Ethiopia to get to Eritrea in the late 1990s. The poor Ethiopians (and Eritreans) may have been starving, but the well-off, they had plenty.

I think maybe you meant Somalis. I've never in my life met a fat Somali. Even "rich" Somalis are always hungry.

Clad in Big Orange

How do we appear to be behind in the "NIL thing?" The University hasn't been able to affect NIL deals by law until just recently. So if we *are* behind, you can't lay that on Danny White. I'm not rah-rah'ing the dude, but c'mon man.. None of us laymen understand how the NIL has worked to this point, and going forward, that's going to be on boosters and local businesses, and national businesses that want to give our players deals.
I'm not laying blame on White for TN's comparatively weak NIL at this early stage. But....the AD has always been a fundraiser first and foremost. His job is to increase booster support. It seems logical that the NIL would be an extension of the AD's fundraising efforts. It's still early, but the point of this thread was to evaluate White after one year. Other than hiring Heupel and retaining Vitello, what are the feathers in his cap?

GUNTERSVOL

VOL FROM BIRTH
Other than WBB what other coach did Phil hire?
It way to simplified to just study how many coaches each AD hired and is silly to attribute growth or decline to just the AD and not the senior staff who are tasked with oversight and required to provide guidance to the AD as well as his bosses. Drive a nail in the ground on CPF's day 1 and run trend lines till his day last and see what you see. An AD is not tasked to just replace coaches or measured on their performances, but the health of the entire department. He hurt us with the Pruitt fiasco and he owns it. He also owns the rest of the programs growth or loss. Hiring or keeping good people in place to support coaches and players is the name of the game. I think CPF took some good notes from Dickey's days and learned a lot of what to avoid by watching most of those that followed him. But White has a chance to exceed them all and the background to get it done. But the proof is in the pudding and he has just begun to acquire new and assess current ingredients. Our NCAA open issues and other problems have created some supply chain issues.

Aladywhovolunteer

Neither of those matter or have any actual connection to the AD or our school
Odd take. Did you watch the Cornhole Tournament on television? If it had nothing to do with the University of Tennessee, why did the announcers repeatly refer to the winning team as the team representing the University of Tennessee. Just Curious

Rickyvol77

Odd take. Did you watch the Cornhole Tournament on television? If it had nothing to do with the University of Tennessee, why did the announcers repeatly refer to the winning team as the team representing the University of Tennessee. Just Curious
It’s a club sport. The AD or school has nothing to do with it. It’s like if a frat decided to play in a national sand volleyball league

volsdeepnsc

A word from experience and observation over many years. When you look at a successful first year person (sometimes more) in any endeavor I can think of, you must look at the person that came before them. If any successful first year leader is truthful, they will, at least to themselves give some credit and thanks to their processor. Regardless of how that person is/was perceived by others.
Which I have heard Danny White do multiple times.

SmokinBob

(♀) Team chargervol
I'm not laying blame on White for TN's comparatively weak NIL at this early stage. But....the AD has always been a fundraiser first and foremost. His job is to increase booster support. It seems logical that the NIL would be an extension of the AD's fundraising efforts. It's still early, but the point of this thread was to evaluate White after one year. Other than hiring Heupel and retaining Vitello, what are the feathers in his cap?
He also listened to the fans during baseball season and it was great!

turbovol

Didn’t Fulmer hire Harper? At least he had that.
Harper has done a good job coaching up this team--but all her best players were here when she arrived and her recruiting has
been fairly lackluster so far. She badly needs to make a big run in this year's tourney and build some recruiting momentum off of it.

wmcovol

Didn’t Fulmer hire Harper? At least he had that.
Actually Fulmer was gonna hire the Louisville womens coach I believe until the Lady Vol alums told him he wasn’t.

Nevertheless, even Fulmer said when he was hired “getting Football fixed” was his top assignment. And boy did he fail at that.

cobbwebb0710

Believe the Heup
"The University of Tennessee is the only school in the country that can claim a football bowl game, NCAA Tournament bids for men’s and women’s basketball and a College World Series appearance in baseball in the calendar year of 2021, all of which makes for a pretty successful first year for athletic director Danny White.

That anniversary is Friday, and right now the Vols also can boast about the No. 1 men’s tennis team in the country, two more pending NCAA hoops bids — with Kellie Harper’s team at No. 5 in the nation, 17-1 and perhaps on its way to special things — the highest Graduation Success Rate (91 percent) in school history and a lot of reasons for 2022 football excitement. The complaints about White’s decision to hire Josh Heupel, his football coach at UCF, have turned to commendations."

"I think we’ve accomplished a lot in the first year. In my mind, I liken it to a foundation. We’re not done with the foundation yet, but we’ve done a lot of good work in building a foundation from which we can have a ton of success. I think about building a business model that allows us to go back to being the Tennessee we once were. Getting our facilities back to being at the top of the SEC and the country. We’ve started projects already and we’re working through the process of others to make sure that happens. Fundraising has gone really well in that respect. And then doing things to get our budget model and revenue machine going to the place when Tennessee was competing for national championships. Not just football but across the board. We were one of the top budgets in the SEC, one of the top Learfield Cup all-sports ranking finishers in the SEC as a department."

Rexrode, The Athletic
So we’re in year 1, anno danni...🤓
GBO!!

Volfansince1980

"The University of Tennessee is the only school in the country that can claim a football bowl game, NCAA Tournament bids for men’s and women’s basketball and a College World Series appearance in baseball in the calendar year of 2021, all of which makes for a pretty successful first year for athletic director Danny White.

That anniversary is Friday, and right now the Vols also can boast about the No. 1 men’s tennis team in the country, two more pending NCAA hoops bids — with Kellie Harper’s team at No. 5 in the nation, 17-1 and perhaps on its way to special things — the highest Graduation Success Rate (91 percent) in school history and a lot of reasons for 2022 football excitement. The complaints about White’s decision to hire Josh Heupel, his football coach at UCF, have turned to commendations."

"I think we’ve accomplished a lot in the first year. In my mind, I liken it to a foundation. We’re not done with the foundation yet, but we’ve done a lot of good work in building a foundation from which we can have a ton of success. I think about building a business model that allows us to go back to being the Tennessee we once were. Getting our facilities back to being at the top of the SEC and the country. We’ve started projects already and we’re working through the process of others to make sure that happens. Fundraising has gone really well in that respect. And then doing things to get our budget model and revenue machine going to the place when Tennessee was competing for national championships. Not just football but across the board. We were one of the top budgets in the SEC, one of the top Learfield Cup all-sports ranking finishers in the SEC as a department."

Rexrode, The Athletic
He’s hired one guy.

Volfansince1980

Actually Fulmer was gonna hire the Louisville womens coach I believe until the Lady Vol alums told him he wasn’t.

Nevertheless, even Fulmer said when he was hired “getting Football fixed” was his top assignment. And boy did he fail at that.
And he also retained Barnes preventing a disaster for the men’s program. Not to mention, he spent money on the baseball program to keep Vitello happy. But let’s not let the truth stand in the way of a good lie. ‘Guys grab your pitchforks’

VN Store