Danny White aka Magic Man

We'll NEVER get to the top of that award. They count every no-count sport on the planet. Stanford has about 1200 different recognized sports. UT has no water polo or gymnastics or Equestrian or... It's not weighted properly, IMO.
I think we can be competitive. The Director's Cup allows each university to count results from the 19 sports teams that did best. So if you have 19 or more, you can "use up every space on the score card."

Sure, having 26 or even 30 sports allows for more mulligans so that your 19 best score as high as possible, but that's a relatively small advantage.

I think Tennessee has 18 sports. Depending on whether outdoor and indoor track & field count as separate sports. We have:

(1) football, (2) men's basketball, (3) women's basketball, (4) baseball, (5) softball, (6) women's soccer, (7) women's volleyball, (8) men's tennis, (9) women's tennis, (10) men's golf, (11) women's golf, (12) women's rowing, (13) men's swimming, (14) women's swimming, (15) men's track & field, (16) women's track & field, (17) men's cross country, (18) women's cross country ...and if indoor track is separate,... (19) men's indoor track & field, (20) women's indoor track & field.

So I'd say we can compete. Even if the Stanfords and Texas' of the world have an edge with their "extra sports."

Shouldn't we have a forum for them, especially now that they are champs?
I’ll leave that up to @Freak . The stories that I could tell from hanging out with those guys probably wouldn’t be suitable for a family message board. 👍

I doubt we see a "White Way" in Knoxville anytime soon....

Do we still have White Ave., where I lived my last semester? Put up a statue of a white dude wearing a sports coat and open collar dress shirt. Maybe not as iconic as The General on a knee during practice, but still.

Last edited:
How Dan White is doing it:

(1) Setting baseline conditions of (a) integrity and (b) focus on the well-being of our athletes. Throughout the program, all sports.
(2) Meeting with and listening to the players. Getting huge buy-in from them in return. Coaches are generally following this model as well; Dan White is having a positive influence on their leadership styles. Trickle-down goodness.
(3) Setting a high bar for success. Being very clear what success looks like: championships, across all sports.
(4) Hiring and retaining the best possible head coaches, and giving them the funding and tools to hire the best possible assistants and support staff.
(5) Asking the coaches what they need to succeed. Then getting it for them.
(6) Clearing the path ahead of each coaching staff of unnecessary obstacles. That includes Dan himself and the AD staff getting out of their way, too.

None of this is magic. None of it is rocket science. But it does take a strong and charismatic leader, a bright and insightful thinker, a tireless and determined manager. And that whole package, that combination of talents, is rare.

We got one of them now. Let's keep him for a lifetime.

As for the Director's Cup, I'm thinking we might just crack the Top 10 this year. And go from 9th in the SEC to perhaps 1st or 2nd. We'll see.
This is a good post. He’s also starting to get some boosters on the same page which is akin to herding rabid cats.

I think we can be competitive. The Director's Cup allows each university to count results from the 19 sports teams that did best. So if you have 19 or more, you can "use up every space on the score card."

Sure, having 26 or even 30 sports allows for more mulligans so that your 19 best score as high as possible, but that's a relatively small advantage.

I think Tennessee has 18 sports. Depending on whether outdoor and indoor track & field count as separate sports. We have:

(1) football, (2) men's basketball, (3) women's basketball, (4) baseball, (5) softball, (6) women's soccer, (7) women's volleyball, (8) men's tennis, (9) women's tennis, (10) men's golf, (11) women's golf, (12) women's rowing, (13) men's swimming, (14) women's swimming, (15) men's track & field, (16) women's track & field, (17) men's cross country, (18) women's cross country ...and if indoor track is separate,... (19) men's indoor track & field, (20) women's indoor track & field.

So I'd say we can compete. Even if the Stanfords and Texas' of the world have an edge with their "extra sports."
I'd rather have a national championship in any sport than a Directors Cup "championship". That Stanford won it for 20 some years shows its real worth to me.

As for Mr. White...

apolgoize.gif

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
can we put the breaks on the 'successful' football program until we have maybe 3 years of consistence success/improvement? otherwise, the report of Tennessee's "resuscitation" may be just an exaggeration -- Mark Twain

sure, be excited, by optimistic, but don't go nuts and build a statue this early.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
can we put the breaks on the 'successful' football program until we have maybe 3 years of consistence success/improvement? otherwise, the report of Tennessee's "resuscitation" may be just an exaggeration -- Mark Twain

sure, be excited, by optimistic, but don't go nuts and build a statue this early.
This x 1,000. Maybe we could actually beat a big-boy SEC team before we anoint Heupel.

Heupel has resuscitated the FB program. He didn't hire Vitello, but he beat back the poachers. Tennis won the SEC and has been ranked #1. Track finished #3 at the NCAAs and the women were top 15. Softball has a tiny number in front of it. WCBB made the S16 after a long dryspell. Basketball SEC tourney champs. Rugby national champs (does he get credit for that one - I have no idea).

Do they have national awards for ADs? Danny White would surely lap the field.
Rugby is a clue sport. No relation to UTAD

I’ll leave that up to @Freak . The stories that I could tell from hanging out with those guys probably wouldn’t be suitable for a family message board. 👍
Yeah, it was just a general question. I might start watching it when I start paying for streamed TV again.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

We should probably add Wrestling & Lacrosse just to have a few extra options for football season.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat

My money…my statue! 😎

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
I said it last year when the AD and Football HC slots were open at the same time - the AD hire is / was of magnitudes greater importance than the HC hire.
I stand by that today. We could have hired Saban himself, but if we would have gotten another Mike Hamilton in AD it would not have mattered.

Last thing too - in the "revenue sports", we could end 2022 like this:
Men's Basketball - SECT Champs, Top 5 end of season ranking
Ladies' Basketball - Sweet 16 NCAAT, Top 10 end of season ranking
Baseball - CWS run (TBD ending), Top 5 end of season ranking
Softball - WCWS run (TBD), Top 10 end of season ranking
Football - 9-10 win season, Major bowl win, Top 10 end of season ranking

When's the last time UT had a year like that ???
Well, the football team hasn't finished in the Top 10 since 2001, so at least that long.

Reactions: IndianaVol
When I get my act together, my wife calls me the magic man. :cool:

The trick is to think about baseball

VN Store

Back