Dan Mullen: We got lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y’all do realize that Mullen is the greatest coach in the history of Mississippi State football, right? Y’all do realize he made that sooped-up High School stadium one of the toughest places in America to play football. Y’all do realize he had Mississippi State ranked solidly number one in the country at one point for an extended period of time. Y’all do realize he’s one of the very few coaches who left Mississippi State on his own accord as opposed to being fired. He was taking Mississippi State to bowl games yearly, when before he arrived, Mississippi State was the Vandy of the SEC west.

His results at Mississippi State, combined with his stunningly good first year at Florida, shouts that Mullen is an elite coach.
Dont know about elite Jaws.I do however think he is a great play caller and developer of dual threat QBs. I think he will have UF soundly in the mix in the Sec for sure. But let him win a title or two before we say hes elite.

Reactions: Jaws
Way too early to tell if Pruitt was a better guy for the Vols than Mullen would have been. My opinion, Mullen would have been a good, safe hire for UT. He has experience, and won in the SEC when the West was a war every week. Not sure about his ability to recruit to UT, and the fit. I still wasn't overly excited when his name was reported as a possibilty.

Another angle, UF still had very good talent last year. Believe they had five guys drafted in the first five rounds in April. Zero Vols were drafted, period. I don't think Mullen, Saban or Merlin the Magician could have done anything with the upperclassmen Pruitt inherited from the Bricklayer. At this time, I'm happy with the guy who wants to be here and that is CJP.

Way too early to tell if Pruitt was a better guy for the Vols than Mullen would have been. My opinion, Mullen would have been a good, safe hire for UT. He has experience, and won in the SEC when the West was a war every week. Not sure about his ability to recruit to UT, and the fit. I still wasn't overly excited when his name was reported as a possibilty.

Another angle, UF still had very good talent last year. Believe they had five guys drafted in the first five rounds in April. Zero Vols were drafted, period. I don't think Mullen, Saban or Merlin the Magician could have done anything with the upperclassmen Pruitt inherited from the Bricklayer. At this time, I'm happy with the guy who wants to be here and that is CJP.
yep, this pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Lol to your seemingly torn up butt because some of disagree about your love of the Gators' coach.

It's genuinely hard for me to imagine you being upset if Mullen fails and proves you wrong. I hope we never find out, but tell me you wouldn't enjoy being right.

So you think I would like to see Tennessee lose to a hated rival so that I can say I told you so to a bunch of anonymous message board posters I’ll most likely never meet. Ok Behr.

I kinda disagree a little on the Mullen - Pruitt comparison. While I love Pruitt's down home good old boy charm the jury is still out on him as a head coach. Hes a great DC and recruiter but I will hold off judgement on him as a head coach for a couple of years. Mullen has been a fairly successful head coach in what many people consider football's toughest division and did decent last year .

This all day long.

Dont know about elite Jaws.I do however think he is a great play caller and developer of dual threat QBs. I think he will have UF soundly in the mix in the Sec for sure. But let him win a title or two before we say hes elite.

Good post, very fair-minded. He’s off to a great start but you’re right, he’ll be just another guy without Championships.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
LOL to all of you. He has a top 10 class right now and won a boatload of more games than we did last year with marginally better talent. Mullen was a home run hire for them and will mostl likely dominate us for the next few years
I hope your love for Mullen doesn’t chap ur throat.

Agree but I never thought Mullen was coming to UT. He’s at home at UF, he knows the good bad and ugly of the culture, he’s got athletes who are a much better fit with what he wants to do than Pruitt has at UT right now, and he’s got legit tough SEC HC experience. So he’s got UF off the blocks faster but my money is on Pruitt & Co. to catch up by Year 3.
I think Mullen would be at UT, if UF didn't dodge a bullet with Chip Kelly bolting to UCLA. It's also about where programs are...Mullen may fit UF because there was more talent there to win quicker. I'm not sure Mullen's quirky personality would line up very well at UT, coming off Butch Jones, and having a team last year that couldn't have won with Saban as HC. Mullen seems thin skinned, so he'd probably not be real comfortable with us coming off a decade of losing. I think give some credit to Fulmer for recognizing Pruitt's the kind of tough minded/straight forward coach that UT needs at this time.

let's quit looking backwards! If's and but's! we got our man, and he's going to be a great one. Remember that dumpster fire he inherited? These last 3 coaches ain't going to get statues, this one just might. Wishful thinking on my part and I hope everybody else's.

Look OP I like Pruitt and hope he gets it done but Mullen embarrassed the VOLS last year making Pruitt look like a "small school coach." I am looking forward to the days when the rivalry will sway in our favor but as of right now, Mullen ate Pruitt's lunch. I could also care less if we have a down to earth country boy coach. UT needs to win some damn games and quit being the laughing stock of CFB.

Based on what we know right now, one would be crazy to select Pruitt over Mullen. Now, that could change, but there is no comparison at the present.

But, it still isn’t nearly as crazy as the poster who suggested he would take Pruitt over Saban. And Gary Patterson.

I just wonder if he can handle the fans when they start getting restless. I know he's been there before, but he hasn't been the HC of the Florida Gators when things aren't going like they expect. MSU fans were always happy.
You're right. How is he going to handle it when they start throwing bottles of urine...

Reactions: Behr
I think Mullen would be at UT, if UF didn't dodge a bullet with Chip Kelly bolting to UCLA. It's also about where programs are...Mullen may fit UF because there was more talent there to win quicker. I'm not sure Mullen's quirky personality would line up very well at UT, coming off Butch Jones, and having a team last year that couldn't have won with Saban as HC. Mullen seems thin skinned, so he'd probably not be real comfortable with us coming off a decade of losing. I think give some credit to Fulmer for recognizing Pruitt's the kind of tough minded/straight forward coach that UT needs at this time.
word!

I’m not the biggest guy about religion but he believes in the Church of Scientology, enough said.

Look OP I like Pruitt and hope he gets it done but Mullen embarrassed the VOLS last year making Pruitt look like a "small school coach." I am looking forward to the days when the rivalry will sway in our favor but as of right now, Mullen ate Pruitt's lunch. I could also care less if we have a down to earth country boy coach. UT needs to win some damn games and quit being the laughing stock of CFB.

I am glad you aren't putting a game plan together for UT. You don't have a clue. PRUITT'S O had the ball 8:50 longer, had 4 more first downs, and had only 23 less yards after turning the ball over 6 times compared to UF's 1. Yes, the score was lopsided. But, you don't blame Pruitt and say Mullen made him look like a 'small school coach' when the players on the field didn't execute and turned the ball over 6 times!!! How many times did UT give UF the ball inside the UT 25? It was 3! Those three turnovers inside UT's 25 and a safety gave UF 23 points. Hell, they won by 26. UF had scoring drives of 7, 19, and 21 and the UT O gave up a safety all within 16 seconds into the 3rd quarter. UF also scored on two long plays where the UT D was out of position resulting in a 47 and 65 yard TD. Pruitt's D really allowed one sustained drive by UF O of 7 plays for 75 yards. If that is Pruitt's D getting made look like 'small school coach that had his lunch ate' to you, you are clueless!!! Post some facts before you accuse Pruitt of looking like a small school coach compared to Mullen. I am sure Stoops and Malzhan doesn't think Pruitt is a 'small school coach'!!!

Honestly, I wanted Mullen and I think he would have done great at UT with a staff full of elite recruiters and great DC. We will never know what could have been. Mullen proved to be a great HC at MSU. Those that say otherwise are clueless! Is Mullen elite? We will find out the next 3-5 years. I don't know which coach between Mullen and Pruitt will come out on top in the next 3-5 years. But, I have my money on Pruitt in the long run given equal talent based on what I have seen happen the last 18 months of each program!!!

Last edited:
I was a Mullen supporter during the search, but I think we came out of the debacle stronger and in the best possible position with a coach that knows how to recruit and coach players.

I honestly can't tell yet if were better off or worse without Mullen. But, I'm sure glad he's not our coach based on watching his actions closer over the last year. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back