Dan Mullen: We got lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackieaprilesr

leave the gun, take the cannoli
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...-too-much-mullen-troll-georgia-feeding-beast/
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...ul-look-mullen-not-just-because-comment-2019/

reading through some articles on Dan Mullen this year, i think Tennessee fans are going to look back in 5 years and be thankful that Mullen did not come to Tennessee.

he did a great job at Mississippi State but since he has taken over the Florida job, he continues to act like a small school coach.

based on articles, the 2019 recruiting class is a dumpster fire. and he has decided to pick a fight with Georgia in the media..........sounds like a young Kiffin / Butch hybrid.

no doubt that Mullen can coach dual threat QB's and play calling. but as time goes by, i seem to be more grateful to have a down-to-earth, developmental, country-boy coach in Pruitt that is providing confident stability.

this fanbase could not take another loud-mouth coach that cant hold on to his players. IMO, if Mullen and Currie would of struck a deal, the chaos on the Hill would be greater today than ever in history.

also, we all know Mullen would not stay in Knoxville long term, especially if the Florida job came open again, leaving Currie to hire another coach.

THANK YOU DAN MULLEN FOR GIVING TENNESSEE A NEW AD AND COACH.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...-too-much-mullen-troll-georgia-feeding-beast/
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/c...ul-look-mullen-not-just-because-comment-2019/

reading through some articles on Dan Mullen this year, i think Tennessee fans are going to look back in 5 years and be thankful that Mullen did not come to Tennessee.

he did a great job at Mississippi State but since he has taken over the Florida job, he continues to act like a small school coach.

based on articles, the 2019 recruiting class is a dumpster fire. and he has decided to pick a fight with Georgia in the media..........sounds like a young Kiffin / Butch hybrid.

no doubt that Mullen can coach dual threat QB's and play calling. but as time goes by, i seem to be more grateful to have a down-to-earth, developmental, country-boy coach in Pruitt that is providing confident stability.

this fanbase could not take another loud-mouth coach that cant hold on to his players. IMO, if Mullen and Currie would of struck a deal, the chaos on the Hill would be greater today than ever in history.

also, we all know Mullen would not stay in Knoxville long term, especially if the Florida job came open again, leaving Currie to hire another coach.

That would mean he did special things in Knoxville, when you're winning no one cares how loud you are.

I kinda disagree a little on the Mullen - Pruitt comparison. While I love Pruitt's down home good old boy charm the jury is still out on him as a head coach. Hes a great DC and recruiter but I will hold off judgement on him as a head coach for a couple of years. Mullen has been a fairly successful head coach in what many people consider football's toughest division and did decent last year .

I must have been the only person that didn't want Mullen. While I agree it was Miss St, how many seasons did he start off with a bang and drop game after game to end the season? When the upper SEC teams came to play his teams tended to fold.

I was traveling to Jackson, MS on national JUCO signing day a couple years back and Mullen was on the radio discussing MSU's JUCO signing class. Someone asked him how he did so well with the JUCOs and he said "We were able to show the players if they come to MSU, they could be champions on the field, in the classroom, and in life"

I must have been the only person that didn't want Mullen. While I agree it was Miss St, how many seasons did he start off with a bang and drop game after game to end the season? When the upper SEC teams came to play his teams tended to fold.

Oh no, there were a lot of people against Mullen because his W/L record at MSU wasn't shiny enough. Of course, Mullen won at 150-200 basis points higher than historical norms at MSU but MSU is historically as bad or even worse than Vandy and has by far the lowest funding of any public SEC school......

The guy can flat out coach. He does have flaws though (His personality is abrasive, not sure he would recruit at a championship level, and his moral compass is off a bit - He is an Urban disciple after all) but he did inherit a 4 win team as well....

Credit to @Bassmaster_Vol with the find, because it's freaking hilarious.

This joke is funnier
WillieTaggart-White-819x1024.jpg

Reactions: BreatheUT

Agree but I never thought Mullen was coming to UT. He’s at home at UF, he knows the good bad and ugly of the culture, he’s got athletes who are a much better fit with what he wants to do than Pruitt has at UT right now, and he’s got legit tough SEC HC experience. So he’s got UF off the blocks faster but my money is on Pruitt & Co. to catch up by Year 3.

LOL to all of you. He has a top 10 class right now and won a boatload of more games than we did last year with marginally better talent. Mullen was a home run hire for them and will mostl likely dominate us for the next few years
You are the biggest Mullen fan I know. Pruitt will blow by him after another class or two and dont be surprised if we beat them this year at the swamp soundly.

i think Tennessee fans are going to look back in 5 years and be thankful that Mullen did not come to Tennessee.

I think you’re whistling through the graveyard. Mullen’s presence at Florida, and his results on the field last year with a team that everyone claimed before the season was talent deficient, has UF rivals paying close attention. Deep in their guts, rival fans know UF is always a good coach away from greatness. And if Mullen builds on last season, and continues recruiting at a top 10 level, Florida will resume its spot as the elite team in the SEC east. Florida has beaten Alabama 4 times in SEC title games. Nobody else can claim that.

Miami, FSU, Georgia fans, and to some extent UT fans, are literally hanging on to every word from Mullen’s mouth, and analyzing every player move, every commitment, decommittment, transfer, etc. They certainly didn’t do this with Mac or Muschamp. There is a reason for this. If Florida has a similar or better season this year to last year’s 10-win debut, that Florida machine may become unstoppable again like it was under its two other great coaches. And that idea has Gator haters worried as hell. Posts like this prove my point. Nobody was hand-wringing about McElwain or Muschamp. Nobody was twisting themselves into pretzels embellishing perceived bad news when Mac was at UF. The transfer portal is a perfect example. As has been shown many times, and can be looked up, UF is actually very normal, and even slightly on the lower side, when it comes to the transfer portal. But if you listen to rival fans, you’d think UF was leading the country and all of their projected starters have entered the portal.

Rival fans of Florida are doing all they can to blunt the momentum of Florida’s program. Embellishing the transfers or claiming because a few guys didn’t qualify in a recruiting class that Florida will be devastated, is laughable. Mullen has done a brilliant job of making Florida the most studied and talked about team in America this offseason. In a few short weeks, nobody will even remember that a hand full of 4th stringers entered the transfer portal, but they’ll sure remember the butt kicking they received at the hands of Dan Mullen’s 2019 Gators.

No, you weren't the only one.

The funny thing to me about it is how much it bothers the ones that think he's God's gift to football. I didn't want Dan Mullen so obviously I hate him and think he sucks.

Last edited:
The present UF AD came from MIss St and he hired Mullen also from Miss St. This Florida transfer of the Mississippi State athletic department to the University of Florida athletic department seems like a pretty large come bet on a roll of the dice. Some times you roll a craps, time will tell.

Oh no, there were a lot of people against Mullen because his W/L record at MSU wasn't shiny enough. Of course, Mullen won at 150-200 basis points higher than historical norms at MSU but MSU is historically as bad or even worse than Vandy and has by far the lowest funding of any public SEC school......

The guy can flat out coach. He does have flaws though (His personality is abrasive, not sure he would recruit at a championship level, and his moral compass is off a bit - He is an Urban disciple after all) but he did inherit a 4 win team as well....

Y’all do realize that Mullen is the greatest coach in the history of Mississippi State football, right? Y’all do realize he made that sooped-up High School stadium one of the toughest places in America to play football. Y’all do realize he had Mississippi State ranked solidly number one in the country at one point for an extended period of time. Y’all do realize he’s one of the very few coaches who left Mississippi State on his own accord as opposed to being fired. He was taking Mississippi State to bowl games yearly, when before he arrived, Mississippi State was the Vandy of the SEC west.

His results at Mississippi State, combined with his stunningly good first year at Florida, shouts that Mullen is an elite coach.

Reactions: 08Vol and tn4elvis

The funny thing to me about it is how much it bothers the ones that think he's God's gift to football. I didn't want Dan Mullen so obviously I hate him and think he sucks.

But you wanted Pruitt, right? He was your man all along?

I just wonder if he can handle the fans when they start getting restless. I know he's been there before, but he hasn't been the HC of the Florida Gators when things aren't going like they expect. MSU fans were always happy.
yup. his jordans won't help him then. they just fired a guy that won the East b2b years. we'd build a statue for that lol.

hope the whole thing goes up in flames.

Reactions: Behr
I kinda disagree a little on the Mullen - Pruitt comparison. While I love Pruitt's down home good old boy charm the jury is still out on him as a head coach. Hes a great DC and recruiter but I will hold off judgement on him as a head coach for a couple of years. Mullen has been a fairly successful head coach in what many people consider football's toughest division and did decent last year .

Respect to you, for a very honest assessment.

i wanted him, but i can admit when i was wrong. i'm just glad i get to do that at someone else's program's expense, and not mine.
:)

Y’all do realize that Mullen is the greatest coach in the history of Mississippi State football, right? Y’all do realize he made that sooped-up High School stadium one of the toughest places in America to play football. Y’all do realize he had Mississippi State ranked solidly number one in the country at one point for an extended period of time. Y’all do realize he’s one of the very few coaches who left Mississippi State on his own accord as opposed to being fired. He was taking Mississippi State to bowl games yearly, when before he arrived, Mississippi State was the Vandy of the SEC west.

His results at Mississippi State, combined with his stunningly good first year at Florida, shouts that Mullen is an elite coach.
Mullen is a good coach, let’s pump the breaks on elite right now. Idk what Mullen started with at Florida bc I couldn’t give a crap about Florida football but I highly doubt any coach could have a worse Strength program than we did with Butch. Talent may have been similar from a recruiting perspective but we’re farther behind as far as development IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back