Dan Mullen: We got lucky

Tin Man

Dirt's Childhood Playmate
For one, I'm glad Mullen is focusing his trolling at UGA. Being atop the division and Florida's natural border-state rival, Georgia's an understandable target. Please, ignore UT, Coach Mullen. Pay the Vols no mind until game week and offer nothing but pat platitudes ("Tennessee's a tough opponent. We'd better be prepared to play them.") to the press and public beforehand.

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
Hyperbole, but Jaws and Fade love them some Dan Mullen. Check they stats.
If UF beats us this year, what are the odds that Fade will be all contrarian and set up a "Dan Mullen Day" appreciation thread on VN?

Full disclosure, I was all for us going after Mullen but I do realize his warts too.....

Behr

GoVols!!
If UF beats us this year, what are the odds that Fade will be all contrarian and set up a "Dan Mullen Day" appreciation thread on VN?

Full disclosure, I was all for us going after Mullen but I do realize his warts too.....
It's always fascinated me, not just with him or with VN, I know it happens everywhere, but how some seem to care more about being right than anything, even if it means something bad for them. As long as they are right.

Another one of "those things" that happens irl but on here more often. I don't hate Mullen and I don't think he sucks, there were just others I wanted more than him. And Im not wrong, yet.

JohnWardForever

I was traveling to Jackson, MS on national JUCO signing day a couple years back and Mullen was on the radio discussing MSU's JUCO signing class. Someone asked him how he did so well with the JUCOs and he said "We were able to show the players if they come to MSU, they could be champions on the field, in the classroom, and in life"
KYLE copied that last part.

JohnWardForever

Y’all do realize that Mullen is the greatest coach in the history of Mississippi State football, right? Y’all do realize he made that sooped-up High School stadium one of the toughest places in America to play football. Y’all do realize he had Mississippi State ranked solidly number one in the country at one point for an extended period of time. Y’all do realize he’s one of the very few coaches who left Mississippi State on his own accord as opposed to being fired. He was taking Mississippi State to bowl games yearly, when before he arrived, Mississippi State was the Vandy of the SEC west.

His results at Mississippi State, combined with his stunningly good first year at Florida, shouts that Mullen is an elite coach.
No question.

jakez4ut

Patience... It's what's for dinner
It's always fascinated me, not just with him or with VN, I know it happens everywhere, but how some seem to care more about being right than anything, even if it means something bad for them. As long as they are right.

Another one of "those things" that happens irl but on here more often. I don't hate Mullen and I don't think he sucks, there were just others I wanted more than him. And Im not wrong, yet.
which, as we all know, is the most important thing.

West Vol

Y’all do realize that Mullen is the greatest coach in the history of Mississippi State football, right? Y’all do realize he made that sooped-up High School stadium one of the toughest places in America to play football. Y’all do realize he had Mississippi State ranked solidly number one in the country at one point for an extended period of time. Y’all do realize he’s one of the very few coaches who left Mississippi State on his own accord as opposed to being fired. He was taking Mississippi State to bowl games yearly, when before he arrived, Mississippi State was the Vandy of the SEC west.

His results at Mississippi State, combined with his stunningly good first year at Florida, shouts that Mullen is an elite coach.
You are about to be extremely disappointed if you think you have another Steve Spurrier or Urban Meyer.

jakez4ut

Patience... It's what's for dinner
You are about to be extremely disappointed if you think you have another Steve Spurrier or Urban Meyer.
agreed.

there's nothing about mullen that scares me long term. may get the better of us this year. but i have a suspicion the days of Florida just showing up and getting a w are coming to close. i expect this series to start being a lot more back and forth, if not starting to lean our way soonish....hopefully.......pretty please with a cherry on top.

Jaws

Except that Mullen’s first year at UF netted more wins than Spurrier or Meyer’s first years, and neither of those guys inherited 4-7 dumpster fires. There’s reason for optimism.

Jaws

agreed.

there's nothing about mullen that scares me long term. may get the better of us this year. but i have a suspicion the days of Florida just showing up and getting a w are coming to close. i expect this series to start being a lot more back and forth, if not starting to lean our way soonish....hopefully.......pretty please with a cherry on top.
I’d be fine with UF and UT deciding the East every year, while pushing Georgia back to mediocrity. Here’s to UF and UT beating UGa THIS year.

papatomany

based on articles, the 2019 recruiting class is a dumpster fire. and he has decided to pick a fight with Georgia in the media..........sounds like a young Kiffin / Butch hybrid.
I don't disagree with your overall assessment, but... "A young Kiffin/ Butch hybrid"? An odd thought, only because he's older than Kiffin and only four years younger than Butch.

(And, for the record, I'm not even remotely surprised by any of this. Was never on the Mullen bandwagon.)

jackieaprilesr

leave the gun, take the cannoli
I don't disagree with your overall assessment, but... "A young Kiffin/ Butch hybrid"? An odd thought, only because he's older than Kiffin and only four years younger than Butch.

(And, for the record, I'm not even remotely surprised by any of this. Was never on the Mullen bandwagon.)
referring to a 2009 kiffin............not that mullen is younger than kiffin

VN Store

Sponsors