Dan Majerle Fired at GCU

I’m sure coaches are eagerly awaiting the phone call from the GCU president who fired Thunder Dan because of 1 bad season, all while the entire sporting world is shutdown because of the coronavirus. What a terrible look.

Absolutely agree. This is a really bad look and he’ll be scrambling to find a replace that’s as good as coach was let alone better.

Jerry Colangelo is more than just an advisor there. He’s not firing Dan unless he’s got something lined up.

GCU has money and a good fan following so it's not like they can't make a decent hire. Just wonder if we know the full story. Firing a local legend is odd under these known circumstances

Reactions: BUBear
GCU has money and a good fan following so it's not like they can't make a decent hire. Just wonder if we know the full story. Firing a local legend is odd under these known circumstances
I agree with huff. Not sure how to feel right now

From ESPN:
Former Louisville head coach Rick Pitino is among the names that have been linked to this job over the past few weeks, along with Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett, Pacific's Damon Stoudamire, former Vanderbilt head coach Bryce Drew and former Nebraska coach Tim Miles.

Pitino or Bennett would be an upgrade.

7 years, no tourney. With that money and following the results weren't there*.

*JMO about why perhaps, I think he did a good job and will land another job sooner rather than later.

With all conference tournaments and the NCAA tourny cancelled, there's not expected to be a lot of coaching moves this year. Unless someone is retiring or just did utterly horrible, or unless there's a team with an interem coach and they are looking for a permanent person, a lot of coaches for better or worse are probably staying right where they are.

Reactions: sport3500
I loved that 92/93 Suns team . Thunder Dan could definitely shoot it. I was bummed when Paxton hit that 3 in game 6.

Watching Majerle try to defend Jordan is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. He looked like he was on roller skates. The Suns had nobody to slow Jordan down. They were putting 6' KJ on him. The Suns were the better all around team but their greatest weakness just mismatched perfectly with the Bulls greatest strength.

Watching Majerle try to defend Jordan is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. He looked like he was on roller skates. The Suns had nobody to slow Jordan down. They were putting 6' KJ on him. The Suns were the better all around team but their greatest weakness just mismatched perfectly with the Bulls greatest strength.
Haha. Dan Majerle got the Kiss of Death because Jordan thought Jerry Krause was impressed by him.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Haha. Dan Majerle got the Kiss of Death because Jordan thought Jerry Krause was impressed by him.

This blows me a way, but a podcast I listened to revisited that '93 series and they said that the Suns did not run a single pick n roll. They had one of the greatest assist men in history (KJ), one of the best scoring PF's in history, and shooters to spread out the D and Westphal didn't have it in the playbook. WTF. Basketball was a caveman sport back then.

This blows me a way, but a podcast I listened to revisited that '93 series and they said that the Suns did not run a single pick n roll. They had one of the greatest assist men in history (KJ), one of the best scoring PF's in history, and shooters to spread out the D and Westphal didn't have it in the playbook. WTF. Basketball was a caveman sport back then.
Not only was it a caveman sport in how it was played on the court but it was really immature as a business too. The NBA is far less mature, even still today, as a business than other leagues like the NFL or MLB. You can see it in things like the growth rates in ratings/TV contracts and growth rates in valuations of the teams - it's faster growth because it still isn't as mature as those leagues.

If memory serves, as recently as the mid 1980s some NBA playoff games were broadcast on tape delay. That's like the AFC Championship game or NLCS being broadcast on a tape delay in 1985...it's hard to believe. The NBA as a business still has more room to grow and mature relative to the other major leagues...it didn't really become a "thing" a national audience paid attention to until the 80s. The Lakers/Celtics, Bird/Magic rivalry built the game in a lot of ways, then Jordan exploded it.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Not only was it a caveman sport in how it was played on the court but it was really immature as a business too. The NBA is far less mature, even still today, as a business than other leagues like the NFL or MLB. You can see it in things like the growth rates in ratings/TV contracts and growth rates in valuations of the teams - it's faster growth because it still isn't as mature as those leagues.

If memory serves, as recently as the mid 1980s some NBA playoff games were broadcast on tape delay. That's like the AFC Championship game or NLCS being broadcast on a tape delay in 1985...it's hard to believe. The NBA as a business still has more room to grow and mature relative to the other major leagues...it didn't really become a "thing" a national audience paid attention to until the 80s. The Lakers/Celtics, Bird/Magic rivalry built the game in a lot of ways, then Jordan exploded it.

The international angle is really the opportunity for growth for the NBA. The China/Hong Kong thing was a really big blow. Salary cap is going to go down because of it (and probably because of the pandemic, too).

That’s insanity. I’ve never heard that. I don’t recall anyone ever referring to Westphal as the best coach in the world . If I remember correctly it seemed like every series the Suns had was a pressure cooker, getting down 0-2 to the Lakers, the Spurs were tough, the Sonics went 7, and the Bulls easily could’ve gone 7. I liked PW, but it always felt like he was overmatched X’s and O’s wise.

That’s insanity. I’ve never heard that. I don’t recall anyone ever referring to Westphal as the best coach in the world . If I remember correctly it seemed like every series the Suns had was a pressure cooker, getting down 0-2 to the Lakers, the Spurs were tough, the Sonics went 7, and the Bulls easily could’ve gone 7. I liked PW, but it always felt like he was overmatched X’s and O’s wise.

The podcasters (Russillo and Simmons) were saying KJ was just terrible in this series, but he had 3 very good perimeter defenders giving him trouble (Armstrong, Jordan, and Pippen), so running a PnR would have freed him up.

VN Store

Back