DAN CAMPBELL: "It's going to be a long time before Hooker competes for starting job."

I think what they are doing with HH is absolutely great. He is going to be given all the time he needs to heal. HH will have time to learn the playbook and understand the offense without any pressure to produce. I hate it when I see a rookie QB get thrown to the wolves in his first year and it ruins a career. The Lions will be taking the opposite approach here and I hope it sets HH up for a hall of fame worthy run.

Dan Campbell: 'It's Going To Be A Long Time' Before Hendon Hooker Competes For Lions Starting QB Job

HH will probably have the upcoming season to rehab and learn the playbook and then compete for the starting job in 2024.

The Lions are looking out for Hendon and setting him up for success. Although it’s much later than I thought he should’ve gone, it’s cool to see the landing in Motor City. It didn’t hurt that GM Brad Holmes played at NC A&T with Alan Hooker and is also from the Greensboro area. After what Hooker did helping to relaunch the program, giving his all taking down FL & AL, going undefeated at Neyland, number #1 rated offense, etc - I’m his biggest fan for continued success at the next level.
This is all certainly astutely pointed out TMan and absolutely true……but to me it comes down to this. JGoff will be on his "big money trial" this season, especially early on to see if the Lions want to sign him up for a career making contract beginning in '24 which would essentially allow him to finish his career in the Motor City. And Hendon has Fall camp, plus scrimmage/practice time to impress Holmes/Campbell enough to gain their trust going forward. If Goff balls out, Hook could be "stuck" into a perennial back-up role. Now obviously I am getting way ahead here, but I just want to see HH get a legit shot to see if he can play at the next level. If Goff is playing poorly (very unlikely with the new cast assembled now and BenJohns at the helm calling plays for his success) or if JG gets any injury I hope it comes about halfway thru the year so Hooker can get his legs under him in their system before having to play. They still might insert a back-up in before HH anyway so who knows. All I know is that if JG balls out, H's shot to show his stuff diminishes largely.

Reactions: TennesseeZep
I honestly believe that HH will do really well in the NFL.

He will work his (_)_) off to learn as much as he can as fast as he can from all the coaches and watching as much film as he can too.

Then he'll take what he learns and show that he really knows it on the field.

HH won't take anything for granted and he'll never let up on himself and he'll prove that he's the future QB#1 by the time his 2nd training camp begins just a little over a year from now.

J.Goff better work hard and produce because Hendon Hooker IS COMING for his starting job!!!

My $$$ is on HH!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Injuries can flip the whole schedule in a single snap. Hope he heals fully and is ready to step in if the need arises. He has earned his shot whenever it comes and I want to see a bunch of other teams (especially you Titans) explaining to your fanbase how you passed on this man on multiple opportunities

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I’ve followed the nfl for 4 decades. In that 4 decades the Lions have sucked year after year. They wasted Barry Sanders, who is the greatest running back of all time, and have made idiot decision after idiot decision.

Somehow, for the last few years they are supposedly making good decisions now but when you have sucked for this long I’m in wait and see mode.

Reactions: Dansky
I’ve followed the nfl for 4 decades. In that 4 decades the Lions have sucked year after year. They wasted Barry Sanders, who is the greatest running back of all time, and have made idiot decision after idiot decision.

Somehow, for the last few years they are supposedly making good decisions now but when you have sucked for this long I’m in wait and see mode.

Man Neo its hard to dispute your facts…. But the Lions have almost never had an owner, GM, and coach in alignment - and actually performing well in a way that has the league noticing them. They are definitely my new team to follow since the Titans are looking tone deaf over in Music City for a few years, and with all the Vols on the roster.

I think what they are doing with HH is absolutely great. He is going to be given all the time he needs to heal. HH will have time to learn the playbook and understand the offense without any pressure to produce. I hate it when I see a rookie QB get thrown to the wolves in his first year and it ruins a career. The Lions will be taking the opposite approach here and I hope it sets HH up for a hall of fame worthy run.

Dan Campbell: 'It's Going To Be A Long Time' Before Hendon Hooker Competes For Lions Starting QB Job
Hall of Fame? Really dude?

Spent time with some Lions fans at the ranger game last week while Detroit was in town. The are all ok with Hendon if he stared week 1. He’s not a rookie in their eyes at 25/26 he’s ready to go

They owe Goff a crazy amount of money and he was serviceable last season. Hendon needs to recover completely, which gives him time to learn the system and prepare him to play when necessary. The NFL is littered with players who weren’t ready as rookies and were forced into playing time. It’s a confidence killer and usually equates to bad performances and coaching changes. When new coaching staffs come in they prefer to start fresh and that top draft pick is traded or cut.

Goff had a good year last year and had several good seasons with the Rams. HH needs to build his knee back up and learn how to be a pro.

Lions are handling this the right way, which is not something they've done in the past...

VN Store

Back