Da Reds thread

Six straight now but last night the pitching staff (for both teams actually) sucked outside of David Hernandez. We were lucky to get that big lead during the game. Derek Dietrich probably has the most usual stat line of the night: 0 for 1 but 4 runs scored. Got HBP 3 times and scored all 3 times, then walked and scored when Puig homered. Also Jose Iglesias continues his great play with the bat going 4 for 5, 2 runs scored, and 2 RBI.

Reactions: buryMEinORANGE
Good stuff, Burhead. I read The Athletic and a lot of fan posts across the central division are giving much respect to this team. They are getting legitimately nervous that the worm has turned in Cincy. Add Scooter and Wood and let's see what happens. Make a trade deadline deal to improve if things are getting interesting. I still hope they sign Iglesias to a good deal.

Nick is such a sensational baseball player. Out there with a stitched up eye and a roughed up knee from the throw on the steal - still follows with a HR in his next AB. The word for him is catalyst - a winner.

Hernandez was clutch. Dietrich just irritates other teams to death. Love having a guy like him playing for the good guys. He's got the elbow pad on for a reason and has it down to a science. Nothing the umps can do. All he has to do is slightly turn back away from the pitch and that is an attempt to evade because he has the elbow outside of the plane of home plate. All I've got to tell the opponents is If you go high inside you just put him on base.

The Reds site posted that Casali was going to truly split the catching duties now. About time. I think they knew before the season started they would do this if they did not get Realmuto. I wonder who they are now targeting as a "controllable hitter"?

Sounds like a good debut for Lodolo. Have not followed Cox, thanks for the info. I will start paying more attention now.

Good stuff, Burhead. I read The Athletic and a lot of fan posts across the central division are giving much respect to this team. They are getting legitimately nervous that the worm has turned in Cincy. Add Scooter and Wood and let's see what happens. Make a trade deadline deal to improve if things are getting interesting. I still hope they sign Iglesias to a good deal.

Nick is such a sensational baseball player. Out there with a stitched up eye and a roughed up knee from the throw on the steal - still follows with a HR in his next AB. The word for him is catalyst - a winner.

Hernandez was clutch. Dietrich just irritates other teams to death. Love having a guy like him playing for the good guys. He's got the elbow pad on for a reason and has it down to a science. Nothing the umps can do. All he has to do is slightly turn back away from the pitch and that is an attempt to evade because he has the elbow outside of the plane of home plate. All I've got to tell the opponents is If you go high inside you just put him on base.

The Reds site posted that Casali was going to truly split the catching duties now. About time. I think they knew before the season started they would do this if they did not get Realmuto. I wonder who they are now targeting as a "controllable hitter"?

Sounds like a good debut for Lodolo. Have not followed Cox, thanks for the info. I will start paying more attention now.

Is the Athletic worth it? I've been seriously thinking about getting a sub for it. It will be a big boost for the team when we get Scooter and hopefully Alex back for the 2nd half push for the playoffs. As far as the hitter I have no idea, I wouldn't give up a lot either. I'm with you on Jose as well, at this point I'd offer either a 2 year deal (w/an option for a 3rd) or a flat out 3 year deal for him. His defense has been Gold Glove worthy and he is by far our best consistent hitter which is surprising.

I'm tired of our guys getting hit though this series with the Brewers. Derek was hit twice and Winker once in the first game and last night Suarez got hit in addition to Derek getting hit. They said during the broadcast that Derek tied a MLB record with the most HBP in a game.

Glad to see they are getting those two soon. They need them.

On a different note, what in the world was Bell thinking with the line-up today? I will never understand how your statistically best hitter (Iglesias) through nearly half the season who has good speed is hitting 7th. That's losing an AB by a good hitter every 2-3 games. He's got more hits, more RBI's and 30 less SO's than Votto who is hitting second. Despite his HR today, right now Votto is primarily a singles hitter sneaking up on 20 RBI's by mid-season. Hope that gets better.

What the top of the order should be is pretty obvious. Senzel followed by Iglesias. Iglesias makes good contact and can move the runner. When he gets on he's a good baserunner. When Scooter comes back it will get even more interesting.

Once again, Disco, no. SO's 9 in the first 3 innings. Yet, gives up 8 hits and can't get past the 5th inning. They've coddled and developed him for years now. No out pitch. Once hitters see him once, they figure him out. Kind of a Homer Bailey Disease type thing.

At least it was split.

Per reports Scooter steps out of the dugout onto the field in GABP on Friday. We need him. However, at this point Alex Wood pitching anytime soon is appearing to be a myth.

Just an interesting note - Nick Senzel has 80 less AB's than JV. He has an equal number of HR's and 3 more RBI's. He projects to have more runs scored, hits, and be similar in So's and OBP as a rookie if trends continue. JV needs to get his usual second half surge going.

Per reports Scooter steps out of the dugout onto the field in GABP on Friday. We need him. However, at this point Alex Wood pitching anytime soon is appearing to be a myth.

Just an interesting note - Nick Senzel has 80 less AB's than JV. He has an equal number of HR's and 3 more RBI's. He projects to have more runs scored, hits, and be similar in So's and OBP as a rookie if trends continue. JV needs to get his usual second half surge going.

Going to be starting tonight at 2B glad to have Scooter back he has really become a fan favorite not to mention being a great ball player. I have to wonder if Alex Wood simply doesn't want to pitch in GABP in a contract year, can't believe he is having this many issues. Barnhart when on the 10 day DL with Scooter back meaning we only have Casali as the 1 true catcher on the roster. I wonder if Bell is seriously going to consider giving Farmer a start while Tucker is out?

Going to be starting tonight at 2B glad to have Scooter back he has really become a fan favorite not to mention being a great ball player. I have to wonder if Alex Wood simply doesn't want to pitch in GABP in a contract year, can't believe he is having this many issues. Barnhart when on the 10 day DL with Scooter back meaning we only have Casali as the 1 true catcher on the roster. I wonder if Bell is seriously going to consider giving Farmer a start while Tucker is out?

Looks like the makings for a long weekend if they need Farmer to start. I don't know, but I get the same feeling about Wood. I doubt any team will want him this season for a playoff run. So it looks like he is playing his cards to get some work done in the second half to help his cause in the off season. When Scooter is hitting well, he provides protection in the order for Votto and Suarez. They can't pitch around them as much.

I know Iggy is talented, but I think it may be getting time to put him out there and see what they can get to upgrade the OF and/or SP rotation. Garrett and Lorenzen can tag team the closer role, especially if they are not going to be a playoff team.

Looks like Votto is surging finally. Good to see. Nick keeps being Nick with the key double. Ervin making a case to stay.

Puig is the last guy I'd throw at but I will never agree with issuing warnings to both sides, let the other team get their shot and than issue both clubs warnings.

BS. Both teams warned, Cubs hit Peraza and the only ejection is for David Bell demanding to know why Maples wasn't tossed. I go back to the Pirates rivalry, someone for the Cubs better wear one tomorrow that 3 of our guys hit today.

I never have understood why a HBP outside of the zone extending up from home plate is not an automatic ejection of the pitcher. If the hitter has any part of his body in that zone when the HBP occurs it should be called a strike. They have reviews now, so it would be an easy call. I played the game at the college level and still don't understand why. MLB just yawns and says "Oh well..."

I cannot get fully into this team until they make some deals. I see some good improvement in a few areas, but it's hard to take a team serious that has Duke in the pen. Bell is still learning his job and the team simply refuses to hit for more than 1 or 2 games at a time. Too many lousy D-shifts and just not seeing the focus out of a few guys. Mental lapses in the field and at the plate.

I must have missed why Bell lifted Disco after 6 shut out IP's and only 73 pitches. That was a messy win, but a win nonetheless. Taking 2/3 from the Cubbies is always a good thing.

My day just got better - Duke DFA'd. Finally. Herget to replace. He's pitching better of late. Anybody with a pulse is better than Duke.

Another night of pitching sub and d-shift miscues by Bell. Really don't see what he and the org are trying to accomplish. Take a SP out the night before after 6 IP with 73 pitches and a shut out. Nearly lose the game with bad pen subbing. The next night takes a SP out in the 7th after 103 pitches with a 3-2 lead. Lose the game 8-6 after leaving Hernandez in to take a beating and give up 5 runs in one inning. D-shifts were beyond bizarre. Having 3B Suarez standing nearly at 2B against Grandal leaving the entire left side open was really weird. My observations are telling me these radical type shifts are working less than 50% of the time. Understand shading guys one way or the other based on tendencies. But that's not what he is doing much of the time. Add in he has effectively burned up the pen already.

My day just got better - Duke DFA'd. Finally. Herget to replace. He's pitching better of late. Anybody with a pulse is better than Duke.

Don't know much about Herget but anyone is better than Duke.

Another night of pitching sub and d-shift miscues by Bell. Really don't see what he and the org are trying to accomplish. Take a SP out the night before after 6 IP with 73 pitches and a shut out. Nearly lose the game with bad pen subbing. The next night takes a SP out in the 7th after 103 pitches with a 3-2 lead. Lose the game 8-6 after leaving Hernandez in to take a beating and give up 5 runs in one inning. D-shifts were beyond bizarre. Having 3B Suarez standing nearly at 2B against Grandal leaving the entire left side open was really weird. My observations are telling me these radical type shifts are working less than 50% of the time. Understand shading guys one way or the other based on tendencies. But that's not what he is doing much of the time. Add in he has effectively burned up the pen already.

I just don't get Bell's use of the pitchers sometimes. I mean he is damned if he does or damned if he doesn't (price being a manager) but Mahle should've been pulled earlier and Disco the other night should have been given the chance to go into the 7th...

Now that was an exciting come from behind W with excellent work in the pen. Heads up play by Puig and clutch hitting by Nick, JV, and Iglesias. Nick and Puig can really motor the bases. Suarez is back in beast mode.

Sonny Gray - wow. Shut out for 8 IP with 12 K's. That curve of his was nasty all night, but only gave up one walk. Take that as much as he wants to give it. That 2/3 with Castillo going tomorrow. Would love to take 3/4 from the Brew Crew.

Ace Castillo - another wow. Staff combines for another shut out. Our bats needs to pick up though. Getting 8 hits and only one run is not going to cut it. Got the 3/4. Next up - time to win two and the Ohio Cup.

Can't believe that its July 4th and we're only 3.5 games out of the division lead. The pitching performances the last 2 games have been out of this world by Gray and Castillo.

lol. Maddon got tossed by Joe West last night because Hurdle had his Rats' pitchers doing their usual head hunting against his guys, with the Cubbies winning the game 11-3. Maddon is saying the same things we do about that bunch. He said all of MLB knows how they are and who is at fault (Hurdle), yet nothing gets done to stop it. Yeah, we know Joe, we know.

I think its time to seriously consider signing Puig to an extension. Dude is absolutely smashing the ball as of late: has a 2 run homer and now a double.

VN Store

Back