Da Reds thread

I'd flip him to left field when Scooter gets back and put Winker on the bench. Then if we trade Puig at the deadline we can insert Winker back into the starting line up at right. A starting line up of this has some serious power:

1B - Votto
2B - Gennett
3B - Suarez
SS - Iglesias
LF - Dietrich
CF - Senzel
RF - Puig
C - Barnhart/Casali

Count me in on that. Dietrich should be signed longer term if at all possible. He can play 3 positions very well and has also played 3B. Look how he has handled 1B these games with JV out. Excellent D. Another Zobrist type guy like Senzel could be.

I've had enough of Disco and Lorenzen. Both have talent, but don't have it between the ears. No 'out' pitches as well.

Frick the Pirates and frick Hurdle. I didn't see the game because of work but apparently they hit Suarez. The Reds and Pirates have a history between them and at this point I'm done with them. I hope we bean every one of them every game we play from here on out. Even Bell is pissed, he called out the league and the umps for allowing Pittsburgh to hit guys and basically said that the Pirates do it all the time. He went on to say that if the league doesn't protect our guys than we're going to take matters into our own hands next time we play them. I'm all for it, Bell better wear one next time we play.

Last edited:

I've had issues early with Bell but he nailed it.

Yep - this has been going on far too long. The Rats are the worst and Hurdle is a POS manager. Player safety is at risk and all of these teams have too much invested in them. MLB can expect a war from this point on and it will be their fault. Fine the organization, then suspend Hurdle and the pitchers - it will stop. Suspend the umps without pay if they don't do their jobs as well. I still remember when Watson intentionally hit BP and cost him some games. He was on pace for MVP that season and could not hit a lick after that forearm injury.

Proud of Bell. Time for some push back.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Yep - this has been going on far too long. The Rats are the worst and Hurdle is a POS manager. Player safety is at risk and all of these teams have too much invested in them. MLB can expect a war from this point on and it will be their fault. Fine the organization, then suspend Hurdle and the pitchers - it will stop. Suspend the umps without pay if they don't do their jobs as well. I still remember when Watson intentionally hit BP and cost him some games. He was on pace for MVP that season and could not hit a lick after that forearm injury.

Proud of Bell. Time for some push back.

Plus it was a Pirates pitcher that broke Suarez hand last year. The July 29th game against them should have plenty of fireworks though. I'm not advocating throwing at someone's head but there has to be some payback by the Reds or this crap will go on.

Plus it was a Pirates pitcher that broke Suarez hand last year. The July 29th game against them should have plenty of fireworks though. I'm not advocating throwing at someone's head but there has to be some payback by the Reds or this crap will go on.

Typical Hurdle targeting. He knows Geno can do serious damage.

Will be curious to see the crew that works that series. MLB will probably give them orders on how to handle things. Will see what Bell does in response. Castillo has a lot action and heat on his fast ball. He might be wild one of those nights. Roark will mix it up with anybody. I'm just glad to see a manager with a real backbone. Also loved how Senzel let the home plate ump know in two games in that series that he wasn't going to meekly accept getting bad calls. Seeing some fire in the guys.

Well the draft is tonight but some minor league moves: Alex Blandino has been sent on a rehab assignment to Louisville. Also ex-Vol Andy Cox has been promoted to AA Chattanooga. Started the season in Dayton and went 6.60 ERA in 11 games. Since getting promoted to Daytona he has really turned things around: 1 win, 3 saves, 8 IP, 7 hits, no runs, 4 BB, 16 SO.

We did in fact take Lodolo and I'm pleased with it. Seems to be the "safest" pitching prospect & he is a lefty to boot. On the MLB Network coverage they think he is a middle of the rotation guy.

I like this pick. Could be a quick riser through the system. Now that DJ is ruling the roost I expect more of the young guns to be better prepared as they move up through the org.

#85 pick FL HS Callihan signed above slot value to entice him away from his USCe commitment. He projected low first, CB, or early second round - so there is great value and high likelihood he will make it in the bigs. Orgs knew he needs some development and probably thought he would choose to go to the Gamecocks. Been tracking this player and am excited for his future. Another 6'1, 200 lbs. athlete who can really hit. Been at 3B, but projects elsewhere. He's nearly 19, so he's a step ahead in maturity.

Reds site promoting Disco as being on yesterday. Wrong. Giving up 6 hits and 3 SB's in 5 IP is not on even if he had 7 K's. They were lucky to get out of jams or it would have lights out, especially in the 4th. Of course, Lorenzen made sure they couldn't win, though hitting was pathetic. I hope Disco/Lorenzen are shopped by the FO. Seen enough.

#85 pick FL HS Callihan signed above slot value to entice him away from his USCe commitment. He projected low first, CB, or early second round - so there is great value and high likelihood he will make it in the bigs. Orgs knew he needs some development and probably thought he would choose to go to the Gamecocks. Been tracking this player and am excited for his future. Another 6'1, 200 lbs. athlete who can really hit. Been at 3B, but projects elsewhere. He's nearly 19, so he's a step ahead in maturity.

Reds site promoting Disco as being on yesterday. Wrong. Giving up 6 hits and 3 SB's in 5 IP is not on even if he had 7 K's. They were lucky to get out of jams or it would have lights out, especially in the 4th. Of course, Lorenzen made sure they couldn't win, though hitting was pathetic. I hope Disco/Lorenzen are shopped by the FO. Seen enough.

It seems like a lot of “experts” like our draft. I’m eager to see how they progress. We really went heavy on the college pitchers instead of HS arms.

It seems like a lot of “experts” like our draft. I’m eager to see how they progress. We really went heavy on the college pitchers instead of HS arms.

I think DJ likes having college kids with upside due to his Vandy days. A bit more mature than the HS kids, Generally listen better and work harder.

Nice pitching and comeback today. The team is just better when Senzel is on the field. Will make the day off more pleasant as they head into Cleveland.

Lodolo officially signed today. Also a pretty good article on the Reds site about how they discovered and signed Votto:

The crazy story of how the Reds found Votto

Also going to be interesting to see where they start Nick this year. He has a lot more development and innings pitched than most picks. I'm kinda hoping they bypass Billings/rookie ball and maybe give him a few starts in Dayton before shutting hm down for the year.

Lodolo officially signed today. Also a pretty good article on the Reds site about how they discovered and signed Votto:

The crazy story of how the Reds found Votto

Also going to be interesting to see where they start Nick this year. He has a lot more development and innings pitched than most picks. I'm kinda hoping they bypass Billings/rookie ball and maybe give him a few starts in Dayton before shutting hm down for the year.

Agree. Rookie ball would be pointless IMO.

Mahle calling out Bell for the quick hook. Roark's had the same remarks recently. Sparky had nothing on Bell. Bell's setting records for early hooks.

So we muddle around with the mediocre and lose 2 out of 3. Play one of the best in the Astros and win the first 2 by one run with quality pitching. This team proves they are capable if they can get their offensive act together as they have now done it with the Cubs and the Astros. Seems to me the roster will be defined by the ASG break with Scooter back in it and Wood starting a game or two. The trade deadline deals are going to be interesting unless the FO stays content to just be a .500 team.

5 W's in a row against the better teams is very encouraging. All of it without Scooter or Wood. Let's keep this going. Iglesias and Dietrich off-season signings continue to be home runs. Nick keeps showing how legit he is. So proud of the local guy making it big.

I guess they chose to do the traditional route to start his career. I hope they don't slow walk him through the farm, but understand somewhat since he has pitched a lot of innings at TCU this year before arriving.

Pitched 1 inning and got 2 ks.

5 W's in a row against the better teams is very encouraging. All of it without Scooter or Wood. Let's keep this going. Iglesias and Dietrich off-season signings continue to be home runs. Nick keeps showing how legit he is. So proud of the local guy making it big.

Longest winning streak this season, I still think we can make a serious push for the wildcard during the 2nd half of the season. I forgot where I saw it but they mentioned the Reds may actually be buyers at the trade deadline and may look to add another hitter. Also former Vol Andy Cox is still going strong in our farm system too. Hasn't given up a run since May 2nd (18.1 IP), 9 hits, 30 Ks, 9 BBs, and picked up 5 saves.

VN Store

Back