Da Reds thread

OK - they are 10% into the season. Bell's analytics experimentation is not working on the line-up. Casali and Votto lead off in consecutive games and the hitting is still anemic. It will continue that way since that is not what they do. Other than an occasional hiccup, DJ has the pitching staff doing much better. Sometimes you have to depend on your hitters to win games. Not this bunch so far, which is surprising. They will probably all get hot at the same time and go on a win streak though.

It is clear that Senzel, Ervin and Scooter need to be playing everyday and none are. Senzel is back from injury playing CF and getting experience under the lights at Louisville. Scooter is a month out probably. Ervin is just waiting around for the FO to wake up as usual. Kemp needs moved at some point as we expected. Votto is not hitting yet, but his OBP gets him in position to score runs - albeit very slowly. His D has been better so far. Suarez seems to slowly be finding his stroke. Winker was going to take time due to the shoulder recovery, but has some clutch hits. Peraza is way off. He needs to be hitting LO or #2, not 6 or 7 to get out of his slump and stop thinking too much since he has been moved to 2B where he is uncomfortable. When Scooter comes back he may need to sit and let Iglesius handle it for awhile. Jay Bruce version 2.0 (Scheb), needs to be sent down and get his mind right or traded. Three seasons of feast and famine is enough when he refuses to go with pitches and swing under control. Farmer needs sent down when Scooter and Senzel are ready. Dietrich has been a huge signing.

With Trammel on the way next season, Scheb is dangling over the cliff. Ideally, he gets his act together because they probably will not sign Puig. Winker needs to play LF, Trammel CF, Scheb (Puig if the do sign) RF and Ervin in the rotation with Senzel going to 2B unless they re-sign Scooter, which I doubt. But if they do, Senzel will be able play any of the OF positions well along with Trammel. The OF D, contact hitting, and base running improve strongly with those changes. But that's a year out if the FO or injuries don't muck it up by then.

Everything I've seen that Trammell is more a left fielder than a true center fielder. During his time in the minors he has amassed 181 starts there vs 85 at CF. I think we better hope Senzel develops into our CFer. I still hope that we can re-sign Scooter to like a 3 year deal with possibly an option 4th year and I still want to hang onto Puig if he doesn't want outrageous money. I was really hoping that Peraza would sustain his offensive improvement he had last year into this year but it hasn't translated yet. I'm with you, I want Kemp gone like yesterday dude is trash. I also think this could be Scheb's last year in Cincy too.

We are on the same page. I really don't know what Bell is doing with the line-up/hitting approach. Votto leading off again. This is bizarre. Gray has a solid outing today and the pen shut it down the rest of the way. Our anemic offense with a big 3 hits going today and they came from the 3 starters who were not on the team last season.

I would love to keep Scooter if he has a decent return and they can make a reasonable deal. He's the heartbeat of the team. Winker prefers RF if they trust his arm, which has been mediocre at best. If they continue giving Trammel starts in CF it would allow them to sub him in for Senzel as needed. I would love to re-sign Puig as well, just would be surprised if it happens with the bigger deals they've already done. Maybe they will.

Kemp can take Duke and his 10+ ERA with him.

Just curious what Homer's doing for Kansas City and was surprised in 4 starts: 2 wins & 1 loss - 4.30 ERA - 23 IP - 27 SO vs 7 BB.

Homer benefitted from leaving as did the Reds. Win-win. We now have the third best ERA in the NL and 6th best overall at 3.23. Now if they can make positive movement in scoring runs - they have a shot to become good as a team. They are 12th in the NL and 24th overall at that. This whole season has gone the opposite of what I expected. Hope the hitting gets going soon. Without Dietrich this team would have several less wins than they do with really good pitching.

Bell finally put Peraza at LO, which may help him get out of his slump. Don't understand their highest BA hitter in the 8 spot - Barnhart. If you need offense, why hit him where he gets less AB's with guys on? He's a SH at that.

I really hope the ownership/front office see what's happening without Scooter's bat and offer him an extension. I can't wait for him to get back in the lineup and than add Senzel to the outfield with this pitching we're getting.

Just looking at the schedules for both the Bats and Reds I think Nick will play in Louisville from April 23rd to May 5th (13 games). Louisville has an off day on May 6th while the Reds are finishing up a home series with the Giants that day. He could drive up from Indianapolis after the game on the 5th and possibly make his MLB debut at home the next day before the team goes on the road to Oakland.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Gray's night is done after a poor defensive inning: 5.1, 6 H, 4 R/3ER, 9 Ks on 88 pitches.

Now Peraza puts us back on top after an double.

VN Store

Back