D2 Grand Valley sidelines new OC after Hitler remarks

giphy.gif

He said he would have liked to have met a guy who killed tens of millions of people. You are aware of the PR "rule" that you never bring up Hitler, and if he does come up in conversation you never say anything good about him, right?

Hitler was perhaps the greatest demagogue of all time. He "gathered the following of a nation" by appealing to anti-Semitism and racism, then murdered and jailed political opponents.

I fully understand (not understand but know about) today’s PC culture. Yes, because of the closed mindedness of the PC culture he shouldn’t have said what he said but in reality nothing he said was bad.

I fully understand (not understand but know about) today’s PC culture. Yes, because of the closed mindedness of the PC culture he shouldn’t have said what he said but in reality nothing he said was bad.
Refraining from saying good things about Hitler has been a thing since WWII.

All the guy was talking about was his leadership and I think it’s beyond argument that there was a certain amount of genius in his rise to power. There have been 1000s of terrible people that have risen to positions of great power, should we ignore and not learn from them because of how bad they were?

Reactions: vols4evah
All the guy was talking about was his leadership and I think it’s beyond argument that there was a certain amount of genius in his rise to power. There have been 1000s of terrible people that have risen to positions of great power, should we ignore and not learn from them because of how bad they were?

Absolutely not, but you don't quote them as someone you would like to meet. That is just common sense

You are more than welcome to read the Nuremberg Laws which were instituted long before WWII started. You are also welcome to read about the fees that were implemented on anyone who tried to leave the country. The Saar Valley which held a lot of valuable raw materials was annexed before the war. Forced labor started well before WWII and individuals were given the illusion of employment by working in military rearmament factories. It wasn't Hitler who physically ruined Germany?! So when he stated that Germany deserved to be destroyed because he had slaughtered every able bodied German man and could no longer achieve military victory that wasn't really his fault? Nonsense
The population devastation was honestly not an argument I thought about. At least beyond the 50 million he killed off his own self.

The annexitations were pretty much always German lands before the end of WWI. There is a reason the US didnt sign the mess of treaty of Versailles.

The Nuremberg laws didnt see their first case in court until 1936. And the again this fails on a basic economic level to say it helped. The Jews were part of Germany. Moving business from Jews to non Jews isnt a net gain. The nationalization, which hit more than the Jews, is where the Government started to help itself.
Building a military is definitely a real improvement to a flailing economy. It certainly helped us.

He had to lead all of these changes, especially the bad ones. He got results, the ends dont justify the means, and no one has argued that, including the coach. We can just separate the facts of Hitler being terrible from any discussion of the improvements to Germany that happened at the time. People just keep trying to conflate two issues so they dont have to challenge themselves.

Those that ignore their past are doomed to repeat it.

You cant act like literally everything Hitler did was a complete failure 100% of the time. Otherwise you are going to fail to recognize future evil because of any little good it does.

Reactions: hog88

You cant act like literally everything Hitler did was a complete failure 100% of the time. Otherwise you are going to fail to recognize future evil because of any little good it does.
When did I say that? Unfortunately, not everything he did failed. I mean ultimately he was defeated in the end, but some of the things he tried to pull off along the way he was able to do.

This is a pretty good point. Germany started working on the Autobahn system during Hitler's early years. Why? To move troops. Really not so much for the general public. Eisenhower was so impressed that he started the "defense highway system" here, that many mistake as the "interstate" system. :eek: Caveat: No slave labor was used in creating Eisenhower's system.

Reactions: tbh
I read another interview with the OC Berger and he gave a good interview about his offensive philosophy:
(sorry it wouldn’t let me copy and paste)

Reporter: Coach tell me about your offense and what we can expect to see.

Berger (Ironically): Well the offense I’m bringing here will be very difficult to stop. We expect to see multiple fronts to try and stop us. However, I think I’ve found the final solution for those conniving defenses that have given us problems in the past. We’re not going to allow them to just nickel and dime us all game to keep us from getting big yards at once. You know, like they like to do. Not anymore. We’re going to be effective both in the air and on the ground.

Reporter: How do you plan to do so ?

Berger: We are going to have a scheme that will have some Air Raid principles that we will call our Luftwaffe package. What we want to do is overload one side and isolate one of their corners, so that he’s on an island. When the quarterback comes to the line he will recognize the isolated corner the way he recognizes the middle linebacker. Instead of saying “27’s the mike” he’ll say “23’s the Churchill” so everyone knows that‘s the corner on the island and then we will attack that corner relentlessly.

Reporter: That sounds similar to what Notre Dame tried back in the 90’s when they brought in Ron Powlus to lead the Irish...

Berger: Ummm no. In fact hell no. We are not bringing in a Ron Powlus type. Whatever the opposite of Ron Powlus is is what we want

Reporter: Ok then.. Moving on, tell us about your ground game

Berger: We really like the idea of having a dual threat QB when facing multiple fronts. So mixing in a little bit of the Pistol out of a 21 set that we call our Luger Package is how we plan on utilizing an uptempo ground attack. We think the combo of our Luftwaffe and Luger packages will really be tough to stop.

Reporter: That sounds very similar to the kind of offense that Kaepernick ran when he was at Nevada.

Berger: That’s it. This interview is over .. I’m done here

I read another interview with the OC Berger and he gave a good interview about his offensive philosophy:
(sorry it wouldn’t let me copy and paste)

Reporter: Coach tell me about your offense and what we can expect to see.

Berger (Ironically): Well the offense I’m bringing here will be very difficult to stop. We expect to see multiple fronts to try and stop us. However, I think I’ve found the final solution for those conniving defenses that have given us problems in the past. We’re not going to allow them to just nickel and dime us all game to keep us from getting big yards at once. You know, like they like to do. Not anymore. We’re going to be effective both in the air and on the ground.

Reporter: How do you plan to do so ?

Berger: We are going to have a scheme that will have some Air Raid principles that we will call our Luftwaffe package. What we want to do is overload one side and isolate one of their corners, so that he’s on an island. When the quarterback comes to the line he will recognize the isolated corner the way he recognizes the middle linebacker. Instead of saying “27’s the mike” he’ll say “23’s the Churchill” so everyone knows that‘s the corner on the island and then we will attack that corner relentlessly.

Reporter: That sounds similar to what Notre Dame tried back in the 90’s when they brought in Ron Powlus to lead the Irish...

Berger: Ummm no. In fact hell no. We are not bringing in a Ron Powlus type. Whatever the opposite of Ron Powlus is is what we want

Reporter: Ok then.. Moving on, tell us about your ground game

Berger: We really like the idea of having a dual threat QB when facing multiple fronts. So mixing in a little bit of the Pistol out of a 21 set that we call our Luger Package is how we plan on utilizing an uptempo ground attack. We think the combo of our Luftwaffe and Luger packages will really be tough to stop.

Reporter: That sounds very similar to the kind of offense that Kaepernick ran when he was at Nevada.

Berger: That’s it. This interview is over .. I’m done here
Slow day at work? Awesome

On defense, he has to like to blitz a lot, right?

Last edited:
I was wondering how many of the students quoted in the article would be offended by Bernie Sanders taking his honeymoon in the USSR, a far more brutal nation with a much larger death toll than Nazi Germany.

Disappointingly few, Im sure.

This is a pretty good point. Germany started working on the Autobahn system during Hitler's early years. Why? To move troops. Really not so much for the general public. Eisenhower was so impressed that he started the "defense highway system" here, that many mistake as the "interstate" system. :eek: Caveat: No slave labor was used in creating Eisenhower's system.

That is correct, nothing he did was for the people and it's easy to build the illusion of economic success when you have millions of unpaid laborers.

When did I say that? Unfortunately, not everything he did failed. I mean ultimately he was defeated in the end, but some of the things he tried to pull off along the way he was able to do.
And none of it would ever be worth knowing how he did it? To talk first hand?

Not saying it would ever clear Hitler, or make any of it ok. Just that some things could be worth/interesting to know.

That's all I am saying. Could be he just lucked into any real success he had, but that conversation could be interesting over a dinner.

Reactions: hog88
And none of it would ever be worth knowing how he did it? To talk first hand?

Not saying it would ever clear Hitler, or make any of it ok. Just that some things could be worth/interesting to know.

That's all I am saying. Could be he just lucked into any real success he had, but that conversation could be interesting over a dinner.
*Takes bite out of a nice filet*
"So Adolf, how'd you get Germany to hate the Jews and rally around a plan to exterminate them? I mean, you're a terrible person, but want to try and glean any pointers about how you rallied a crowd."

The same number of idiots who quote Mao as a hero of theirs. I teach history, this generation knows very little

You teach history but wouldn’t love the opportunity to talk to one of the most historically important person ever?

VN Store

Back