D1 Baseball Mid Season Report - Biggest Surprise, UT

OldTimer

919 miles
Staff member
snippet from the article......

Certainly NC State and Arizona State are strong contenders for this label as well, but we projected both teams as regional teams heading into the season, and the Wolfpack was not far outside our preseason Top 25. Indiana State and UC Santa Barbara are other strong candidates, but again, both teams were right on the cusp of our preseason field of 64 projections, so we’re not shocked by either team’s success.

Tennessee, on the other hand, wasn’t close to anybody’s preseason field of 64 projections. The Volunteers haven’t made a regional since 2005, and we figured they were still at least a year away, even though I recognized obvious signs of progress under second-year coach Tony Vitello when I saw the Vols in the fall. But in our midseason field of 64 projection this week, Tennessee is comfortably in the field as a No. 2 seed. There’s still a long way to go, and the SEC is a meat grinder, but so far, so good for the Vols. At 22-8 overall and No. 9 in the RPI, Tennessee is in good position right now, though it can’t afford to stumble much in conference play because it is just 3-6 in the league at the moment.

But Tennessee made a major splash in the first month, racing out to a 15-0 start and breaking into the D1Baseball Top 25 after winning quality series against Indiana (a sweep) and Fresno State. UT also won a home series against South Carolina, though it dropped both of its tough SEC road series against ranked opponents Auburn and Vanderbilt.

Tennessee’s calling card is its outstanding pitching, which ranks 11th in the nation in ERA (2.91), second in WHIP (1.07) and fifth in strikeout-to-walk ratio (3.58) under the direction of pitching coach Frank Anderson. Zach Linginfelter, Garrett Stallings, Garrett Crochet and Andrew Schultz have all taken big jumps forward, giving the Vols a quartet of premium arms to build around. Offensively, juniors Luc Lipcius, Ricky Martinez and Justin Ammons are among the SEC’s most improved players, and juco transfer Alerick Soularie has made a massive impact, leading the team with a .383 average and a 1.191 OPS.

I’m curious what the committee would do with a 13 or 14 win UT team. There was talk last year about at large teams needing to be .500 or better in conference.

Obviously I think that’s a disadvantage to SEC teams that play in this meat grinder of a conference.

I’m curious what the committee would do with a 13 or 14 win UT team. There was talk last year about at large teams needing to be .500 or better in conference.

Obviously I think that’s a disadvantage to SEC teams that play in this meat grinder of a conference.

IMO a 14 win SEC team is left out.

We may find out since we are most likely not getting to 15.

How much do they weigh RPI? If we have 13-14 wins our RPI would remain pretty high I would think.

But as Gilbert mentioned, would need a decent showing in the tourney.

How much do they weigh RPI? If we have 13-14 wins our RPI would remain pretty high I would think.

its also the amount of SEC teams going, if 9 have 15+ wins a 14 win SEC team isn't going to be the 10th in. I agree with Gilbert, if we have 14 and win 3-4 in Hoover, our RPI could be a top 15 and that would be hard to ignore. One and done in Hoover would kill us unless we had 15+ wins.

Reactions: NorCalVol67
its also the amount of SEC teams going, if 9 have 15+ wins a 14 win SEC team isn't going to be the 10th in. I agree with Gilbert, if we have 14 and win 3-4 in Hoover, our RPI could be a top 15 and that would be hard to ignore. One and done in Hoover would kill us unless we had 15+ wins.

I just had an idea. Why don’t we just start winning series. Sounds easy enough.

They say the look at the entire body of work. The sweep of Indiana was enormous. 13 or 14 SEC wins will definitely get them in. You’re correct it would be a top 20 RPI.

Before the season started, after years of being down, I said to myself I’d be happy if we’d make it to the second day of the SEC tournament, and anything after that was pure gravy. I’m more optimistic at this point that gravy may be coming.

Reactions: RollerVol and vol66
snippet from the article......

Certainly NC State and Arizona State are strong contenders for this label as well, but we projected both teams as regional teams heading into the season, and the Wolfpack was not far outside our preseason Top 25. Indiana State and UC Santa Barbara are other strong candidates, but again, both teams were right on the cusp of our preseason field of 64 projections, so we’re not shocked by either team’s success.

Tennessee, on the other hand, wasn’t close to anybody’s preseason field of 64 projections. The Volunteers haven’t made a regional since 2005, and we figured they were still at least a year away, even though I recognized obvious signs of progress under second-year coach Tony Vitello when I saw the Vols in the fall. But in our midseason field of 64 projection this week, Tennessee is comfortably in the field as a No. 2 seed. There’s still a long way to go, and the SEC is a meat grinder, but so far, so good for the Vols. At 22-8 overall and No. 9 in the RPI, Tennessee is in good position right now, though it can’t afford to stumble much in conference play because it is just 3-6 in the league at the moment.

But Tennessee made a major splash in the first month, racing out to a 15-0 start and breaking into the D1Baseball Top 25 after winning quality series against Indiana (a sweep) and Fresno State. UT also won a home series against South Carolina, though it dropped both of its tough SEC road series against ranked opponents Auburn and Vanderbilt.

Tennessee’s calling card is its outstanding pitching, which ranks 11th in the nation in ERA (2.91), second in WHIP (1.07) and fifth in strikeout-to-walk ratio (3.58) under the direction of pitching coach Frank Anderson. Zach Linginfelter, Garrett Stallings, Garrett Crochet and Andrew Schultz have all taken big jumps forward, giving the Vols a quartet of premium arms to build around. Offensively, juniors Luc Lipcius, Ricky Martinez and Justin Ammons are among the SEC’s most improved players, and juco transfer Alerick Soularie has made a massive impact, leading the team with a .383 average and a 1.191 OPS.
Where's the actual article on their site? I'd love to read it
EDIT: Nevermind, I found it and see it's a VIP piece

I would love more than anything to see the 2019 Volunteers make a regional. It's been 14 years now. Way too long. Having Miss. State and Georgia at home, we need to take advantage of those opportunities. GBO!!!

VN Store

Back