Curt Schilling On Tennessee

Unfortunately I agree. I'm sure this is going to start an ageist argument, but here goes.

I don't talk a bunch of crap to rivals before a game. I do believe it gives the other team a bigger edge and more incentive to play better.

We as UT fans have plenty of experience watching our "better" team screw the pooch when we thought we had no business losing. Why give anyone any extra incentive or fuel when winning a championship is hard enough?

ND started the smack talk by saying if I were them, I would be scared. We should've fed off of that but didn't unfortunately

Being liked by your teammate is a whole other issue.
The guy has won it all 3 times at the highest level of baseball. I'd consider his advice.
Sorry it’s just my preference to not listen to the guy. If I’m listening to anyone that’s talking about being arrogant and successful, it’s going to be someone like Madison Bumgarner.

I agree with him! It’s one thing to have fun, but then to act like classless, immature brats constantly gets old and results in exactly what we saw! I know that’s what most don’t want to admit or hear, however think of it as a Bruce Pearl analogy, or if Drew Gilbert were black people would be calling him a thug and complaining often. Wouldn’t it great to find any coach (any sport any level) that has a great personality and teams have fun and get results without the drama and out of control cockiness?!?!

Reactions: SpookyAction
I personally would like the team to show more sportsmanship but I am only watching them play. I watched almost every game and enjoyed every moment. Its up to them how they want to play the game. Making it to Omaha is totally dependent on the placement by the NCAA committee combined with post season performance.

Our guys celebrated to the max when they hit home runs and won games, and it was great fun (for us) watching it all happen....

The teams that were getting smoked by us were waiting to take their verbal shots at us should we falter...Well, we faltered and the insults, as expected, began to rain down on everyone....

It was too grand of a time we all had for months, to worry about some insults from people that mean absolutely nothing to us....

He's right, of course. Not only because ND (and every other team) had extra motivation to rub our noses in it and see us brought crashing down. He's also right because our behavior on the field led directly to us not having our pitching coach for the last game. If not for that, maybe we don't leave Burns in there too long. Also, and I realize this is a foreign concept to some younger folks, but sports is about sportsmanship as much as it is about winning. Your not always gonna win, but you can still play the game with class and get a lot out of it.

I know...old-fashioned notions.

So you don’t think coach Anderson has a mobile phone.

Reactions: feathersax
I get not taking business advice from him. He does however have 3 World Series championship rings. I'd at least consider his opinion.
Schilling talked as much s#$t as anyone when he played. Pot meet kettle.

There’s a fine line between having fun & getting outta line. Sorry but they crossed it and it showed in their performance. There’s enough pressure in the game as it is, you don’t need to bring on more by outlandish actions. Nothing wrong with some fun, they should have it but some of it got outta hand. Jmo

From what I read, he took himself out of the HOF.

He did. He’s been denied for several years ( should have been voted in at least 3rd or 4th year of eligibility) to the point he realized the media will never vote him in for his political beliefs. He’ll take his chance with the Veterans Committee. He’s clearly deserving.

He's 100% correct.

Love the Vols, but they often reminded me of Barry Bonds and his teams, except we couldn't walk the walk.

Anderson, Gilbert, and Beck got us to the brink, but then 2 of them bailed, couldn't walk the walk (disappointingly).

P.S. - TV also blinked, with his poor pitching management in crunch time.

Hind sight is 20/20.

Don’t s:
Flip off people. Didn’t impact the outcome of any game.

Throwing Fbombs at the Ump getting yourself and the pitching coach throw out for multiple games.

Leaving pitchers in too long.

Other than that, repeat next year and see how it turns out.

Hey Curt, next why don't you give us advice on how to lose all your career earnings going into a video game company and royally screwing over others in the process? I'd love to hear your insight into that too.

And everyone coming out of the woodworks to play the old man yelling at the clouds routine can go pound sand. You didn't say a freakin word when we were kicking everyone's ass and now you come out to play your high horse routine. Get bent.

I'm old enough to recall a certain UT All American linebacker calling the Ole Miss Rebels "a bunch of mules" when asked by a reporter if the Rebs had the horses to beat UT that year, who were ranked #2 or 3 in the nation. That Ole Miss team had a certain HOF quarterback who is the father of Peyton And Eli. And they put the comment about mules on their bulletin board.

Final score - Ole Miss 38, TN 0.

Like it or not, everything Schilling said is correct.

Lol, nice cherry pick. Everyone loves to pull out the examples that prove this right; yet they ignore all the times that the "trash talkers" actually won; which is usually what happens.

Reactions: UTFanHades
Lol, nice cherry pick. Everyone loves to pull out the examples that prove this right; yet they ignore all the times that the "trash talkers" actually won; which is usually what happens.
Eh, it’s an opinion. Did remind me of Jackie Walker though. I loved that guy back when he played. Having a hard time remembering a defensive end, David Campbell. Had to look his name up…
Graduated in ‘74 and coached at our JHS. Dude was a beast, too!

Reactions: StarRaider
Exactly. Those Chicago Bulls teams in the 90s certainly didn't shy away from talking smack and they are idolized to this day.

Yeah, true, but on those occasions when they don't win because they made an opponent irate, it can ruin a great season. That's the point, and that's one reason why I picked that example. Vols were undefeated, 7-0, before that game. They finished the 10 game schedule (which was standard then) 9-1, and went to the Gator Bowl instead of playing for the national championship as an undefeated team. Texas finished as the national championship with an undefeated season.

Keep in mind Schilling wasn't talking about trash talking on the field, which always goes on between players. He's talking about public demonstrations of disrespect that fans and tv viewers can see, like the 20' high bat flips, and raised fingers flung at the opponent.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Hey Curt, next why don't you give us advice on how to lose all your career earnings going into a video game company and royally screwing over others in the process? I'd love to hear your insight into that too.

And everyone coming out of the woodworks to play the old man yelling at the clouds routine can go pound sand. You didn't say a freakin word when we were kicking everyone's ass and now you come out to play your high horse routine. Get bent.

That'd be really good advice if we hadn't made it to Omaha. Oh, wait.................

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back