Current Success Translation to Recruiting

cardvolfan

The Vols are currently in an unprecedented period of success in popularity with their basketball program. The good guys are winning, garnering loads of national press attention, and most importantly, winning. They are fun, exciting, and contributing positively to our community and Tennessee basketball culture. In light of all these things, how is this season going to contribute to the immediate recruiting results of our program? All opinions and projections are valued. Thanks in advance for your response.

Results are important and can fuel recruiting but there are two mitigating factors at play here.

One is that results are important only so far as tournament results are concerned. We can be ranked #1 and that not matter much, if we make it to the final four then that starts to really change the landscape.

Second is that Barnes looks for players that fit his system and many times that seems to involve getting an off the radar player as opposed to a 5 star. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have more legitimate options.

One final thing with a 4 year team like Tennessee, the specific recruiting year matters big. This year we aren't losing much, but next year and the year after if I'm not mistaken will be big recruiting years where having many elite options will undoubtedly pay more.

The Vols are currently in an unprecedented period of success in popularity with their basketball program. The good guys are winning, garnering loads of national press attention, and most importantly, winning. They are fun, exciting, and contributing positively to our community and Tennessee basketball culture. In light of all these things, how is this season going to contribute to the immediate recruiting results of our program? All opinions and projections are valued. Thanks in advance for your response.

We just signed the top 1 or 2 point guards or 2 guards and a top 10 overall prospect, depending on which recruiting service you read. The prospect does seem to fit what Barnes is looking for in his players as well.

Obviously last year helped with Josiah James for 2019, now you look to 2020...while it is still early Vols appear to be serious contenders for multiple Top 100 guys, headlined by Jaden Springer, Keon Johnson, Jalen Cone, PJ Hall and Matthew Murrell...Samson Ruzhentsev is another guy they are in it with early who isn’t ranked but looks destined to be Top 100.

Obviously last year helped with Josiah James for 2019, now you look to 2020...while it is still early Vols appear to be serious contenders for multiple Top 100 guys, headlined by Jaden Springer, Keon Johnson, Jalen Cone, PJ Hall and Matthew Murrell...Samson Ruzhentsev is another guy they are in it with early who isn’t ranked but looks destined to be Top 100.
If I may ask, what is your take on our chances with Murrell?

I will be surprised if Johnson goes elsewhere.

I ask only because I apparently have not been paying attention. There's no National Signing Day in basketball correct?

VN Store

Back