Cuonzo supporters put to rest

The part where he left because people were sending racist death threats to his wife maybe?

Pearl is white. Judaism is a religion or ethnicity. Race and ethnicity are two different things. There are Jews of every race. Pearl is a white Eastern European Jew. So not the same thing. Good try though. Race is phenotype and ethnicity is shared culture, history, and language.

So it played a part. Not all people that didn't like Zo had those reasons. Some obviously did. If that isn't you why are you so offended? Hit too close to home?

It was a factor.

Maybe not for you. Good then.

Put the brakes on buddy. You are bringing fact, religious and correct geographic historical data to an East Tennessee giddyup. Bound to get messed up but best of luck.

Reactions: k-town_king
Missouri cancelled their game at South Carolina tomorrow because they could not get a flight out of Columbia, Missouri because of a snow storm.

Zo is a good coach.

Barnes is a great coach. Better than any we have had by far.

Both came in expected to be last or next to last in the conference but finished higher. Yet Zo never gets credit for over achieving like any other coach has. Both took three years for a NCCA appearance.

People claimed Zo should have been going to the tourney because of the laughable claim he had "3 NBA players." Ignoring that they needed development and we had a season during that time that we were without our best player who never came back 100%.

Now we will probably have 4 or even 5 "NBA players" going by the same standards yet the same Zo bashers haven't complained about Barnes tourney misses with just as much or more talent.

Zo never played the race card.

For one it's not a thing. Just something racists made up to try and silence people bringing up examples of racism.

Two he never once himself said anything at all about race.

Other people wrote about known racism directed at him. Even the players talked about it.

I know for a fact he got racist death threats. I know for a fact his wife did at home and work and he never once brought it up in the media.

A bunch of clowns that have bias are just mad that the reporters covering the story called them out.

We would have been good with Zo. We would have had Jaylen Brown and several more players.

Barnes is the better coach by far. Glad we have him.

Zo was held to different standards by some fans. Racism played a part. If that wasnt why you didn't like him shut up about it.

It was a factor for others. You can't speak for them.

I am not going speak on a race issue. Just not going there. But if you want to compare the two coaches, Barnes led his team to a regular season title last year and a 3 seed. As I said in this thread, Zo took over a team that had talent but needed development. Barnes took over a team that needed talent and development. If Zo’s last season at UT was like last year’s team, there would hardly be any critics.

I liked Zo personally. Great defensive teacher. Just a poor offensive coach, and that’s been his weakness at every stop since UT.

Ignore Button is nice.

Trolls like K-town King are the reason racism is still prevalent. They stir the pot to keep it active so they still have a platform. Let it go or take it elsewhere.

Take people's race out this conversation and what do you have? A coach that underachieved at a job he was paid millions to achieve at. Then he left it in shambles.

We have a hit dog hollering over here.

It's still prevalent because people do racist stuff, not because people call it out.

Now about Zo. Why the different standards?

What year did he under achieve?

The first year picked 12 and finishing 2nd ?

The second year picked about 4th or 5rh with Maymon factored in? Then meeting thst without him the whole year when he was out beat player at that time?

The third year not preseason top 25 and going to the Sweet 16?

The fact is Barnes had a similar UT performance rhrough three years. Zo got further his third year too

But Zo underacheived?

And if people want to use the dumb argument that he somehow had 3 NBA players for all three years then Barnes probably has more NBA players. Who will actually be real NBA players too.

Just like Pearl left Zo a top returning scorer of 3.3 ppg?

If he stayed we have Jaylen Brown and a bunch of other guys. He left and we got a terrible replacement.

Why the different standards then?

Do you have a link to any source which confirms that Cuonzo Martin's wife was the victim of "racist death threats" while in Tennessee ? I assume you know of one, since you are speaking about this as though it's publicly held common knowledge.
I have told people several times how I know.

My sister and Zo's wife were friends when they lived here. I know for a fact that there were a ton of racist threats to his wife at her job and home.

Zo never once brought it up but people want to claim he somehow played the imaginary race card.

There were a ton of things they kept hidden to not seem to be bashing UT.

Then we have idiots on here mad that reporters wrote their opinions about it.

I'm actually thankful for CCMs time at UT. Could it have been better and more exciting to watch? Yes...but what we needed at the time was anything at or above a moderate level of success in order to stay relevant. He achieved that. We needed to bring in talent...CCM achieved that. We needed a clean program...CCM achieved that. Can you imagine where our program would be right now without those things? What if we had gone directly from Pearl to Tyndall?

Bruce put us back in the national spotlight, Cuonzo at least kept us on the fridge of it and Tyndall nuked our program. I am thankful that we have Barnes who brought us back from the brink and is continuing to improve on what Bruce started and Cuonzo somewhat maintained.

And if you don't think that CCM and his family encountered racism in Knoxville you are crazy. It may be a minority but there is a portion of the UT fanbase who would never accept a black HC no matter how successful and I'm sure that effected his family.

Reactions: SolidRockGolf
I have told people several times how I know.

My sister and Zo's wife were friends when they lived here. I know for a fact that there were a ton of racist threats to his wife at her job and home.

Zo never once brought it up but people want to claim he somehow played the imaginary race card.

There were a ton of things they kept hidden to not seem to be bashing UT.

Then we have idiots on here mad that reporters wrote their opinions about it.
Which reporters wrote their opinions about it? Can you provide a link?

Which reporters wrote their opinions about it? Can you provide a link?
I'm not the one claiming the madeup race card was played pal.

Martin literally never once said anything about race when discussing the move.

The only time anyone said anything about race a writer said it. You look it up.

So either you agree no one brought up race or show me were Zo did if you claim the writers didn't.

Only good points I recall about Counzo is #1. Players did not get in trouble off the court. # 2. Team improved and made a good run in tourney to Sweet 16 his last season

I'm not the one claiming the madeup race card was played pal.

Martin literally never once said anything about race when discussing the move.

The only time anyone said anything about race a writer said it. You look it up.

So either you agree no one brought up race or show me were Zo did if you claim the writers didn't.
I think Cuonzo Martin left Tennessee after 3 seasons for the same reason that he left California after 3 seasons (and it has nothing to do with alleged racism). He knew that he didn't have a good team in place for the next season and he wanted to stay ahead of the ax. Check the results. Cal is one of the worst teams in the Power 5 right now. He left them high and dry with nothing... More than likely, he will do the same thing to Missouri after next season. That's just how he does things.

Last nights slaughter of Mizzou on their home court should put to rest the few remaining Cuonzo supporters among Vol fans. As I've said for some time, CM is a fine man, an outstanding recruiter, but can't coach. He cannot make in-game adjustments. His teams almost always play worse the second half of games than the first half because opposing coaches make positive adjustments and Cuonzo does not. Losing by 24 at home is more evidence of this. Look at Mizzou and realize this is what Tennessee BB would be right now had Cuonzo been retained.

I am a VOL supporter who liked Zo ok, but was embarrassed by the number of folks that signed the stupid petition during the season and before our entry into the tournament. It allowed the press to add to our mattress burning reputation. It appears to have motivated him to look for a landing place where not being Bruce would not be an issue. Now, I loved Bruce on our sidelines and have long held that our admin should have bit the bullet and accepted whatever the NCAA wanted to dish out and kept Bruce after the big bad low down feeding recruits scandal. Why trying to cover up that deal was worth the noise they made I will never understand. Even if he had to sit a year so be it.

I think Cuonzo Martin left Tennessee after 3 seasons for the same reason that he left California after 3 seasons (and it has nothing to do with alleged racism). He knew that he didn't have a good team in place for the next season and he wanted to stay ahead of the ax. Check the results. Cal is one of the worst teams in the Power 5 right now. He left them high and dry with nothing... More than likely, he will do the same thing to Missouri after next season. That's just how he does things.

I am guessing Mrs ZO did not like the CA culture for raising the kids. I would not... had to spend several extended stay visits in the Bay area years back and hated it....

I am guessing Mrs ZO did not like the CA culture for raising the kids. I would not... had to spend several extended stay visits in the Bay area years back and hated it....
I think you're being charitable with your speculation. Cuonzo knew he had nothing returning or coming in for the 2017-18 season at Cal and he also knew that he might be able to lure Michael Porter Jr. to Missouri (where his brother played). He was trying to stay one year ahead of the ax... just like he did at Tennessee. He knew we would struggle in 2014-15 and he wanted no part of it. His tenures at Tennessee and California were carbon copies of each other.

I think you're being charitable with your speculation. Cuonzo knew he had nothing returning or coming in for the 2017-18 season at Cal and he also knew that he might be able to lure Michael Porter Jr. to Missouri (where his brother played). He was trying to stay one year ahead of the ax... just like he did at Tennessee. He knew we would struggle in 2014-15 and he wanted no part of it. His tenures at Tennessee and California were carbon copies of each other.
It's remarkable how some people can't grasp this concept. He ran. And set it up behind his bosses back.

When he takes his recruits the teams won't be good. Duh.

We had Jaylen Brown if he stayed here.

None of you can seriously say that he isn't held to standard no other coach we had is.

Finished above projections each year. People bring up the talent he developed as why he should have won when they were young.

Barnes will have more pro players. He had to develop them. No one holds it against Barnes that we didn't make the tourney two years with a probable multi SECPOY and several guys that will get more NBA playing time than Stokes and McRae.

None of you can seriously say that he isn't held to standard no other coach we had is.

Finished above projections each year. People bring up the talent he developed as why he should have won when they were young.

Barnes will have more pro players. He had to develop them. No one holds it against Barnes that we didn't make the tourney two years with a probable multi SECPOY and several guys that will get more NBA playing time than Stokes and McRae.

The act of Barnes accepting the job was representative of not running from a challenge. He was also clean as they come. First quality was an improvement on Zo, the second on Tyndall. However we got there we hired a superior coach to either of them so end of story.

Reactions: OrangeAllDay

California was 8-24 last year and they are 5-10 so far this year... Martin made a trash heap of that program - not much different than how he left Tennessee except that we lucked into Barnes.

The act of Barnes accepting the job was representative of not running from a challenge. He was also clean as they come. First quality was an improvement on Zo, the second on Tyndall. However we got there we hired a superior coach to either of them so end of story.
Barnes is the best coach we have had by far. No one has disputed that.

Some people act like Tyndall was a better coach or Zo was a terrible underperfromer. Neither are true. For some strange reason he is held to a different standard.

Despite inheriting similar situations as coaches who followed . And got further than either of them his third year before he left. But for some strange reason people say he underacheived.

Lmao

California was 8-24 last year and they are 5-10 so far this year... Martin made a trash heap of that program - not much different than how he left Tennessee except that we lucked into Barnes.
Not his fault. Tyndall made a trash heap. Barnes didn't follow Zo.

Cal made a bad hire to follow. You can see improvement in basketball by the second year with a good coach. Maybe the first.

Mizzou got a lot better with Zo. Cal got a lot worse when he left. Not sure that helps your argument that he is a bad coach. 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃

VN Store

Back