Cuonzo Martin would love this team

”Scared
Scared to make a mistake. So true. I recognize it from when I played high school basketball. Rick Barnes in almost every post game presser dogs somebody for there shooting. I like Rick Barnes, but his method of doing that is a huge mistake. Shooting is such a confidence thing. It’s clear they lack confidence. And when your coach constantly criticizes people for shooting or the shots they take, it’s a big time confidence killer. I think Barnes has a major blindsootin this area. Someone should tell him to shut up. The kids see and hear these comments. They’re not helpful. They are confidence killers.

why even mention the CuonZone...he can't help us...got problems of his own...we gotta fix this ourselves...:D

GO VOLS!

Reactions: feathersax
Scared to make a mistake. So true. I recognize it from when I played high school basketball. Rick Barnes in almost every post game presser dogs somebody for there shooting. I like Rick Barnes, but his method of doing that is a huge mistake. Shooting is such a confidence thing. It’s clear they lack confidence. And when your coach constantly criticizes people for shooting or the shots they take, it’s a big time confidence killer. I think Barnes has a major blindsootin this area. Someone should tell him to shut up. The kids see and hear these comments. They’re not helpful. They are confidence killers.
How’d that moron back into 700 wins?

He also massively underachieves with better talent. If he were coaching this team, they most certainly wouldn't finish above .500.

He literally finished above projections and expectations each year. Check the preseason vs final rankings. It is a fact.

I think many don’t like him because he never tried to endear himself to the fan base, which is ok but this is what you get, he also played the race card which didn’t go over great either.

You family being threatened by racists and the team and media catching wind of it and talking about it isn't "playing the race card," which isn't a thing anyway.

Why are people bringing up Zo anyway? He isn't here. Barnes also had a year everyone claimed Zo would have but never did. Its funny how people look at the two and their results are very similar here. But Zo's teams actually got stronger each year and made a run towards the postseason. This team looks like it may collapse and wait for next year. I hope we make a run though. Zo had zero teams finish .500 or worse. Even with a young team. Barnes after this year may have 3 of 5 seasons at .500 or worse.

He literally finished above projections and expectations each year. Check the preseason vs final rankings. It is a fact.

You family being threatened by racists and the team and media catching wind of it and talking about it isn't "playing the race card," which isn't a thing anyway.

Why are people bringing up Zo anyway? He isn't here. Barnes also had a year everyone claimed Zo would have but never did. Its funny how people look at the two and their results are very similar here. But Zo's teams actually got stronger each year and made a run towards the postseason. This team looks like it may collapse and wait for next year. I hope we make a run though. Zo had zero teams finish .500 or worse. Even with a young team. Barnes after this year may have 3 of 5 seasons at .500 or worse.

I didn't say one word about race or the race card so go preach to someone else.

Zo also took off a half a season then rallied when people started grumbling about him. Imagine if he had not dug himself a hole each season he was here. And you seriously are comparing what Zo inherited with what Barnes did and trying to do a cool flex on Barnes having his first 2 seasons .500 of worse? Get that weak **** out of here.

Don't go bringing logic, reason, and facts into this discussion.

I didn't say one word about race or the race card so go preach to someone else.

Zo also took off a half a season then rallied when people started grumbling about him. Imagine if he had not dug himself a hole each season he was here. And you seriously are comparing what Zo inherited with what Barnes did and trying to do a cool flex on Barnes having his first 2 seasons .500 of worse? Get that weak **** out of here.
Facts not flex. They inherited similar expectations. Zo never had a .500 year. People just hate him. Barnes is better but his results here are pretty similar to results people hated Zo for.

"Make a mistaken", I see what you did there. Well played. What did you expect from a team that lost four players to the pros ?! From a team that lost it's leader and best player a week into the season ? You thought we'd win 30 games this year ?

I thought this team, with personnel from last year, would play with
- Pace
- Toughness
- Grit
- Chip in their shoulder

In order to overcome the loss of four pros. There are many teams out there that manage to retool around a specific culture. Not just the one and done schools but schools like ETSU who grabs a motley array of talent and molds them into a team.

I agree there is no on the court leadership.

I’m surprised by that.

Not sure why I've seen so many people hating on Cuonzo lately?

Did he need to go? Yeah. Was he a great coach-No. But I have no ill feelings towards him.
I am not hating on the person. I know he cares for his players.

His style of play was half court, through the post, and generally unadaptive or imaginative. He took the air out of the ball and out of the arena.

He was born and raised in Big 10 basketball. That isn’t a style that resonates in the SEC or for this University.

Not sure why I've seen so many people hating on Cuonzo lately? Seemed like he was a heck of a good guy that legitimately cared about his players. He got us to the sweet 16 (should have been the elite 8, but that wasn't his fault).

Did he need to go? Yeah. Was he a great coach-No. But I have no ill feelings towards him.
By the same token, I wander why people keep defending a bad coach. I have never seen a coach as bad as him not face criticism. It goes with the territory. Yet a segment of our fanbase loses their mind when the truth about him is told.

Reactions: Alex10
By the same token, I wander why people keep defending a bad coach. I have never seen a coach as bad as him not face criticism. It goes with the territory. Yet a segment of our fanbase loses their mind when the truth about him is told.
A bad coach that had the same type of results as a great coach. Hmm I wonder why.

Reactions: VolDaddy61

He hasn't been OUR coach for years! Criticize all you want......6 years ago...or even 4 or if you can't get over it.
Yall's got to move on by now though. Say he was bad, but why relish in his downfall? I just don't get it.

Reactions: VolDaddy61
He hasn't been OUR coach for years! Criticize all you want......6 years ago...or even 4 or if you can't get over it.
Yall's got to move on by now though. Say he was bad, but why relish in his downfall? I just don't get it.
I'm just sick and tired of a segment saying he is a good coach. There is zero evidence to back that up. You don't see people getting all defensive and talking about how good a coach Buzz Peterson was when his name comes up.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
I'm just sick and tired of a segment saying he is a good coach. There is zero evidence to back that up. You don't see people getting all defensive and talking about how good a coach Buzz Peterson was when his name comes up.
Buzz sucked.
Cuonzo sucks...just with better players.

Cuonzo will never be considered elite or even a "good coach" by the masses who actually know basketball.

He is below average....at best.

The ones who heartily defend him do so for reasons beyond his coaching ability.

I relish his downfall, because I feel like he quit on me. Here I defended him for three years and all he thanked me with, was himself running to Cal. I took it personally. I don’t care if any one else hates the guy or likes him.

Zo is the worst kind of quitter, one that quits when the job gets tough. And his fourth year was definitely going to be his toughest year yet. So ya I get giddy when his teams are losing, because I don’t like the guy. I relish when people I don’t like lose. I’m not perfect, neither do I care to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
I relish his downfall, because I feel like he quit on me. Here I defended him for three years and all he thanked me with, was himself running to Cal. I toke it personally. I don’t care if any one else hates the guy or likes him.

Zo is the worst kind of quitter, one that quits when the job gets tough. And his fourth year was definitely going to be his toughest year yet. So ya I get giddy when his teams are losing, because I don’t like the guy. I relish when people I don’t like lose. I’m not perfect, neither do I care to be.
All while going on and on about toughness. He was the one that wasn't tough.

VN Store

Back