Culture Change

Good read and love to see that pride factor showing through in accountability.
You nailed it bud! Pride, accountability and work ethic. Three things that this program has been lacking for quite a while!
Now these guys have to learn how to win, which I think they are doing, and this program will be in good shape.
GBO!!

Reactions: Mustng959
Two observations:

1. We have hired a string of oddball types since Paycheck. Kiffin is Kiffin, Dooley is an arrogant entitled brat, Butch is a carnival barker, and Pruitt is a mean-spirited dimwit. Heupel, while not a dynamic speaker, seems like an actual, honest to goodness, normal person. A guy you could see bumping into at an airport, striking up a conversation, and never know he was a HBC at a P5 school. Refreshing. I don't think he has a 'recruiter personality', but if he keeps winning and improving, Tennessee will, once again, largely recruit itself. And he has Rodney Garner....so there's that.

2. For the first time in a LONG time, I don't dread a collapse every game. We are playing solid football - not stumbling into wins where you KNEW it wasn't real, especially under Pruitt. I am fairly confident we will win big vs Vandy this weekend, and consider the worst case likely is a closer win than we expect. I just don't get the sense another cup-check moment is coming. And that, too, is 'refreshing'! :)

Maybe practice under Pruitt was so agonizing is why JG, in Pruitt's opinion, was the best chance to win. It became obvious in 2020 that the team just didn't have any fire in their bellies. I had hopes for Pruitt after the 2019 season, but that, in hindsight, was an anomaly. Heupel has brought a whole different style to Tennessee and the current players seem to have bought 100% and love playing for him. They are the ambassadors for this program that will sell the recruits on coming aboard.

Pruitt after HB TD pass in practice: "Bailey! how many times have I told you not to embarrass the starting QB!

Give me 6 Hail Mary Pick 6's and bend over for three swats with the cornbread skillet!

Reactions: GritNGrind1906
Two observations:

1. We have hired a string of oddball types since Paycheck. Kiffin is Kiffin, Dooley is an arrogant entitled brat, Butch is a carnival barker, and Pruitt is a mean-spirited dimwit. Heupel, while not a dynamic speaker, seems like an actual, honest to goodness, normal person. A guy you could see bumping into at an airport, striking up a conversation, and never know he was a HBC at a P5 school. Refreshing. I don't think he has a 'recruiter personality', but if he keeps winning and improving, Tennessee will, once again, largely recruit itself. And he has Rodney Garner....so there's that.

2. For the first time in a LONG time, I don't dread a collapse every game. We are playing solid football - not stumbling into wins where you KNEW it wasn't real, especially under Pruitt. I am fairly confident we will win big vs Vandy this weekend, and consider the worst case likely is a closer win than we expect. I just don't get the sense another cup-check moment is coming. And that, too, is 'refreshing'! :)

Have you ever had a friend that came across as normal but was “wicked smart“? That’s what CJH reminds me of.

What I wasn’t aware of, he seems to have a heart. He really cares for and loves his players. This is as proud as I have been of our football program since the late 90s. I hope this is sustained.

VN Store

Back