Crowd at TBA

I love how people who sat/sit at home on their couches watching the game want to comment on the crowd that actually went to the game. If you have such an issue with the crowd pony up some money and attend the games and make your prescence known. Of course watching at home you really don't know if the crowd or parts of the crowd are yelling and cheering. I have season tickects in the upperdeck and our section cheers but you would never know it on TV, plus it sometimes is hard to offer up encouragement to this team when the team makes the same boneheaded mistakes over an over again but to my earlier point, if you are not at TBA I don't think you can say a whole lot about the crowd. Just my 2 cents.
FWIW, I make the trip for the football games because that's once a week. It's a little tougher to have season basketball tickets considering the week nights and living in Virginia. I'd go cheer every game if I could, but sometimes you just have to depend on the other thousands of Tennessee fans to get the job done. Not everyone lives in or around Knoxville. However, I will tell you I've been to plenty of games. Enough to know that Tennessee fans don't get it when it comes to making noise.

Point is if you can make it to the games come on but if you can't then don't make judgements from your couch or recliner.
Are you saying that TBA was rocking today? Was there so much noise that you couldn't take it anymore? Did my Bose surround sound just fail me? Maybe I had the game on mute. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to the announcers even make comments about how lifeless it was in there. Give me a break.

Last edited:
actually I sit in 329.

I just thought maybe 317, cause we are live...
Um, also been to enough games to know that 20,000 of our fans don't compare to 10,000 of some other fans...
Or 100,000 of our fans can't compete with some others 80,000...

I love how people who sat/sit at home on their couches watching the game want to comment on the crowd that actually went to the game. If you have such an issue with the crowd pony up some money and attend the games and make your prescence known. Of course watching at home you really don't know if the crowd or parts of the crowd are yelling and cheering. I have season tickects in the upperdeck and our section cheers but you would never know it on TV, plus it sometimes is hard to offer up encouragement to this team when the team makes the same boneheaded mistakes over an over again but to my earlier point, if you are not at TBA I don't think you can say a whole lot about the crowd. Just my 2 cents.

Did you by chance notice that I live in Maryland? Season tickets probably wouldn't be the best investment. When I lived in Knoxville last year, I had season tickets, went to every game, and cheered my butt off. Why don't you get all the details before you run your mouth?

Last edited:
actually I sit in 329. I realize that some of us don't live in Knoxville and can't attend games but you still have no real gripe to complain about the crowd you were watching on TV. You can not tell what is going on in the upper deck or the top of the lower deck when watching on TV. As an example, I know from the past few games that there were not but a handfull of students behind the goal but if you put 20 students lined up in a row 3 deep on camera it appears that the student section is full when it isn't just like it might seem that there is no noise from the crowd when there is. Point is if you can make it to the games come on but if you can't then don't make judgements from your couch or recliner.

wrong on so many levels

I just thought maybe 317, cause we are live...
Um, also been to enough games to know that 20,000 of our fans don't compare to 10,000 of some other fans...
Or 100,000 of our fans can't compete with some others 80,000...

I was in 317 last year.

I was at the game. There was little wrong with today's crowd. For a noon game on a Sunday, the attendance was probably around 18 - 19k (announced at 20,400). It was actually one of the larger crowds we've had all season.

The only gap in the stands were more missing students.

The crowd got into it when they needed to. It wasn't quiet. Might not be your most lively bunch, but I've seen far worse.

For those watching on TV, give us a break. #1...you can't gauge crowd noise from TV. They can filter that stuff out. #2...you weren't here. #3...the crowd had nothing to do with the loss today...

The real reasons... was bad free throw shooting and an excessive # of 3-pointers (25) from a team that isn't all that good shooting them. The defense was actually pretty decent. We pulled an LSU and decided to relax a little after capturing our crowd. Both teams will pay for it come Selection Sunday.

I was at the game. There was little wrong with today's crowd. For a noon game on a Sunday, the attendance was probably around 18 - 19k (announced at 20,400). It was actually one of the larger crowds we've had all season.

The only gap in the stands were more missing students.

The crowd got into it when they needed to. It wasn't quiet. Might not be your most lively bunch, but I've seen far worse.

For those watching on TV, give us a break. #1...you can't gauge crowd noise from TV. They can filter that stuff out. #2...you weren't here. #3...the crowd had nothing to do with the loss today...

The real reasons... was bad free throw shooting and an excessive # of 3-pointers (25) from a team that isn't all that good shooting them. The defense was actually pretty decent. We pulled an LSU and decided to relax a little after capturing our crowd. Both teams will pay for it come Selection Sunday.

Who said anything about the crowd being the reason we lost?

The crowd was asleep until about half-time, just like our team. The crowd was actually pretty rowdy in the second half, and it definitely gave the team a boost. But as was said earlier, if you live anywhere Knoxville and you don't attend games, then you should not criticize the crowd.

Oh, Makers of the Internet Posting Rules: If I attend every Volunteer football home game and roughly 3/4 of the baskteball games, can I say that our crowd, as a whole, SUCKS for both? How about if I sit on the 50 at Neyland and am ostracized for continual standing and cheering while the Vols are on defense? How about if I know firsthand that the center- and side-court lower level sections of TBA are on their arses 95% of the game?

It's hilarious that someone thinks they have the right to find fault with a Tennessee fan knocking the enthusiasm of a Big Orange crowd. All of us with any sense at all know that we could, and should, be a whole lot rowdier.

Oh, Makers of the Internet Posting Rules: If I attend every Volunteer football home game and roughly 3/4 of the baskteball games, can I say that our crowd, as a whole, SUCKS for both? How about if I sit on the 50 at Neyland and am ostracized for continual standing and cheering while the Vols are on defense? How about if I know firsthand that the center- and side-court lower level sections of TBA are on their arses 95% of the game?

It's hilarious that someone thinks they have the right to find fault with a Tennessee fan knocking the enthusiasm of a Big Orange crowd. All of us with any sense at all know that we could, and should, be a whole lot rowdier.

I'm going to need to see your credentials before you make these kinds of statements. If you could please fax a copy of your season tickets invoices, it would be greatly appreciated.

Basically meaningless game . . . noon start on a Sunday . . . horrific performance. Not sure what people expect out of any crowd in that situation.

The same types of people in TBA are the same ones that make Neyland not what it used to be.

Some Vols fans these days remind me of Atlanta Braves fans. They got spoiled for awhile and suddenly just clinching the division didn't matter anymore and they barely showed up for the playoffs down there. If we were a Top 15 team, that place would have been full.

Our crowd was very weak today, but not just today the atmosphere at most of our games hasn't been very intimidating.

The thing that really bugs me is when people ask you to be quiet and sit down when you're cheering.

Our crowd was very weak today, but not just today the atmosphere at most of our games hasn't been very intimidating.

The thing that really bugs me is when people ask you to be quiet and sit down when you're cheering.

I had that happen at the Florida game last year. We were sitting about five rows from the top of the upper level. This girl kept complaining that she couldnt see because we were standing up. I finally told her to get up and then she could see. She got mad and ran off at the mouth. She was a UT "fan" at that.

We have all these rich old folks that think they are at a funeral service and if you yell or cheer they look like you have disrespected the dearly departed. That happened to me at the FL game last year. If looks could have killed I would not be here. Money gets them the good seats but they will never get excited. I do not understand it but it is a reality. I am going to yell, scream, and holler if at home or at TBA or in my car or anywhere when UT is playing.

We have all these rich old folks that think they are at a funeral service and if you yell or cheer they look like you have disrespected the dearly departed. That happened to me at the FL game last year. If looks could have killed I would not be here. Money gets them the good seats but they will never get excited. I do not understand it but it is a reality. I am going to yell, scream, and holler if at home or at TBA or in my car or anywhere when UT is playing.
Or you have the ones who buy up the seats and then never attend the games.

VN Store

Back