Crompton speaks on Chaney

I'm not a fan of DeBord. He didn't utilize Kamara or Dobbs as well as he should have
He got fired after 2008 and was relegated to administrative duties. He’d have likely stayed there if Butch hadn’t come calling. He was nowhere close to a hot item back then. Clawsen, on the other hand, immediately found gainful employment after 2008.

I'm not a fan of DeBord. He didn't utilize Kamara or Dobbs as well as he should have
I don’t think Kamara was his call and I disagree about Dobbs. He had only so high a ceiling as a passer and I think he got the max out of it. No one should argue with how he used his mobility. What I liked was how he got the most out that OL in consideration of the scheme and OL coach he was limited with. Will always believe that he had gotten the go-ahead to mix in more of the offset I that was unleashed on Northwestern...and then Butch reneged. That mix with the spread would have maximized the talent on the roster imo.

What on earth did you just say? So many acronyms and percentages that a man with a 6 o'clock cocktail just can't keep up.

Interpretation = According to VN, just how much Cheney was the cause of Crompton's success here is firmly rooted VN's current opinion of Lane Kiffin and whether Cheney is on our staff or not. :)

Reactions: Otis1105
Unless the UT coaching staff are complete ogres and scumbags the living fan discounts their ability to do the job. The base is willing and expects UT to lie and cheat and be the worst kind of human being yet we have churches on every corner. IMO we judge them to be inferior unless they are arrogant and examples of the worst in society to win a stupid ballgame. We think of them as lazy if they are overweight. Yet a blowhard jovial smart@$$that throws out zinger media moments is a damn genius and we glorify them. Excuse me while I throw up while reading this crap. Chaney is a good coach and a pretty decent human being and will represent UT at a very high level. You may now return to thumping your Bible and waving your flag and being hypocrites

Reactions: KINGSVOL
There is honestly no one else I'd rather have than Chaney. I love his offense and was praying for him to our OC even during the season. I was a happy man when I heard the news.

Ok....

Dick Cheney is a previous VP who you never want to go hunting with. See avatar.

Jim Chaney is our OC and a damn good OC.

Why are these last names getting mixed up?

That’s all.

Continue along now.

I don’t think Kamara was his call and I disagree about Dobbs. He had only so high a ceiling as a passer and I think he got the max out of it. No one should argue with how he used his mobility. What I liked was how he got the most out that OL in consideration of the scheme and OL coach he was limited with. Will always believe that he had gotten the go-ahead to mix in more of the offset I that was unleashed on Northwestern...and then Butch reneged. That mix with the spread would have maximized the talent on the roster imo.
Our line was poor and that's not his fault so your right there. But in my opinion he didn't run Dobbs enough. Particularly on those zone reads, if he let Dobbs actually keep it on those it would have been more effective. The way we ran it was just a delayed handoff behind a poor offensive line. I also think Dobbs had a higher ceiling than we thought as evidenced by him sticking around on the Steelers for all this time.

Reactions: AM64
Our line was poor and that's not his fault so your right there. But in my opinion he didn't run Dobbs enough. Particularly on those zone reads, if he let Dobbs actually keep it on those it would have been more effective. The way we ran it was just a delayed handoff behind a poor offensive line. I also think Dobbs had a higher ceiling than we thought as evidenced by him sticking around on the Steelers for all this time.
You can overdo carries. And the zone read is on the QUARTERBACK...he’s the one reading the defense.

Literally just finished watching a replay of the UT v USDjr game on Halloween of 09. Crompton and, that offense, looked good. And on a side note, EB🐐

Someone explain to me why Chaney would leave Kirby and Georgia to come work with Pruitt at Tennessee?

Wonder how much that was of Cheney and how much that was of Kiffin?
Chaney personally told me how they solved the Compton thing.
He exampled Breeze and said that if they were in film study Breeze would be very candid and tell them who screwed up on the play or just say, “Coach, don’t call that play.”

Chaney said Cromp was the proverbial nice guy. “do you like this play?”
“Sure coach.”

Once they let him know it was ok to disagree and give feedback, they were able to shape the playbook to his strengths. Productivity created confidence. If he’d had Chaney his whole career who knows.

Someone explain to me why Chaney would leave Kirby and Georgia to come work with Pruitt at Tennessee?
Chaney freaking loves it here.
Consider how crazy this is. He and Pittman were still here after Dooley left. Both were 100% wanting to stay. I don’t think Butch didn’t even interviewed Chaney and Pittman was only given a courtesy.
Probably better for both of them that they didn’t have to work for that clown.
Had both stayed it’s likely Bray would have returned for his senior year.

I saw that douchebag Butch yesterday. Looked like he had been to a spray tan.

Reactions: sjt18
..... swing and a miss

Actually NO. Me and some others Got it; and LOL'd. Sorry it sailed. IF you read the post CORRECTLY that's exactly what he said. It was funny, it was good, and just because you didn't come up with it does not diminish it. I see yall love to box up in here, well I'm up for it.

Play calling didnt have Crompton throwing half his passes to the stands or 5 yards in front of the WR.
Do you really believe that play calling, play design, and other things an OC is responsible for have nothing to do with a QB confidently delivering a pass on target? Some have mentioned Helton's impact on JG and possibly the OL last year. I am not sure it is quantifiable... but I am sure it is real in both cases.

Crompton is an authority on having a terrible career turned around in short order. JG hasn't been as bad as Crompton was. Crompton had a year of turmoil but he also had a couple of years with Cut. Cut never liked him for whatever reason. Regardless, Crompton was completely broken by the time Chaney showed up. Just building his confidence enough to go out and have that year is a pretty amazing coaching job.

BUT... whatever part Chaney had in turning JC... bodes well for JG and the others now.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Do you really believe that play calling, play design, and other things an OC is responsible for have nothing to do with a QB confidently delivering a pass on target? Some have mentioned Helton's impact on JG and possibly the OL last year. I am not sure it is quantifiable... but I am sure it is real in both cases.
In Crompton's case, I think it mattered. He was physically fine, but spent a lot of his career with the game moving too fast. Maybe he was just a guy who couldn't make reads, but having 4 OCs and 3 systems couldn't have helped.

Reactions: CornFlake and sjt18

VN Store

Back