Crompton speaks on Chaney

Wasn't PF nudged to Clawson over Debord by AD or boosters?

I know I read that, just assuming it was something linked here.

Yes. Fulmer offered the job to another candidate. (I believe he was the offensive line coach at an ACC school, maybe Clemson) The candidate’s offensive philosophy and system were very similar to ours. It would have been a smooth transition. A key booster and the AD nixed the hire because they felt it was time to change the offensive system to something “more exciting.” Fulmer and the players never fully bought into the “Clawfense,” and Fulmer eventually took over the offensive reins mid-season.

Last edited:
Yes. Fulmer offered the job to another candidate. (I believe he was the offensive line coach at an ACC school, maybe Clemson) The candidate’s offensive philosophy and system were very similar to ours. It would have been a smooth transition. A key booster and the AD nixed the hire because they felt it was time to change the offensive system to something “more exciting.” Fulmer and the players never fully bought in to the “Clawfense,” and Fulmer eventually took over the offensive reins mid-season.
Never heard that nugget. Gotta know the name now.

I havent been this excited about a coordinator coming to Knoxville since Bob Shoop came from Penn State...oh wait, Sal Sinseri from Alabama...or wait...Monte Kiffin from Tampa Bay... that works.

Seriously thou, I do expect Chaney to do a good job. Hes a proven OC. If this fails, its on the players. Or Will Friend.

Or that guy who cursed UT when Rome was taken off the air.

Wonder how much that was of Cheney and how much that was of Kiffin?
According to this quote....

The former UT signal caller explained the impact Chaney had on his career, telling Reising “I wish I would have had him (Chaney) for more than a year, because I would’ve reaped more benefits than I did with any other coaches”.

.....looks like it was Chaney.

I'm not a fan of DeBord. He didn't utilize Kamara or Dobbs as well as he should have
Debord did a nice job here. He was hamstrung by Jones who dictated that Hurd got 80% of touches because of politics despite Kamara being the far better football player and fit for the offense. Look what happened at TAM the week after the Georgia game in 2016 when Hurd didn’t play/make the trip....288 yards from scrimmage and 3 tds. Jones kept Debord from utilizing Kamara.

Reactions: Remy
Debord did a nice job here. He was hamstrung by Jones who dictated that Hurd got 80% of touches because of politics despite Kamara being the far better football player and fit for the offense. Look what happened at TAM the week after the Georgia game in 2016 when Hurd didn’t play/make the trip....288 yards from scrimmage and 3 tds. Jones kept Debord from utilizing Kamara.

Who kept him from doing anything against garbage teams like Arkansas and South Carolina? The guy had a ton of talent and beat hardly anyone worth a crap. There’s a reason most of his last years were spent working for an idiot, checking chlorine levels, or at a Big 10 bottom feeder.

According to this quote....

The former UT signal caller explained the impact Chaney had on his career, telling Reising “I wish I would have had him (Chaney) for more than a year, because I would’ve reaped more benefits than I did with any other coaches”.

.....looks like it was Chaney.

Word was Compton wasn’t a favorite of cutcliffe. Sometimes things don’t mesh. Nothing against either. Just saying.

Who kept him from doing anything against garbage teams like Arkansas and South Carolina? The guy had a ton of talent and beat hardly anyone worth a crap. There’s a reason most of his last years were spent working for an idiot, checking chlorine levels, or at a Big 10 bottom feeder.

Can’t blame the 2015 Florida loss on Debord. That was on the idiot as head coach. He beat Ga and almost beat bama. Is he a HOF OC? No but he was light years better than the 2 idiots who followed him.

Reactions: KBVol
Ok....

Dick Cheney is a previous VP who you never want to go hunting with. See avatar.

Jim Chaney is our OC and a damn good OC.

Why are these last names getting mixed up?

That’s all.

Continue along now.

Because they are one letter away from being the same and they sound the same.

-in 2016 Debord coordinated one of the greatest Tennessee offenses in school history. Vols averaged 443 yards per game and 36.4 ppg
-in 2016 Vols scored single-season school record 63 total touchdowns and scored a school-record 473 points.
-2015 3rd in the SEC in points per game (35.2), 7 points better per game than the previous season under Bajakian and 13 points better than last season under Helton

So yeah, Debord did a nice job while he was here, especially given that he was hamstrung by his head coach (ask Bob Shoop about that). As far as that SCar game, pretty sure that was Josh Dobbs only completing 12 of 26 passes that day, not Debord. And even in that game, Tennessee would’ve scored 28 points and won had Josh Malone not gotten a penalty for a block in the back negating a rushing TD by Dobbs.

But hey, the mouth breathers have decided that Debord sucked at Tennessee, so scrap all the data/evidence that he didn’t, right?

Word was Compton wasn’t a favorite of cutcliffe. Sometimes things don’t mesh. Nothing against either. Just saying.
I replied to a guy who seemed to imply that Crompton’s success was due to Kiffin, not Chaney. So I quoted Crompton who made it seem like Chaney had the stronger influence on him and his turnaround. That was my only point.

There’s a little bit of revisionist history. Nobody in Vol Country thought Kamara was better than Hurd until he started producing. Kamara didn’t really come on til mid-2016. Before that, he wasn’t exactly Barry Sanders when he did get touches and opportunities (even though he was still a solid player and contributing).

Play calling didnt have Crompton throwing half his passes to the stands or 5 yards in front of the WR.

No. But, not having a coach that knows how to see and correct mechanics, and develop talent does contribute heavily.

There’s a little bit of revisionist history. Nobody in Vol Country thought Kamara was better than Hurd until he started producing. Kamara didn’t really come on til mid-2016. Before that, he wasn’t exactly Barry Sanders when he did get touches and opportunities (even though he was still a solid player and contributing).

Under butch, even Barry would have looked mediocre at best in that backfield. Hell, butch prob would have had him playing a different position.(I don't know that for sure, I just really hate butch so he does not get the benefit of the doubt with me)

Under butch, even Barry would have looked mediocre at best in that backfield. Hell, butch prob would have had him playing a different position.(I don't know that for sure, I just really hate butch so he does not get the benefit of the doubt with me)

The overall point was that nobody thought Kamara was a superstar before his breakout and everyone thought Hurd was better.

The overall point was that nobody thought Kamara was a superstar before his breakout and everyone thought Hurd was better.

I got your point fine and that's the thing I hated about butch(among other things), he had superstar talent and either didn't realize it or utilize it or both. I don't want to divert this thread into a "I hate butch thread" so I'm done ranting about the intern at bama.

I remember complaints about his supposed lack of breakaway speed and not being suited for short yardage plays. By many that bemoaned his misuse later on.

-in 2016 Debord coordinated one of the greatest Tennessee offenses in school history. Vols averaged 443 yards per game and 36.4 ppg
-in 2016 Vols scored single-season school record 63 total touchdowns and scored a school-record 473 points.
-2015 3rd in the SEC in points per game (35.2), 7 points better per game than the previous season under Bajakian and 13 points better than last season under Helton

So yeah, Debord did a nice job while he was here, especially given that he was hamstrung by his head coach (ask Bob Shoop about that). As far as that SCar game, pretty sure that was Josh Dobbs only completing 12 of 26 passes that day, not Debord. And even in that game, Tennessee would’ve scored 28 points and won had Josh Malone not gotten a penalty for a block in the back negating a rushing TD by Dobbs.

But hey, the mouth breathers have decided that Debord sucked at Tennessee, so scrap all the data/evidence that he didn’t, right?

That offense had the talent to give Bama a run for their money. He took them to a pathetic output against USC (remember we had a ST TD) and a loss against Vandy. Helton, Bajakian, Sanders, Butch’s grandmother, anyone would have put up big numbers with that offense.

Not true at all. Plenty of fans were enamored with Hurd and thought he was great. However, there were plenty more of us advocating for Kamara from near day one, when he “produced” in his very first game at Tennessee vs Bowling Green (15 carries for 144 yards and 2 tds). From that point on in 2015 Kamara averaged 7.5 carries per game vs Hurd’s nearly 22 and there were a lot of us saying that Kamara was more explosive and dynamic than Hurd (didn’t take much) and that the touches between those 2 should be closer to 50/50.

Also, you’re completely off on your recollection of Kamara’s stats and him not “coming on until mid-2016”. In 2015 he averaged 7 yards per his 141 touches (compared to Hurd’s 4.9), he just didn’t get near the opportunities he deserved given that production.

Then, in 2016, Jones pretty much completely ignored the fact that Kamara, the much better collegiate running back at Tennessee, was even on his roster. 3 carries vs VaTech, 2 carries vs Florida, etc. Of course Kamara broke out vs TAM in 2016 (along with J Kelly), but it was already abundantly clear to a lot of us that Kamara should’ve been playing A LOT more than he was and that he should be the featured back, not Hurd. Before TAM, despite being an afterthought to Jones and being nearly persona non grata, he already had 1,250 yards from scrimmage and 12 touchdowns.

VN Store

Back