Crompton speaks on Chaney

In Crompton's case, I think it mattered. He was physically fine, but spent a lot of his career with the game moving too fast. Maybe he was just a guy who couldn't make reads, but having 4 OCs and 3 systems couldn't have helped.
There wasn't really a system difference from Sanders to Cut. But personality and coaching wise there was a world of difference between the two. It was suggested at the time that Cut just didn't like JC. It could have been talent or the mental aspect of the game as you suggest... or it could have just been that he didn't have the kind of personal attributes Cut likes in a QB.

There wasn't really a system difference from Sanders to Cut. But personality and coaching wise there was a world of difference between the two. It was suggested at the time that Cut just didn't like JC. It could have been talent or the mental aspect of the game as you suggest... or it could have just been that he didn't have the kind of personal attributes Cut likes in a QB.
I sometimes wondered if Crompton wasn't just one of those guys who didn't get it.

I'll never forget being in Columbia in 2006 behind our bench. With a 2:00 to go, Crompton had to come in because Ainge had a sprained ankle. I'm sure they had a dive play called to get the clock rolling...Crompton got under center, then stood up and started changing the play. I've never seen that many coaches, players and fans all start frantically signal timeout lol.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain on the majority of those plays it was already determined to be given to the RB
That’s not how the zone read works. Maybe you’re thinking about designed QB runs?

Actually NO. Me and some others Got it; and LOL'd. Sorry it sailed. IF you read the post CORRECTLY that's exactly what he said. It was funny, it was good, and just because you didn't come up with it does not diminish it. I see yall love to box up in here, well I'm up for it.

You’ve been a VN member for a long time, you should know you’re going to have to develop a way thicker skin than that if you want to survive on VN.

Reactions: Vol49er
That’s not how the zone read works. Maybe you’re thinking about designed QB runs?
That's kinda my point. We'd run zone read looking plays. But it didn't seem like we'd ever utilize the qb run option enough on those types of plays

Dang...take a listen to this. Crompton knows his stuff and is a natural communicating...dude should be doing color or take Kesslings spot...he’s a natural and has great analysis.
I also listened to the entire broadcast and came away impressed by the way Crompton explained things. Chaney's ability to develop QB's is unmatchable IMO. Word coming out of UGA is his ability to put the game away while UGA had a comfortable lead in back-to-back meetings against bama in '17 and '18 season. In both games Bama came from behind to get the win. Naturally since he left UGA they quickly made him a scapegoat. Crompton also mentioned Weinke and Tee Martin also being on the staff and UT has become a QB's dream. Haynes King has yet to commit and you can bet your bottom dollar he's strongly considering UT. UT is going to be tough when the OLine get's developed and we can have a strong running came.

Wasn't PF nudged to Clawson over Debord by AD or boosters?

I know I read that, just assuming it was something linked here.
It was on him. He wanted to open up the offense and went all in on the spread imo. The suits certainly limited the candidates money wise.

Someone explain to me why Chaney would leave Kirby and Georgia to come work with Pruitt at Tennessee?

From what I understand and it is nothing more than hearsay, Chaney really fell in love with Knoxville when he was there the first time around and never wanted to leave. I guess a chance at returning was more appealing than staying.

Reactions: AM64
Chaney personally told me how they solved the Compton thing.
He exampled Breeze and said that if they were in film study Breeze would be very candid and tell them who screwed up on the play or just say, “Coach, don’t call that play.”

Chaney said Cromp was the proverbial nice guy. “do you like this play?”
“Sure coach.”

Once they let him know it was ok to disagree and give feedback, they were able to shape the playbook to his strengths. Productivity created confidence. If he’d had Chaney his whole career who knows.
Crompton was a likeable guy and a tough bastard. Seems like he'd be cool to drink a beer with

The former UT signal caller explained the impact Chaney had on his career, telling Reising “I wish I would have had him (Chaney) for more than a year, because I would’ve reaped more benefits than I did with any other coaches”.
How is that not an indictment against Cutcliffe?

Matt Simms prior to Worley taking over was amazingly bad. He actually got worse the longer he was here. The only real QB hiccup I can recall on Chaney’s resume.
Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

From what I understand and it is nothing more than hearsay, Chaney really fell in love with Knoxville when he was there the first time around and never wanted to leave. I guess a chance at returning was more appealing than staying.
Huge salary helps too

VN Store

Back