Crean will have his hands full

therealUT

Rational Thought Allowed?
Four of the five leading scorers for IU will not be with the team at the start of next season.

Other than money, I would have to think that leaving Marquette to coach at IU is less than a lateral move, in 2008.

Four of the five leading scorers for IU will not be with the team at the start of next season.

Other than money, I would have to think that leaving Marquette to coach at IU is less than a lateral move, in 2008.

those are the key words of your statement. If Crean can get IU back on top he'll go out a coaching legend just because it's IU.

It's IU. Not that big an 'if'. He may have a rough year next year though.

But we all know why he went to IU, as he said, "It's Indiana, It's Indiana."

IU won two titles before RMK. He's only been gone 8 years after coaching for 30. It is a little early to be saying they're irrelevant. Fact is Davis wasn't that good a coach. Crean brings a resume to match the name of the school.

With Thad Matta next door at Tosu, Beilein at UM, and Painter, in-state, at Purdue, IU is not the IU of yesteryear. This does not even take into account the uptick of Notre Dame and Butler.

As a betting man, I would say that Crean is either forced out or heads to greener pastures in four years.

He already proved he can recruit players to make a Final 4. He now has a more prestigious name to get players.

With Thad Matta next door at Tosu, Beilein at UM, and Painter, in-state, at Purdue, IU is not the IU of yesteryear. This does not even take into account the uptick of Notre Dame and Butler.

As a betting man, I would say that Crean is either forced out or heads to greener pastures in four years.
Matt Painter=Not a better coach than Gene Keady. Thad Matta has yet to put a team on the floor that's substantially better than the Jim Jackson/Lawrence Funderburke teams Randy Ayers produced. When John Beilein assembles talent the likes of Tarpley/Grant/Joubert or Mills/Rice/Robinson or the Fab Five, let me know. Notre Dame is not as good now as it was for most of Digger Phelps' tenure. The only program you mention that is significantly better now than in IU's heydays is Butler. Last I checked, they're in the Horizon League. They are to IU what the mom and pop diner down the street is to McDonald's.

Matt Painter is a beneficiary of the SYF Players, an Indiana AAU team that produced Robbie Hummel, Scott Martin, E'twaun Moore, and JaJuan Johnson -all 4* frosh at Purdue. If he can parlay the potential success of that core into more top-tier recruiting classes in the future they could become a small thorn in IU's side, but aside from that I don't see what should stop Crean from turning IU back into a perennial power again.

I was going to say all of that myself but didn't feel like doing it from my phone.

Matt Painter is a beneficiary of the SYF Players, an Indiana AAU team that produced Robbie Hummel, Scott Martin, E'twaun Moore, and JaJuan Johnson -all 4* frosh at Purdue. If he can parlay the potential success of that core into more top-tier recruiting classes in the future they could become a small thorn in IU's side, but aside from that I don't see what should stop Crean from turning IU back into a perennial power again.
Purdue has always been a thorn in IU's side. They've won more Big 10 titles than the Hoosiers and hold the advantage in the all time series. It's not like them being tough is some new phenomenon.

most IU fans rest easy though knowing they have the advantage over Purdue in titles that really matter.

Crean is a great land for IU. I think that the Loosier administration finally got it right.

That said, they should only issue Crean a mobile that cuts off after 100 minutes per month.

Crean is also 2-0 vs. UK.

VN Store

Back