Crazy to think ...

Heupel might just right his own history. I can’t wait until he has a full roster that isn’t ravaged by injuries

I’ve lost all respect for Fulmer with his AD stunt.

That’s where I ended up after all the mess of the Pruitt era. I thought that Phil would bring stability to the program, but all he brought was absolute incompetence. He wrapped up the job that Mike Hamilton started.

Reactions: tbh and murfvol1
I only know one thing.

It doesn't matter if Fulmer was great, or terrible, or great but turned terrible, or any other combination of descriptors you can throw at him.

None of that matters.

The only thing that matters is, until we as a fan base get over our own tiny prejudices and preferences, and put Phillip Fulmer up on a shelf in our past, safely in our past, and recognize him as the second-best head football coach we've ever had, until we can do that, we're gonna keep pole-vaulting over this ant hill of a discussion topic. Waste of time and breathe and bandwidth.

Probably going to require that anyone who lived through the Fulmer years be dead and buried in the ground, first. And that's a pity.
We should put him on a shelf? We didn't make him AD. We didn't make him work behind the scenes to slide into the AD job.

Only at UT would a head coach fired for performance issues be hired as AD. He was nowhere near qualified to be AD here and should NEVER be allowed anywhere near the program ever again

Reactions: stillavol
That’s where I ended up after all the mess of the Pruitt era. I thought that Phil would bring stability to the program, but all he brought was absolute incompetence. He wrapped up the job that Mike Hamilton started.
The program lost stability 20+ years ago

Fulmer fired himself for his refusal to let Clawson bring in his assistants who KNEW THE OFFENSE. So instead of being able to teach the players the offense in the off-season/preseason, he had to teach the coaches who in turn had to teach the players when they themselves still didn't know it fully.

That was the main mistake Fulmer made.

honest question for whoever might know.....was it really on Fulmer or was it on Hamilton and the bean counters that wouldn't let him bring in the other coaches

In reality Clawson is 78 wins and 77 losses as a head coach At Bowling Green and Wake. One 10 win season at BG and two 8 win seasons at Wake In 13 years as a head coach. Do you really think Tennessee fans would have lived with a .500 coach For 13 years (Not that we have done any better).
I'm not saying he would have been right for UT but his record as a .500 coach doesn't tell the whole story. He's had to build a program everywhere he goes:

His first year at Fordham he was 0-11. He won 19 games his final two seasons.

3-8 year one at Richmond, 11-3 his final season.

10-3 his last year at BG

Now 7-0 in year 8 at Wake.

It's not like he's walked into Mich St, LSU and Alabama his first 3 jobs (not that Saban isn't awesome)

He's currently 4 games under .500 at Wake. If he gets above .500 before he's done there, he'll be the first coach to leave with a winning record since 1950.

John Machovich left there with a 14-20 record and went 30-16 at Illinois and 41-28 at Texas. Al Groh left and had a winning record @ Virginia, Jim Caldwell left with abysmal record of 26-63 and then went 62-50 in the NFL and was one play away from winning the Super Bowl.

Compare this with what Cut has done at Duke- in 14 seasons he's 15 games below .500

Wake has played football since 1888 and Dave has a chance to the the 3rd coach to finish there with a winning record and the first to do so in 70+ years (if he's not hired away first).

Reactions: knox73
honest question for whoever might know.....was it really on Fulmer or was it on Hamilton and the bean counters that wouldn't let him bring in the other coaches
Usually, that decision lies with the Head Coach about who is on his coaching staff. To bring in some, he would have to get rid of some and Fulmer was known to be very loyal to his buddies, to his detriment.

Only at UT would a head coach fired for performance issues be hired as AD.

It's not so much that a "fired coach" was hired as AD. In today's game, nearly all coaches get fired eventually; sometimes for stupid reasons.

It's that the specific reason he fired was his inability to hire quality coaches; which just happens to be the primary duty of the AD.

In reality Clawson is 78 wins and 77 losses as a head coach At Bowling Green and Wake. One 10 win season at BG and two 8 win seasons at Wake In 13 years as a head coach. Do you really think Tennessee fans would have lived with a .500 coach For 13 years (Not that we have done any better).
If we knew what we know now.. It'd been a good hire, but I doubt we would've let him stay at just about 500

It's not so much that a "fired coach" was hired as AD. In today's game, nearly all coaches get fired eventually; sometimes for stupid reasons.

It's that the specific reason he fired was his inability to hire quality coaches; which just happens to be the primary duty of the AD.
Yep.

Name another power 5 university who has hired an AD who was previously fired as head coach. And no, not nearly all long time coaches are fired. Most retire

I only know one thing.

It doesn't matter if Fulmer was great, or terrible, or great but turned terrible, or any other combination of descriptors you can throw at him.

None of that matters.

The only thing that matters is, until we as a fan base get over our own tiny prejudices and preferences, and put Phillip Fulmer up on a shelf in our past, safely in our past, and recognize him as the second-best head football coach we've ever had, until we can do that, we're gonna keep pole-vaulting over this ant hill of a discussion topic. Waste of time and breathe and bandwidth.

Probably going to require that anyone who lived through the Fulmer years be dead and buried in the ground, first. And that's a pity.

I couldn't agree more.
I will for the life of me never understand the animosity towards those who tried and failed as coaches, players or ADs. All of them did what they thought would work. For awhile it may have and then failed or maybe never worked at all but to hang onto vitriol for a true VFL for 2 decades....senseless.

Personally i was certain Dooley and Pruitt were terrible hires but hoped they would prove me wrong and be great. They both were in over their heads...but i believe gave their best effort. The crap the Pruitt is pulling now...thats a different story and reason to have great animosity towrds the prick.

But continuing to spew disdain over any of them is only detrimental to putting this program back on top.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

Do.you really think winning at Wake is as easy as winning at UT?

If he manages to win the ACC at Wake he deserves national coach of the year consideration.

Unfortunately, ACC football ISNT SEC football. Yes they can win some games vs SEC but the grind is what kills you in this league. 4 or 5 straight SEC games isn’t like anything in college football

VN Store

Back