Crazy to think ...

DiderotsGhost

... if we fired Fulmer and replaced him permanently with Dave Clawson in 2008, we would never had a "lost decade".

No one would've supported that at the time, since Clawson was blamed for Fulmer getting fired. Yet, so obvious in hindsight that Dave Clawson was not the problem. Fulmer was the problem. (Case in point #2: Randy Sanders, successful OC at Florida State, Kentucky, and now doing well at ETSU as HC; considered a failure as OC at UT).

Clawson's going to go down as the greatest coach in Wake Forest history. Wake is now averaging 43.1 points per game this season and 7-0. I think they'll lose one at one point, but I'm rooting for them.

... if we fired Fulmer and replaced him permanently with Dave Clawson in 2008, we would never had a "lost decade".

No one would've supported that at the time, since Clawson was blamed for Fulmer getting fired. Yet, so obvious in hindsight that Dave Clawson was not the problem. Fulmer was the problem. (Case in point #2: Randy Sanders, successful OC at Florida State, Kentucky, and now doing well at ETSU as HC; considered a failure as OC at UT).

Clawson's going to go down as the greatest coach in Wake Forest history. Wake is now averaging 43.1 points per game this season and 7-0. I think they'll lose one at one point, but I'm rooting for them.
While not a fan of "what if"...what IF...:rolleyes::eek:

Yep. Fulmer was always the problem. He was a great OLine coach and recruiter. But he needed Cutcliffe to succeed. He trusted Cut enough to hand him the keys and keep his hands off. With Sanders and Clawson, he meddled. Which is what he does best.

Fulmer fired himself for his refusal to let Clawson bring in his assistants who KNEW THE OFFENSE. So instead of being able to teach the players the offense in the off-season/preseason, he had to teach the coaches who in turn had to teach the players when they themselves still didn't know it fully.

That was the main mistake Fulmer made.

Last edited:
While not a fan of "what if"...what IF...:rolleyes::eek:

I know, I know!

I know it's going to be an unpopular post, but it is sorta crazy to think about it. We had one of the best coaches in the country and he got blamed for Fulmer's deficiencies.

Of course, if you start to think about all the possibilities in 2008, we probably had a good 10 - 12 different paths and Mike Hamilton managed to put us in "The Darkest Timeline".

I only know one thing.

It doesn't matter if Fulmer was great, or terrible, or great but turned terrible, or any other combination of descriptors you can throw at him.

None of that matters.

The only thing that matters is, until we as a fan base get over our own tiny prejudices and preferences, and put Phillip Fulmer up on a shelf in our past, safely in our past, and recognize him as the second-best head football coach we've ever had, until we can do that, we're gonna keep pole-vaulting over this ant hill of a discussion topic. Waste of time and breathe and bandwidth.

Probably going to require that anyone who lived through the Fulmer years be dead and buried in the ground, first. And that's a pity.

You’re insane. Clawson sucks And wake hasn’t played anyone good

Reactions: 1986sugarvols

Agree 1000%. Clawson’s won everywhere but here because of a meddling head coach that sabotaged his own OC.

They’d get slaughtered but it would be so awesome to see them run the table and make the playoff.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Would have gotten fired going 3-9 twice at Tennessee. He is only 47-45 or close to that overall.

Would have gotten fired going 3-9 twice at Tennessee. He is only 47-45 or close to that overall.

He wouldn't have gone 3-9 at Tennessee with Tajh Boyd and his own staff. Hell, even Dooley, the most incompetent coach in UT history, went 6-6 in 2010.

I remember Georgia coaches laughing because they knew what play we were running based on alignment by that point in the season.

Reactions: guesscrazy
In reality Clawson is 78 wins and 77 losses as a head coach At Bowling Green and Wake. One 10 win season at BG and two 8 win seasons at Wake In 13 years as a head coach. Do you really think Tennessee fans would have lived with a .500 coach For 13 years (Not that we have done any better).

VN Store

Back