CPF On Vols Radio Now

Originally posted by bleedingorange@Sep 27, 2005 12:38 AM
Fulmer sucks, the heart of our players won that game
[snapback]152661[/snapback]​

I was waiting for one of these. :crazy:

Sanders did a good job. The offense FINALLY started executing in the second half. It's the players that need to execute.

I think we should all be crediting the offensive line for this one. They gave Ainge nothing to work with in the first half, and Riggs very few big play opportunities. The second half turnaround was amazing.

True, EA had to think fast, duck, pray, and many other things. But, his decision making compounded the situation. Instead of stepping up, he joined them. Hope he rebounds mentally. We will need him.

Originally posted by GVF@Sep 27, 2005 1:09 AM
True, EA had to think fast, duck, pray, and many other things.  But, his decision making compounded the situation.  Instead of stepping up, he joined them.  Hope he rebounds mentally.  We will need him.
[snapback]152779[/snapback]​

I agree that while Clausen didn't get as much pressure, he made the right reads and took a sack instead of throwing the ball blindly over his head.

The o-line play definitely stepped up in the 2nd half, but Ainge also held onto the ball too long several times. People criticize the dink and dunk, but it beats getting sacked.

Originally posted by GVF@Sep 27, 2005 12:09 AM
True, EA had to think fast, duck, pray, and many other things.  But, his decision making compounded the situation.  Instead of stepping up, he joined them.  Hope he rebounds mentally.  We will need him.
[snapback]152779[/snapback]​

I agree. My concern with EA this year especially has been decision making. I'm not going to trash him for it. His arm is better but decision making worse than Rick's. Hopefully, it can be coached.

It's easier to make decisions when you've got plenty of time to do it. When you give Ainge time behind the line, you get freshman Erik. When you can't handle a pass rush to save your life, you get sophomore Erik. Pretty simple. We all know a QB can only play as well as their o-line will allow them to.

Milo, you have posted this over and over. I disagree that you can blame this solely on the o-line. Ainge did not make good decisions, did not get rid of the ball quickly, and consistently threw high and too hard.

Originally posted by Arclight@Sep 27, 2005 12:40 AM
"We were the better conditioned f/ball team"
[snapback]152674[/snapback]​

Did anyone notice the sideline girl early talking about the heat, and how LSU didn't seem to be letting it get to them, and it was getting to the Vols, blah blah... Then how many LSU players laid down on the field from cramps? 3-4? Stupid girl... it was the Vols that were still playing hard at the end, while the Tigers were writhing in cramp pains!

C'mon Milo, you're smarter than that. You watch way to much f'ball to know better. While the QB needs that protection, he is also the one who sets the tone for it. Simply put, he did not lead. He followed.

True. Big mixture of things. Time for Fulmer to try and get things working again.

But still, 'twas a great day for me.

Go Vols

The reason Ainge looks hurried more than Clausen is because he holds the ball, scrambles into pressure, and doesn't know where to go with the ball. He often looks like he is guessing what to do.

Most offenses, ours included, are based a lot on timing. Clausen looked like Steve Young out there tonight, getting the ball out and on time. That is all we need - good decision making.

At this point, I'm curious of EA's work ethic in practice and game study. No one can legitimately argue his level of raw talent. He seems like he knows he is EA and that is enough and he'll ride last years performance. Heck, he was good enough to run off BS. Bet he wishes he'd stayed. EA just doesn't look mentally prepped. He has struggled all 3 games. O line may can take blame for an outing, but not all 3.

I dunno about questioning him in practice. The coaches saw SOMETHING that caused them to pic EA over RC, and that would have to have been in practice...

VN Store

Back