COVID basketball....

BruinVol

I must be honest this has been my least enjoyable basketball season in my lifetime and it doesn’t have anything to do with our Vols losing a few more games when we expected.

I miss games where the crowd becomes such a factor that you know the home team isn’t going to denied and I also miss watching teams silence opposing arenas.

With that said how much did the covid atmosphere really effect the product we saw on the court???

after seeing Fulky today I was reminded that his high energy type style instantly made him a fan favorite his freshmen year. He immediately felt the emotion of the crowds and today it became ever more obvious that he is a very emotional player. His greatest moment as a Vol was at Rupp feeding off of the crowd I am convinced.

It’s my opinion that the lack of atmosphere around the venues of this season really hurt John fulkerson as well as others.

I’d love to hear thoughts on this subject that really isn’t talked about as much as I’d have thought

Last edited:
I must be honest this has been my least enjoyable basketball season in my lifetime and it doesn’t have anything to do with our Vols losing a few more games when we expected.

I miss games where the crowd becomes such a factor that you know the home team isn’t going to denied and I also miss watching teams silence opposing arenas.

With that said how much did the covid atmosphere really effect the product we saw on the court???

after seeing Fulky today I was reminded that his high energy type style instantly made him a fan favorite his freshmen year. He immediately felt the emotion of the crowds and today it became ever more obvious that he is a very emotional player. His greatest moment as a Vol was at Rupp feeding off of the crowd I am convinced.

It’s my opinion that the lack of atmosphere around the venues of this season really hurt John fulkerson as well as others.

I’d love to hear thoughts on this subject that really isn’t talked about as much as I’d have thought

I actually wondered how the kids would play football last season due to this. When you’re barely a 6-6 team, playing in front of the crowd may just push you over the hump in a game or two to get you that 7-5 or 8-4. But a 6-6 team with bad coaching playing in front of cardboard cutouts….recipe for disaster (see 2020 football season).

To your point in regards to basketball, 17-7 is great in these conditions. If things are normal, you’re more than likely 20-4. Home court advantage is absolute, and a lot of players need it to perform. Imagine Van Halen (RIP) trying to play to an empty Tin Roof. Probably not going to get the same show as a packed out Civic Colosseum.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710

I never realized how much the noise of the crowd added to the enjoyment of watching sporting events on TV until this past year.We need the spectators back ASAP.

I actually wondered how the kids would play football last season due to this. When you’re barely a 6-6 team, playing in front of the crowd may just push you over the hump in a game or two to get you that 7-5 or 8-4. But a 6-6 team with bad coaching playing in front of cardboard cutouts….recipe for disaster (see 2020 football season).

To your point in regards to basketball, 17-7 is great in these conditions. If things are normal, you’re more than likely 20-4. Home court advantage is absolute, and a lot of players need it to perform. Imagine Van Halen (RIP) trying to play to an empty Tin Roof. Probably not going to get the same show as a packed out Civic Colosseum.
So if things are normal we only benefit with more home wins? No additional road losses?

Reactions: LibertyVol
I view the amazing atmosphere of the better college games as a reason the G league isn’t likely to buy all the top freshmen. Also wonder if the disappointing atmosphere of this Covid season might be what draws some players back for a 5th or 6th season. Felt bad for Fulky and Pons to go out without a packed TBA to cheer them on

I agree...this year is an (*) year in the record books. Each team is literally affected differently.,,some more, some less. To me, I'm just thankful we've gotten the season in, and we have a decent team w/ some good young talent. Hoping Springer and Johnson come back next year. If they do, along w/ Chandler coming in (who is true point guard), we should have the best back court in college basketball.

Sports in general just haven’t been the same period. I can only imagine how Fulkerson and Pons would have loved the ovation they would have received yesterday with a full house. They got cheated out of the accolades they deserved. When Fulkerson broke down the crowd would have gone wild showing him love.

I was a student at UT 1978-1982 and never missed a game at Stokely, mostly because of the high energy crowds that showed up every game. Like you, I've missed the home court advantage and the intensity of it all.

I was a student at UT 1978-1982 and never missed a game at Stokely, mostly because of the high energy crowds that showed up every game. Like you, I've missed the home court advantage and the intensity of it all.

I can’t even watch it on tv. I haven’t watched a single game all year where we weren’t playing and that’s very rare for me. Normally I’d be watching games of teams that are similar projected seeds cheering against them
This time of year. I simply have no desire to watch such games anymore

Fans are huge in CBB and a big part of how fun it is to watch, as you mentioned I have hardly watched any other games besides UT. Unfortunately this will be evident in the NCAAT too I’m afraid where we see the crowds get behind underdogs in route to upsets etc.

As for Fulky, I think he also suffered from actual COVID too, he looks weaker and the winded more easily, jmo.

Fans are huge in CBB and a big part of how fun it is to watch, as you mentioned I have hardly watched any other games besides UT. Unfortunately this will be evident in the NCAAT too I’m afraid where we see the crowds get behind underdogs in route to upsets etc.

As for Fulky, I think he also suffered from actual COVID too, he looks weaker and the winded more easily, jmo.

He had COVID. And having wisdom teeth surgery in January compounded his health issues. All that without even considering the physical toll he takes because apparently it’s no longer a foul in the SEC to beat on post players... so whoever has the heaviest guys have a huge edge.

Fulky mentioned during his interview how the youngest players have not been able to experience the atmosphere of TBA with a packed arena.At the same time other teams have had the same problem. 17 wins is a good year,keep recruiting players!

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Sports in general just haven’t been the same period. I can only imagine how Fulkerson and Pons would have loved the ovation they would have received yesterday with a full house. They got cheated out of the accolades they deserved. When Fulkerson broke down the crowd would have gone wild showing him love.
May not mean much but I jumped from my couch and went wild at home! Woke my little one up and pi$$ed my wife off. But oh well, you only get one John Fulkerson senior night!😁
GBO!!

Reactions: lastlap
I never realized how much the noise of the crowd added to the enjoyment of watching sporting events on TV until this past year.We need the spectators back ASAP.
yeah, have you watched a Duke home game this season...booooring!!
The crowd, fans, pageantry and pure chaotic craziness, is what sets college sports apart from the pros, imo.
GBO!!

Completely agree that it's just not the same during COVID with game atmospheres. With that said there are a TON of fans that would have killed to be allowed some fans at games like the SEC.

Reactions: lastlap
I'm not gonna lie. It is less enjoyable, but with the complete lack of sports so long last year, I was glad to enjoy ANY sports, and really enjoyed it much more than I expected.

Honestly it was better than nothing for sure, but ever since they started playing baseball last summer with no fans I felt like I was watching a bunch of scrimmages .

Reactions: VolAllen

It's never been the same for me watching as a fan anyways. Football and basketball have both been meh. It's nice to have it to follow and keep up with, but I've had no real investment in either sport this year.

VN Store

Back