Couple Observations

I wanted to share a couple of observations from the UGA game. I have seen a lot of talking points in threads, but I haven't noticed these in particular.

Maurer:
* Quick Release
* Reads his progressions fast
* Good pocket awareness (I know he was de-cleated on the blind side hit, but when the pocket was collapsing he showed the ability to extend the play)
* Energy
* And the most important...throws the ball away when the play is not there! Hallelujah!!

Oline:
* Pride
* Finally seeing some nasty streaks!! This is showing up from Kennedy, Wright, Smith, and Morris. This is exciting!! I have not observed this in a number of years. Their play has definitely stepped up.

Overall I finally saw improvement. I am hoping this continues throughout the season. I'm just glad the fans and the team has not thrown in the towel yet. Our lack of depth reared it's head in the second half. Any coach, including CJP will need at least 2 more solid recruiting classes to get this team to win 9-10 games.

Maurer played very well in the first half but not so much in the 2nd half when pressured. I have no idea why UGA did not send pressure in the first half. Does it take their staff 2 quarters to see what we were doing was working? Anywho, I think we have found our QB for the remainder of this season.

Indeed, Nebraska had one of the best Oline’s and Dline’s of any college team in recent memory.......short, strong, 'roided up, Caucasian corn fed mid-westerners........ they whipped our ass in the 2nd half

uh, fixed your post

Never? I still have nightmares of the 97/98 Orange bowl against Nebraska. They ROLLED us in the 2nd half and I think they put up over 400 yards rushing.[/QUOTE
Indeed, Nebraska had one of the best Oline’s and Dline’s of any college team in recent memory.......big strong Caucasian corn fed mid-westerners........ they whipped our ass in the 2nd half
Frost was flawless executing the option. Of course all the Nebraska teams were great running that offense.

Indeed, Nebraska had one of the best Oline’s and Dline’s of any college team in recent memory.......big strong Caucasian corn fed mid-westerners........ they whipped our ass in the 2nd half

I was at that game, and the Nebraska line blocking at the point of attack was impressive. I think I remember big John Henderson getting blocked on his a$$ the whole game, or maybe Shaun Alexander.

Good news: lot of improvement since Ga St and even from UF.
Bad news: they're still a bad team who don't have enough Juan Jennings in the fight.
Takeaway: the season isnt going to end as badly as we thought, but for them to pull off a bowl invite would be a miracle indeed.

Reactions: JoAllan
I was at that game, and the Nebraska line blocking at the point of attack was impressive. I think I remember big John Henderson getting blocked on his a$$ the whole game, or maybe Shaun Alexander.

Shaun Alexander?? Didn't know he transferred to Bama from UT. And he sure did slim down.

John Henderson was at Pearl-Cohn when we played Nebraska in 1997.

Jesus...

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Agree, hoping BM is back for this week. I wouldn't even put him in for the Bama game...
Wow, so now we will only play QBs we don’t care about against Bama.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but if this is part of the coaching decisions for TSIO, what an indication of how low we have sunk.

I can live with the lack of winning games (RIGHT NOW) as long as we see improvement and guys who want to fight to be out there. I think it's trending that direction.
Yep

Getting unsportsmalike penalties is waaaaay more important than not getting blown out.

Is there any length some of you wont go to defend this coach?

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Shaun Alexander?? Didn't know he transferred to Bama from UT. And he sure did slim down.

Jesus...

Agreed...

I seriusly doubt JH ever got blocked onto his ass in college. Man...to have him and Haynesworth again..those two were phenomenal and made the rest of the defense look much better than they otherwise would have.

I hope Pruitt takes note of the DB's poor tackling techniques and what it cost us. One in particular the DB launched at the runner/receiver and made solid contact but, the runner took the blow and kept on going for a big gain. He never attempted to wrap him up. I saw that throughout the night. Coaching should have already fixed that.
That was Shamburger, I think.

Reactions: basspond
Yep

Getting unsportsmalike penalties is waaaaay more important than not getting blown out.

Is there any length some of you wont go to defend this coach?

What an ignorant statement. I have not been defending the coach. And btw, you know good and well that I didn't mean literal fighting. Or maybe you didn't but a reasonable adult would.

I wanted to share a couple of observations from the UGA game. I have seen a lot of talking points in threads, but I haven't noticed these in particular.

Maurer:
* Quick Release
* Good pocket awareness (I know he was de-cleated on the blind side hit, but when the pocket was collapsing he showed the ability to extend the play)
* Energy
* And the most important...throws the ball away when the play is not there! Hallelujah!!

Oline:
* Pride
* Finally seeing some nasty streaks!! This is showing up from Kennedy, Wright, Smith, and Morris. This is exciting!! I have not observed this in a number of years. Their play has definitely stepped up.

Overall I finally saw improvement. I am hoping this continues throughout the season. I'm just glad the fans and the team has not thrown in the towel yet. Our lack of depth reared it's head in the second half. Any coach, including CJP will need at least 2 more solid recruiting classes to get this team to win 9-10 games.
I told everyone after the Spring game Maurer was the real deal, could extend plays like Joe Montana, but someone needs to give him a box of Wheaties, he looks like 160 lbs max soaking wet. I'm surprised he doesn't have a broken rib after that blindside hit.
FWIW the decleater hit that Maurer took was not from the blindside. He needs to see that blitzing cornerback coming OR the receiver needs to let him know OR the tackle needs to pick him up BUT ultimately it’s the QB’s responsibility to see the blitzer and react. Best case he throws to the receiver that was left open from the blitzing CB. Maurer will learn. He better or he won’t last long especially as another poster said he looks like he’s 160 lbs soaking wet.

I hope Pruitt takes note of the DB's poor tackling techniques and what it cost us. One in particular the DB launched at the runner/receiver and made solid contact but, the runner took the blow and kept on going for a big gain. He never attempted to wrap him up. I saw that throughout the night. Coaching should have already fixed that.
If we're thinking about the same run, it wasn't DS, but he shrugged off 3 or 4 tackles, one Vol didn't even try to tackle him, but tried a shoulder block, I believe he pickup up 40 yards on the play. And that set up one more UGA score. Our basic tackling skills are not there, by this time in the season.....

If we're thinking about the same run, it wasn't DS, but he shrugged off 3 or 4 tackles, one Vol didn't even try to tackle him, but tried a shoulder block, I believe he pickup up 40 yards on the play. And that set up one more UGA score. Our basic tackling skills are not there, by this time in the season.....

the prime example of a badminton player trying to play SEC football?
Could be

Reactions: I40flyer
BM looked pretty good, still has a long way to go. The first TD was a busted coverage but good on him for seeing and making the throw. He was completely shut down in 2nd half. Probably out next week from what I saw on sideline.

The fight the team showed was good.

Defense has a long way to go. Coaches have to blitz and put pressure if dline cant get the push. Even if it risk our secondary getting burned.

Bryce Thompson will embarrass this team before he leaves. He is a really good player, but he is a punk, plain and simple. Flame away, but unless he makes some major changes he is going to bit us in the rear sooner or later..
Good call on him being out doctor.

Never? I still have nightmares of the 97/98 Orange bowl against Nebraska. They ROLLED us in the 2nd half and I think they put up over 400 yards rushing.
Those 90's Nebraska teams basically every offensive lineman on the team played in the NFL. Probably true of the unit we just faced too.

Hate to break it to you, but Deangelo Gibbs has to sit out this year as he was not cleared by the NCAA.
Lol some people!!! If Hill wouldn’t have thrown that interception we would have had at least 3 more points lmfao!

Maurer:
* Quick Release
* Energy

Oline:
* Pride

Going to need 4+ years. 2 isn't enough

Jesus...

Glad you're on top of it LittleVol.... it was Shaun Ellis... ding, ding!

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back