Countdown to September 1st vs Ball State (Top 250 Vols)

peaygolf

The "Fly" is open.....Let's Go Peay!!!!
This will be fun for me to do. I’ve done my research and have made MY list of the top 250 UT Volunteer football players in school history.

There will be controversy, but that is expected and debate is wanted. I did my own research and have come up with MY personal list in order. Stats, All-Conference teams, All-American teams, trend setters, and captaincy, are a few of the criteria that I used to come up with my list.

Here is to a great 2022! Hope you enjoy:)

Last edited:
This will be fun for me to do. I’ve done my research and have made MY list of the top 250 UT Volunteer football players in school history.

There will be controversy, but that is expected and debate is wanted. I did my own research and have come up with MY personal list in order. Stats, All-Conference teams, All-American teams, trend setters, and captaincy, are a few of the criteria that I used to come up with my list.

This was a big surprise that you started early this year. Looking forward to see who makes the top 250.

A list that will also spark debate … The perfect off-season topic to keep discussion and debate going.👍

I'm psyched to go through this with you and VN, Peay. Thanks for all the hard work, in advance!

250 days ……….

#250-Mike Bevans

Bevans was a three year letterman and an All-SEC center in 1970 for the Vols. Mike played in 29 games, from 1968-1970. During his ‘70 All-Conference season, UT was 11-1 and finished ranked #4
View attachment 423913

That 1970 team may be the best Tennessee team ever that didn't win a championship. Probably better than many Tennessee teams that did............

Welcome back, my friend!

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for a happy and healthy 2022!

I was moved from tackle to center for the 1970 season at St. Joe's. I remember seeing Big Mike's picture in the UT media guide and noticed he used one hand to snap the ball. I thought that looked BA as hell and tried to emulate the method, however my hands were not quite (I was 12) big enough so I had to go back to having both hands on the ball. I grew about a foot between 12 and 13 and used one hand for the rest of my playing days. I also wore #51 at Catholic!

Welcome back, my friend!

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for a happy and healthy 2022!

I was moved from tackle to center for the 1970 season at St. Joe's. I remember seeing Big Mike's picture in the UT media guide and noticed he used one hand to snap the ball. I thought that looked BA as hell and tried to emulate the method, however my hands were not quite (I was 12) big enough so I had to go back to having both hands on the ball. I grew about a foot between 12 and 13 and used one hand for the rest of my playing days. I also wore #51 at Catholic!
Cool story.
I never played serious football like you, always imagined that the toughest position to play was center? What do you think?

Thanks OP. I certainly appreciate statistical exercises. I'm sure that was a massive undertaking involving a lot of research.

I'm going to do my own take off on how many of the Top 250 Vols I saw play in person. Using a baseball batting average percentage format, I'm off to a 1.000 start. Being older than dirt ought to help out.

Thanks OP. I certainly appreciate statistical exercises. I'm sure that was a massive undertaking involving a lot of research.

I'm going to do my own take off on how many of the Top 250 Vols I saw play in person. Using a baseball batting average percentage format, I'm off to a 1.000 start. Being older than dirt ought to help out.
I like this idea. 1.000 here too.

Reactions: mercuryvol
Cool story.
I never played serious football like you, always imagined that the toughest position to play was center? What do you think?

I think if you ask any old player they'll tell you they had the most challenging position out there. I will say this, I always thought offensive guard was one of the toughest because as a center, your primary job is to get the ball in the qb's hand, anything else is secondary. However, guards have to watch for nose guards and blitzes coming up the middle and then also pulling to lead block on sweeps and screens. Notice that virtually all defensive line stunts focus on the guard-center-guard part of the o-line.

Last edited:
Ball State?

Legendary Ball U.

iu

Welcome back, my friend!

St. Joseph’s in Madison?

Reactions: OneManGang

VN Store

Back