Countdown to September 1st vs Ball State (Top 250 Vols)

21 days.........

#21 - Herman Hickman

Hickman was from Johnson City and played HS football at Chattanooga Baylor before he played at Tennessee. As a first year varsity player in 1929, Hickman was an undersized Tackle and was move to guard, where his speed could benefit the Vols run game. He bulked up during the offseason, and arrived weighing 235 lbs as a junior in 1930. Blocking for greats, Bobby Dodd and Gene McEver, Hickman helped lead the Vols to a 9-1 record. His excellence on defense was apparent as well, as the Vols held their opponents to 31 points for the season. In 1931, Hickman was nothing more than a bulldozer, helping lead UT to a 9-0-1 record and a victory in the NY Charity Game vs NYU. His defensive exploits were again on display, holding teams to 15 total points and 8 shut-outs. In the NY Charity Game, NYU got to the Volunteers' 5-yard line and ran four plays right at Hickman; they surrendered the ball at the 23, and football writers scrambled to change their All-America ballots. When one said Hickman was "the best guard the South ever produced," Coach General Bob Neyland snarled, "Herman Hickman is the greatest guard football has ever known." Hickman was named All-Southern and All-American following the season. He went on to play in the NFL for the Brooklyn Dodgers from 1932-1934, and was named All-Pro in 1933. After is NFL career, Hickman became an assistant coach and was the Head Coach at Yale. He later was a television and radio analyst and broadcaster, a writer, and a professional wrestler. Hickman is considered by many to be the most famous lineman in the history of Southern football and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1959.

61BD33CD-7274-44E2-AA07-AAA423C5A69D.jpeg

Not sure when you changed your avatar photo but I love it.

I've had this one from the start. Definitely one of the Vol greats.

My uncle saw Jackie play in HS and college and used to work with a guy who was on the football team at Fulton back in the day, so I got some stories second hand about Jackie's competitive greatness.
He said by Jackie's senior year at Fulton you could just smell the fear and defeat on the other team before kickoff. The collisions were spectacular because the style of running the ball at the time was getting the ball deep in the backfield and trying to get steam to run over the defense. That just played right into Jackie's hands. He came full speed and no one could block him. Uncle said you'd hear the pads pop in the parking lot and know who delivered the hit.

Heck, they still talk about a hit he had on the QB against Oak Ridge 55 seasons ago. That's crazy.

Last edited:
I've had this one from the start. Definitely one of the Vol greats.

My uncle saw Jackie play in HS and college and used to work with a guy who was on the football team at Fulton back in the day, so I got some stories second hand about Jackie's competitive greatness.
He said by Jackie's senior year at Fulton you could just smell the fear and defeat on the other team before kickoff. The collisions were spectacular because the style of running the ball at the time was getting the ball deep in the backfield and trying to get steam to run over the defense. That just played right into Jackie's hands. He came full speed and no one could block him. Uncle said you'd hear the pads pop it in the parking lot and know who delivered the hit.

Heck, they still talk about a hit he had on the QB against Oak Ridge 55 seasons ago. That's crazy.

The trio of Walker, Reynolds and Kiner may very well be the best at UT. It is certainly the best I have ever seen.
So Mr Peay....my guess is that all 3 of them are in the top 15.

20 days............

#20 - Stanley Morgan

There have been many "do-it-all" athletes in UT history, but not many that were any better than Morgan. From 1973-1976, Stanley did everything that was asked of him, even when he didn't want to. As a freshman, he was used primarily as a WR, where he caught 22 passes for 522 yards and 4 TDs. Before the 1974, season, Morgan reluctantly switched to running back, and became one of the greatest in the conference, rushing for 723 yards on only 128 carries and scoring 11 TDs. he also had 10 receptions for 234 yards and 2 TDs, while returning 29 punts for 375 yards an a touchdown. He was named 1st Team All-SEC as a WR and 2nd Team as a RB. As a junior, Morgan was just used as a RB, carrying the ball 133 times for 809 yards and 8 TDS. He only caught 2 passes, but was still a return threat, scoring 2 TDS on punt returns. In the Maryland game, he scored on a 50 yard run and a 70 yard punt return. His 201 yards rushing in the Hawaii game set a UT single game record. As a senior in 1976, he went back to a duel threat, rushing for 388 yards on 90 carries and catching 14 passes for 317 yards, all while fighting injuries through out the season. His 201 yards vs TCU was the 2nd most in school history at the time. His 11 TDs were the second most in the SEC and was named All-SEC at both WR and RB. For his career, Morgan STILL hold the record for most all-purpose yards with 4,642 and shares the modern day career record with 39 total TDs. He was inducted into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame in 2000. Morgan was the first round pick by the Patriots in 1977, and was a 4X Pro-Bowl receiver and is a member of New England's Hall-of Fame.

66318576-142B-404E-A54C-7A024BE4E509.png

20 days............

#20 - Stanley Morgan

There have been many "do-it-all" athletes in UT history, but not many that were any better than Morgan. From 1973-1976, Stanley did everything that was asked of him, even when he didn't want to. As a freshman, he was used primarily as a WR, where he caught 22 passes for 522 yards and 4 TDs. Before the 1974, season, Morgan reluctantly switched to running back, and became one of the greatest in the conference, rushing for 723 yards on only 128 carries and scoring 11 TDs. he also had 10 receptions for 234 yards and 2 TDs, while returning 29 punts for 375 yards an a touchdown. He was named 1st Team All-SEC as a WR and 2nd Team as a RB. As a junior, Morgan was just used as a RB, carrying the ball 133 times for 809 yards and 8 TDS. He only caught 2 passes, but was still a return threat, scoring 2 TDS on punt returns. In the Maryland game, he scored on a 50 yard run and a 70 yard punt return. His 201 yards rushing in the Hawaii game set a UT single game record. As a senior in 1976, he went back to a duel threat, rushing for 388 yards on 90 carries and catching 14 passes for 317 yards, all while fighting injuries through out the season. His 201 yards vs TCU was the 2nd most in school history at the time. His 11 TDs were the second most in the SEC and was named All-SEC at both WR and RB. For his career, Morgan STILL hold the record for most all-purpose yards with 4,642 and shares the modern day career record with 39 total TDs. He was inducted into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame in 2000. Morgan was the first round pick by the Patriots in 1977, and was a 4X Pro-Bowl receiver and is a member of New England's Hall-of Fame.

View attachment 479953

I’m so happy Stanley Morgan made the Top 20.

In less than a month...

In less than 3 weeks...

In less than 20 days...

In less than 500 hours...

...our lads will be playing football on the gridiron.

I can not wait.

On the one hand, I could stand on my head for 3 weeks. But on the other hand, 500 hours seems like forever away.

I'm so eager for the campaign to begin.

Go Vols!

20 days............

#20 - Stanley Morgan

View attachment 479953
Stanley was playing while I was enrolled at UT. I watched him play in Neyland stadium and met him in Fall 1975.

19 days……

#19 - Bobby Dodd

The Kingsport native was part of the famous backfield of “Mack-Hack-and Dodd.” Dodd was a gifted passer, graceful runner and a superb punter during his three varsity seasons. From 1928-1930, Dodd led UT to a 27-1-2 record and caused Vols fans to cheer, “In Dodd We Trust.” In 1928, he single-handedly helped defeat Alabama. He threw a late TD to tie the game at 13-13, and then minutes later punted the ball out of bounds at the one yard line. On the following play, UT scored a safety to win 15-13. In 1929, Dodd again led UT to a 9-0-1 record and was named All-Southern. In 1930, with star halfback Gene McEver out for the season, Dodd carried the load and lead UT to a 9-1 record. In the Vanderbilt game, Dodd accounted for 212 out of the Vols 226 total yards. He averaged 42 yards on 14 punts, ran for 39 yards and threw for 159 yards and two touchdowns in the 13-0 victory. He also intercepted two passes in the game. Dodd also led UT to an upset win over Florida in 1930, where he called for a “fumble rooskie” that was run for a TD. Dodd was named All-Southern again and was named to Grantland Rice’s All-American Team. Dodd was not only excellent on offense, but is also remembered as one of the best defensive backs of his era. He also lettered in basketball, baseball, and track while in Knoxville. After college, Dodd went on to become one of the most successful coaches in college football history at Georgia Tech. Dodd is one of only four people to be elected to the College Football Hall of Fame as both a coach and a player.

B0B2A0E0-82DE-4887-A587-3CFDA90F0637.png

VN Store

Back