Countdown to September 1st vs Ball State (Top 250 Vols)

40 days…..

#40 - Chuck Webb

Webb played in a total of 12 games, starting only 7, but left his mark as one of the greatest players ever at running back. After redshirting in 1988, Webb started the’89 season backing up Reggie Cobb. Even though he was 2nd string, Webb ran for 134 yards vs UCLA, 93 yards vs Auburn, and 83 vs Georgia. When Cobb was kicked off the team, Webb got the starting job. All he did was run for over 100 yards in every game he played in the rest of the season (missed the Vandy game). He had 111 vs Bama, 132 vs LSU, 162 vs Akron, 145 vs Kentucky, but it was the Ole Miss game and Cotton Bowl game that made Chuck a legend. His 294 yards vs Ole Miss is still a UT record. What almost as impressive is that 142 of those yards were gained in the fourth quarter, with UT behind at the time. In the Cotton Bowl win vs Arkansas, Webb ran for 250 yards and 2 TDs, winning MVP honors. For the season, Webb ran for 1,236 yards and 12 touchdowns, averaging 5.9 yards per carry and earned 1st team All-SEC honors, leading UT to an SEC Championship. As a redshirt sophomore in 1990, Webb opened the season with 131 yards in the tie with Colorado, but sustained a devastating knee injury early in the first quarter of the second game. He missed the reminder of the season and left school for the NFL, where he was a 3rd round pick by the Packers. To this day, some will argue that Webb is the greatest back in UT history, unfortunately, his injury never allowed us to see what could have been. In his short time in Knoxville, he captivated all of us and gave all Vols fans many great memories.

95BF229B-7655-4AC1-AB04-7667CD6490C5.png

39 days……

#39 - Marcus Nash

Despite playing along side Kent and Price, Nash made a name for himself in Knoxville during his four years. As a freshman in 1994, he caught 5 passes for 77 yards, but showed what was to come with 3 receptions for 51 yards and a TD in the Gator Bowl. As a sophomore, Nash broke into the starting lineup in the fourth game and quickly established himself as a trusted receiver. He had two TDs vs UF and 100 yards and 2 TDs vs Alabama. He finished the ‘95 season with 43 receptions for 512 yards and 4 TDs. In ‘96, he was the second leading receiver on the team, making 53 catches for 688 yards and 3 TDs. Nash had 3 games with over 100 yards during the season and 31 of his receptions resulted in first downs. As a senior, Nash had six 100 yard games in the regular season, including an amazing 3 game stretch vs Southern Miss, Arkansas, and UK, where he had 431 yards and 7 touchdowns. He also had 9 receptions for 126 yards and a TD in the SEC Championship game victory. For the season, Marcus had 76 receptions for 1,170 yards and 13 TDs and was named 1st team All-SEC. His 76 receptions still stand as a single season school record. He is second all-time with 177 career receptions, second all-time with 2,447 yards, and third with 20 touchdowns. He was a 1st round pick by the Broncos in 1998 and won 2 Super Bowl rings.

1687ACEA-CECA-4D7D-BC17-37239801CC1A.png

236 days……

#236 - Ja’Wuan James

From 2010-2013, James started all 49 games of his career, second most for an offensive lineman in UT history. James was named All-Freshman team in 2010 and anchored the line in 2011 that only allowed 18 sacks for the season. As a junior, his pass protection helped allow only 8 sacks for the year. As a senior, James was named to the Outland Trophy watch list and was named 2nd team All-SEC. In 2014 Ja’Wuan was drafted in the first round by the Miami Dolphins.

View attachment 427526
He’s better than 236

172 days……..

#172 - Dustin Colquitt

The Colquitt family is synonymous with Tennessee punting and Dustin was as good as any of them. As a redshirt freshman in ‘01, he averaged 40 yards a kick and was named All-Freshman SEC. In 2002, he came into his own, averaging 43 yards per punt including a 68 yarder vs Miami. He had 16 punts over 50 yards and 10 punts downed inside to 10 yard line. He was named 2nd team All-SEC. His best season was in ‘03, where he was a finalist for the Ray Guy award, averaged 45 yards per punt, 19 over 50 yards, and 9 downed inside the 5 yard line. He was named All-SEC and All-American for his efforts. As a senior, he averaged 41 yards a punt and was named 1st team All-SEC. He was a 3rd round pick by the Chiefs in the ‘05 draft, winning a Super Bowl with them. He’s a 2X Pro Bowler and currently plays for the Browns.

View attachment 439801
Should be higher

59 days…….

#59 - Andy Kelly

Kelly, a Dayton, Tn native, didn’t play much as a freshman in 1988 when UT went 5-6. Kelly began his sophomore season behind Sterling Henton, but got his chance with during the Alabama game, and never looked back. Simply put, Kelly was the most prolific QB in UT history, until Manning. He finished 1989, with 1,299 yards and 7 touchdowns, helping UT to a Co-SEC championship and a Cotton Bowl victory. In ‘90, he took on a more active role in the offense, passing for 2,241 yards and 14 TDs. He set the record for most passing yards in a season, most completions in a game, and most yards in a game (399 vs ND.) he helped lead a major win over UF and guided the Vols to an SEC Championship and a comeback victory over Virginia in the Sugar Bowl. As a senior, Kelly etched his name in Vols lore, mounting the epic comeback vs Notre Dame and led Ut to the Fiesta Bowl. He passed for 2,759 yards and 15 TDs, shattering his own single season record. For his career, Kelly threw for 6,397 yards and 36 TDs and was named 2nd Team All-SEC twice. He left UT as it’s all time passing leader and became one of the greatest players in Arena Football history. Three New Year’s Day bowls, epic wins, and records galore get you high on my list.

View attachment 470069
I wasn't sure when Andy was coming along on the list but Kelly is to me what Streater and Robinson are to many on volnation. My memories began with the Vols around 89. Luckily my father was handy with the beta and VCR players so I've seen many on here mentioned before my time. As a nine year old boy in my mind Kelly could do no wrong. Every pass was going to make it and if he was behind center I knew we had a chance of victory no matter the odds. Kelly, along with my father's love for TN, had me hooked on the Vols. Interesting enough since following the Big Orange, I've only missed one game as far as not seeing it or hearing it on radio. I was 11 and decided to go to a friend's birthday skating party over listening to the Miracle at South Bend. As many recall we trailed 31-7 before Miley ran the block back before half. I had shut off the game in disgust to go into the party. As fate would have it we returned to our vehicle to hear John Ward exclaim Tennessee 35 Notre Dame 34. I still remember the screaming in that car! I swore then I'd never miss a game no matter the deficit and I haven't. Many times we give Kessling a hard time and I realize he's no John Ward ( who is?) but I'm so thankful for the Vol Network. It's been a big part of my life. Sometimes life can deal you gut punches and sorrows, but I'm thankful for my father, the Vols, hand held radios, and the joy brought to me from a rusty ole VCR.
Go Vols!

I wasn't sure when Andy was coming along on the list but Kelly is to me what Streater and Robinson are to many on volnation. My memories began with the Vols around 89. Luckily my father was handy with the beta and VCR players so I've seen many on here mentioned before my time. As a nine year old boy in my mind Kelly could do no wrong. Every pass was going to make it and if he was behind center I knew we had a chance of victory no matter the odds. Kelly, along with my father's love for TN, had me hooked on the Vols. Interesting enough since following the Big Orange, I've only missed one game as far as not seeing it or hearing it on radio. I was 11 and decided to go to a friend's birthday skating party over listening to the Miracle at South Bend. As many recall we trailed 31-7 before Miley ran the block back before half. I had shut off the game in disgust to go into the party. As fate would have it we returned to our vehicle to hear John Ward exclaim Tennessee 35 Notre Dame 34. I still remember the screaming in that car! I swore then I'd never miss a game no matter the deficit and I haven't. Many times we give Kessling a hard time and I realize he's no John Ward ( who is?) but I'm so thankful for the Vol Network. It's been a big part of my life. Sometimes life can deal you gut punches and sorrows, but I'm thankful for my father, the Vols, hand held radios, and the joy brought to me from a rusty ole VCR.
Go Vols!
Nice!

38 days...........

#38 - Derek Barnett

In 2014, Barnett became the first true freshman to start on the Defensive Line in school history. He had tree sacks vs Ole Miss and South Carolina and registered 10 sacks for the season and 20 TFLs. As a sophomore, he open even more eyes nationally when he recorded 15 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, and a sack vs Oklahoma. For the season he registered 69 tackles, 10 sacks and 12.5 TFLs. He was named 2nd team All-SEC and had a sack in five consecutive games. In 2016, he was the SEC Defensive Lineman of the week vs Alabama, SEC Defensive Player of the week in the win over Georgia, and was Chuck Bednarik Award Player of the Week vs Florida. He had 59 tackles, 13 sacks, and 19 TFLs for the season and was named 1st Team All-SEC and 1st Team All-American in 2016. For his career, Barnett set the UT record for most sacks with 32 and is 2nd in school history with 52 TFL's. He decided to forgo his senior season and was a 1st round pick by the Eagles in the 2017 NFL Draft.

A93F2D1D-697C-459F-A4D2-600CA9C249DC.png

38 days...........

#38 - Derek Barnett

In 2014, Barnett became the first true freshman to start on the Defensive Line in school history. He had tree sacks vs Ole Miss and South Carolina and registered 10 sacks for the season and 20 TFLs. As a sophomore, he open even more eyes nationally when he recorded 15 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, and a sack vs Oklahoma. For the season he registered 69 tackles, 10 sacks and 12.5 TFLs. He was named 2nd team All-SEC and had a sack in five consecutive games. In 2016, he was the SEC Defensive Lineman of the week vs Alabama, SEC Defensive Player of the week in the win over Georgia, and was Chuck Bednarik Award Player of the Week vs Florida. He had 59 tackles, 13 sacks, and 19 TFLs for the season and was named 1st Team All-SEC and 1st Team All-American in 2016. For his career, Barnett set the UT record for most sacks with 32 and is 2nd in school history with 52 TFL's. He decided to forgo his senior season and was a 1st round pick by the Eagles in the 2017 NFL Draft.

View attachment 475411
List is getting good...soooooooo many excellent players left and only 37 slots left.

FWIW - I have Barnett slightly higher, closer to 30, but I base that more on the intangible stuff he brought to those teams.

Reactions: peaygolf
List is getting good...soooooooo many excellent players left and only 37 slots left.

FWIW - I have Barnett slightly higher, closer to 30, but I base that more on the intangible stuff he brought to those teams.
I was torn with Barnett. He was so good, but ONLY once was All-SEC. I’m being very picky, but needed to to set my list……goodness he was good

38 days...........

#38 - Derek Barnett

View attachment 475411
Barnett is my MVP for the 2016 FL win.

Seemed like he started the 2nd half a one man wrecking crew collapsing the pocket, forcing 3 & outs, like 3 or 4 drives in a row.

With only 37 slots remaining I'm fearful that one of my favorites isn't going to make the list because I would've thought he would've been mentioned long before the final 40 spots. He played from 89-92. If memory serves me correctly, he played defensive back the first two seasons but mainly receiver the last two. He also played special teams. I'm not going to say his name yet and I'm not trying to attempt a "stump the peay" moment. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he sneaks in here. For those that may want more information I believe he played pro for the Saints and the Cardinals, but I definitely know he played for the Saints for sure. Regardless, I'm excited to see the last 37 Volunteers revealed.

With only 37 slots remaining I'm fearful that one of my favorites isn't going to make the list because I would've thought he would've been mentioned long before the final 40 spots. He played from 89-92. If memory serves me correctly, he played defensive back the first two seasons but mainly receiver the last two. He also played special teams. I'm not going to say his name yet and I'm not trying to attempt a "stump the peay" moment. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he sneaks in here. For those that may want more information I believe he played pro for the Saints and the Cardinals, but I definitely know he played for the Saints for sure. Regardless, I'm excited to see the last 37 Volunteers revealed.
JJ!

One of the greatest walk-ons ever. He was defiantly considered.:)

This thread has been so exciting. All my very favorites are still in play.

deal-or.gif

JJ!

J.J. McCleskey? :)

1658856620444.jpeg

JJ!

Thought a walk on may get extra consideration for taking the long road but I understand his accolades were lacking. I still admire the heck out of him until this day. I just felt like he was the kinda guy that would just jump up and say "Coach whatever you need I'll try my hand at it!" I went as far as making sure my son's initials are J.J. Love the heart of the underdog. He was a competitor for sure!

40 days…..

#40 - Chuck Webb

Webb played in a total of 12 games, starting only 7, but left his mark as one of the greatest players ever at running back. After redshirting in 1988, Webb started the’89 season backing up Reggie Cobb. Even though he was 2nd string, Webb ran for 134 yards vs UCLA, 93 yards vs Auburn, and 83 vs Georgia. When Cobb was kicked off the team, Webb got the starting job. All he did was run for over 100 yards in every game he played in the rest of the season (missed the Vandy game). He had 111 vs Bama, 132 vs LSU, 162 vs Akron, 145 vs Kentucky, but it was the Ole Miss game and Cotton Bowl game that made Chuck a legend. His 294 yards vs Ole Miss is still a UT record. What almost as impressive is that 142 of those yards were gained in the fourth quarter, with UT behind at the time. In the Cotton Bowl win vs Arkansas, Webb ran for 250 yards and 2 TDs, winning MVP honors. For the season, Webb ran for 1,236 yards and 12 touchdowns, averaging 5.9 yards per carry and earned 1st team All-SEC honors, leading UT to an SEC Championship. As a redshirt sophomore in 1990, Webb opened the season with 131 yards in the tie with Colorado, but sustained a devastating knee injury early in the first quarter of the second game. He missed the reminder of the season and left school for the NFL, where he was a 3rd round pick by the Packers. To this day, some will argue that Webb is the greatest back in UT history, unfortunately, his injury never allowed us to see what could have been. In his short time in Knoxville, he captivated all of us and gave all Vols fans many great memories.

View attachment 474934

if memory serves correctly, Coach Majors stated that Chuck Webb was the greatest running back he had ever seen or coached. Pretty tall words coming from a man of his stature.

if memory serves correctly, Coach Majors stated that Chuck Webb was the greatest running back he had ever seen or coached. Pretty tall words coming from a man of his stature.
I remember that.....Tony Dorsett????
That's tall company. IF Webb had stayed healthy, and decided to return for his red-shirt junior season, my Top 5" would be totally different.

38 days...........

#38 - Derek Barnett

View attachment 475411
I’ve only seen 2 defensive players since I’ve started watching ut football be so dominant. Derek Barnett is one of em. Man I wish having him on D. You knew when it was 3rd down and long the dude was gonna make something happen.!
The other is Eric Berry. I’m wondering where he ends up on your list.. I almost named my son Eric Berry. Even more so his first name was going to be, Eric Berry. Middle name, Eric Berry. And last name, Eric Berry. Thank god his mother was there. !

37 days……

#37 - Johnnie Jones

Out of Mumford, Tn, Jones was a work horse for Coach Majors. As a freshman in 1981, Jones played very little, gaining a total of 25 yards. In ‘82, Jones was splitting time at tailback, a had good games vs Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt. For the season, he had 421 yards and 4 touchdowns. With the starting job seemingly in hand as a junior, Jones injured his ankle and played only sparingly in the first three games, prompting him to consider quitting football. Listening to his father’s advice, Jones stuck it out for one more week. Six days later, Jones erupted for 121 yards in front of his family and friends vs The Citadel in Memphis. The rest is history. A few weeks later, Jones etched his name into lore. In the annual battle with Alabama, and the game tied at 34 with only minutes remaining, Jones took a 3rd and 11 pitch, and weaved his way 66 yards for the winning TD. He finished with 112 yards for the game. The following few weeks, Jones set two UT records with 41 carries for 234 yards vs Rutgers. He broke his own record with 248 yards vs Vanderbilt. He also the MVP of the Citrus Bowl win over Maryland, rushing for 154 yards and two 4th quarter touchdowns in the 30-23 victory. He finished with 1,116 yards (first Vol ever over a thousand) and 5 TDs and was named 1st team All-SEC. Jones started off the ‘84 season as a Heisman candidate, and rushed for 203 yards in the opener and followed that up with 197 yards in game two and 118 yards in the tie with Army. He injured himself vs Auburn and fought the injury the rest of the season. He still managed to score the game winning TD vs Bama again, and record 100 yard games down the stretch vs UK and Vanderbilt. Jones was again named 1st team All-SEC, as well as 2nd team All-American, rushing for 1,290 yards and 10 TDs. For his career, Johnnie rushed for 2,852 yards and 19 TDs. He held records in total rushing yards, most carries in a single game, most yards in a single game, and most consecutive 100 yard games (6) when he left UT. Several backs have surpassed his totals since, but Jones was the first. He helped set the stage for the ‘85 season and the resurgence of Vols football into the national spotlight again. Jones is still revered for his greatness and deserves to be mentioned more as one of the greatest backs in school history.

EE635DA8-ABE8-4EBB-88E6-ECADF39680E2.png

Last edited:
37 days……

#37 - Johnnie Jones

Out of Mumford, Tn, Jones was a work horse for Coach Majors. As a freshman in 1981, Jones played very little, gaining a total of 25 yards. In ‘82, Jones was splitting time at tailback, a had good games vs Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt. For the season, he had 421 yards and 4 touchdowns. With the starting job seemingly in hand as a junior, Jones injured his ankle and played only sparingly in the first three games, prompting him to consider quitting football. Listening to his father’s advice, Jones stuck it out for one more week. Six days later, Jones erupted for 121 yards in front of his family and friends vs The Citidel in Memphis. The rest is history. A few weeks later, Jones etched his name into lore. With the game tied at 34 with only minutes remaining, Jones took a 3rd and 11 pitch, and weaved his way 66 yards for the winning TD. He finished with 112 yards for the game. The following few weeks, Jones set two UT records with 41 carries for 234 yards vs Rutgers. He broke his own record with 248 yards vs Vanderbilt. He also the MVP of the Citrus Bowl win over Maryland, rushing for 154 yards and two 4th quarter touchdowns in the 30-23 victory. He finished with 1,116 yards (first Vol ever over a thousand) and 5 TDs and was named 1st team All-SEC. Jones started off the ‘84 season as a Heisman candidate, and rushed for 203 yards in the opener and followed that up with 197 yards in game two and 118 yards in the tie with Army. He injured himself vs Auburn and fought the injury the rest of the season. He still managed to score the game winning TD vs Bama again, and record 100 yard games down the stretch vs UK and Vanderbilt. Jones was again named 1st team All-SEC, as well as 2nd team All-American, rushing for 1,290 yards and 10 TDs. For his career, Johnnie rushed for 2,852 yards and 19 TDs. He held records in total rushing yards, most carries in a single game, most yards in a single game, and most consecutive 100 yard games (6) when he left UT. Several backs have surpassed his totals since, but Jones was the first. He helped set the stage for the ‘85 season and the resurgence of Vols football into the national spotlight again. Jones is still revered for his greatness and deserves to be mentioned more as one of the greatest backs in school history.

View attachment 475630
My parents were at that game: their favorite game ever. Love that you led with "Mumford." John Ward loved to say it.

Last edited:
Peay: you forgot "Alabama" as the opponent in the sentence beginning "With the game tied at 34 with only minutes remaining..." I'll delete this line after you add it, too.

My parents were at that game: their favorite game ever. Love that you led with "Mumford." John Ward loved to say it.

Legendary. GBO!! Good ol Tennessee boy too. Thanks y’all for the history as always!

VN Store

Back